This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

calcium malabsorption that does not resolve with supplementation

Allias

Allias Newbie

Hello, I have chronic malabsorption of calcium, iron and vitamin B9 linked to celiac disease. I manage to compensate for the deficiencies thanks to iron and vitamin B9 supplements but not calcium (I have tried a lot of calcium supplements and different easily absorbable forms of calcium citrate, calcium chloride, calcium bisglycinate, etc.). Symptomatically, I have the typical symptoms of a calcium deficiency (neck spasms, neuropathy, etc.). Biologically, I have high PTH, low ionized calcium levels, normal total calcium levels, normal vitamin D levels, and normal calcitriol (active form of vitamin D), normal magnesium levels, high alkaline phosphatase levels. I am coming to you because I cannot find a solution. Can ferritin, which is not in the optimal levels, hinder calcium absorption? Because I noticed that in my blood tests from when I was as a teenager when my ferritin was below 100 there was a high level of alkaline phosphatase. or maybe the gene that codes the protein transporting calcium is defective linked to an iron deficiency. I also thought it was linked to the malabsorption of fatty acids which chelated calcium in the intestine so I tried not eating anything for 2 days then taking calcium supplements but it didn't work. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @Allias!

May we assume you have been officially diagnosed with celiac disease? You do not address this at all but I assume you are a celiac since you are posting on a forum dedicated to that medical condition. Or, perhaps you are investigating the possibility of celiac disease as the reason for your poor calcium, folate, and iron absorption?

High Alkaline Phosphatase levels point to liver or bone disorders. Elevated liver enzymes are a common symptoms of celiac diease and, in fact, was what led to my own diagnosis of celaic disease over 20 years ago.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - trents replied to matts's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Potential diagnosis

2. - matts replied to matts's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Potential diagnosis

3. - trents replied to matts's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Potential diagnosis

4. - trents replied to HannahF's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Oatmilk and oats

5. - trents replied to matts's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Potential diagnosis

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Diane Woods
    Newest Member
    Diane Woods
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Okay, Scott and I were correct in our assumption then. It was a specific celiac blood antibody test and it was positive. 
    • matts
      Hi, the exact name on the blood test is ‘Tissu transglutaminase IgA lev’
    • trents
      cristiana, what do you mean when you say "I recall my total IgA wasn't convincing"? Convincing of what? That one isn't even checking for celiac disease per se. It's only run in order to check for IGA deficiency since IGA deficiency can cause false negatives in the actual individual IGA celiac antibody tests. The total IGA test is not a direct test for celiac disease at all. But if one's total IGA is low (or deficient) it suggests that the physician should forsake the results of the IGA panel and move on to the IGG panel.
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @HannahF! The problem with oats can not only be "cross contamination" but also "cross reaction". Cross contamination refers to the inadvertent inclusion of wheat, barley or rye in the oatmeal. Cross reactivity refers to the fact that the main protein in oats (avenin) is similar enough in structure to gluten such that it causes gluten type reaction in about 10% of celiacs.  A statistically more concerning cross reaction issue in the celiac population is dairy. The protein casein in dairy is similar in structure to gluten and some small studies suggest that 50% of celiacs react to it like they do gluten. Many celiacs are also lactose intolerant, at least until there is substantial healing of the villous lining of the small bowel after going gluten free. Lactose is the sugar component of milk.
    • trents
      matts, can you please post the actual name of the test you allude to in your original post? We are uncertain which test you refer to as there are a number of blood antibody tests that can be run for celiac disease. Some of us assumed it was the tTG-IGA test since that is the first tool (and often the only one) that most physicians will grab out of the diagnostic bag when checking for celiac disease. But RMJ could be correct in stating it could have been the total IGA test. The "total IGA" test (and it also goes by other names) that RMJ referred to checks for IGA deficiency. If you are IGA deficient it can create false negatives in the celiac specific IGA antibody blood tests. Besides IGA antibody blood tests, there are also IGG antibody blood tests that can be run for celiac disease detection. The IGG ones can be useful when someone is IGA deficient. Please refer to the article that Scott Adams embedded in his post above.