This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bee balm lipbalm not gluten free

Grace Good

Grace Good Newbie

I feel super ill from putting in the lip balm. It says their gluten free but I've found a lot of manufacturers do that. 

Can companies actually be honest if they aren't entirely sure 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the fourum, @Grace Good!

I cannot find any claims in the Amazon advertising for this company's products to the effect of it being gluten free. Yet, you state in your post that "it says their gluten free". What is "it"? Is there such a statement on the packaging?

Scott Adams Grand Master

If you mean this product:
https://mybeebalmco.com/products/beebalmtiktok

It lists the ingredients below, and the only one that could have gluten would be the Vitamin E, and unfortunately their website does not indicate that it is gluten-free:

Ingredients

Beeswax - creates a protective barrier, retains moisture, and contains anti-inflammatory properties;

Propolis extract - protects skin from environmental stressors, soothes and promotes healthy skin cell regeneration;

Vitamin E (Tocopherol)- has strong antioxidant properties, neutralizing free radicals, moisturizing the skin, and effectively improving skin aging;

Other: liquid paraffin, mineral fat, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene copolymer, Essence, Jojoba oil, CI15985, Honey Extract

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Niki nyquist
    Newest Member
    Niki nyquist
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      By the way, B12 is necessary for the uptake of iron. B12 deficiency is extremely common in the celiac population and, of course, plugs right into the fact of anemia also being extremely common in the celiac population. Some people have a form of anemia known as pernicious anemia in which the anemia is caused by the death of the parietal cells in the stomach. The parietal cells are where "intrinsic factor" is produced, an enzyme necessary for the absorption of B12 which, in turn, is necessary for the absorption of iron from the diet.
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @Jake R.! First of all, kudus to the doc who ordered the test checking for celiac disease based on the family history of it. Many in the celiac population suffer for many years before getting a proper diagnosis and that despite have classic GI symptoms. I will embed an article that you might find helpful in polishing your efforts to eat gluten free as there can be quite a learning curve involved. Some of this may be overkill unless you are a super sensitive celiac. Gluten is hidden in many food products where you would never expect it to be found and then there is the whole challenge of CC (Cross Contamination), particularly when dining out.    But let me caution you about the falling of the "other shoe", so to speak, of finding out you have celiac disease. There is this great sense of relief at the front end of the experience in finally discovering what what wrong with you that was causing so much distress and discomfort. But then it begins to dawn on you that having celiac disease has a social cost to it. You can't just accept spontaneous invitations to go over to friends or family's homes for dinner or to go out to their favorite restaurants to eat with them. Some of them simply will not understand or believe that this is a real medical problem and that you must avoid all gluten in order to guard your health and be safe. You may begin to feel like a fifth wheel at social gatherings and it may cost you some friendships. I'll embed an article link on one person's commentary about this phenomenon. Just a heads up.        
    • Scott Adams
      Welcome to the forum and it's great to hear that you're recovering and getting your life back to normal. I also went through a few years of going to doctors, and also had panic attacks, trips to the emergency room, etc., so I also felt relieved to just figure out what was going on.  This article has some detailed information on how to be 100% gluten-free, so it may be helpful (be sure to also read the comments section.):    
    • Scott Adams
      If you do end up with a negative test, approximately 10x more people have non-celiac gluten sensitivity than have celiac disease, but there isn’t yet a test for NCGS. If your symptoms go away on a gluten-free diet it would likely signal NCGS.    
    • Scott Adams
      Many people with celiac disease, especially those who are in the 0-2 year range of their recovery, have additional food intolerance issues which could be temporary. To figure this out you may need to keep a food diary and do an elimination diet over a few months. Some common food intolerance issues are dairy/casein, eggs, corn, oats, and soy. The good news is that after your gut heals (for most people who are 100% gluten-free this will take several months to two years) you may be able to slowly add some these items back into your diet after the damaged villi heal. This article may be helpful: