This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

dermatitis herpetiformis and cross reaction?

MO1984

MO1984 Newbie

I’ve been really struggling with getting my dermatitis herpetiformis flare ups under control lately. Somehow, despite my mother’s dermatitis herpetiformis always being on her back, and my brother’s always on his legs, mine roves around my body. It has now settled, quite uncomfortably in my nether regions. Despite a strict gluten-free diet I’m currently having the worst flare up I’ve ever had, and can’t shake it. 

This morning I had an AHA! moment, and am wondering if others have experienced this. Coffee cross reaction. Some studies have shown that the protein in coffee can trigger an autoimmune response. I generally find that I can enjoy coffee periodically it’s not an issue, however, if I consume it daily, or even 3 times a week habitually, I start to feel the creeping symptoms of chronic exposure. Sluggish morning, bloat, etc. This is cross reaction, not cross contamination: whole beans, roasted locally, ground on site, no added flavors. 

about two months ago I started using a gluten-free mushroom coffee thing, and felt fantastic! It has a very small amount of coffee in it, and the benefits of the other components has been astounding. But now, two months in, my dermatitis herpetiformis is out of control. I haven’t, however, felt overt “glutened” symptoms…so I’m wondering if maybe the low daily coffee intake has somehow triggered the autoimmune dermatitis herpetiformis without triggering the gut symptoms? 

Good grief, celiac is a tricky disease… and this is coming from someone who’s over 23 years into diagnosis. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @MO1984,

I have dermatitis herpetiformis, too.  I've learned that glutamate can make dermatitis herpetiformis worse.  Some foods like mushrooms can contain high levels of glutamate.  Coffee and caffeine cause increased production of glutamate.  

Glutamate is a helpful excitatory neurotransmitter that our bodies can make.  It helps wake us up in the morning.  It keeps us alert when under stress.  But too much can cause insomnia.  And too much glutamate can cause the antibodies associated with dermatitis herpetiformis (tTg 3) to become more active and deposit in the skin.  

dermatitis herpetiformis is pressure sensitive.  dermatitis herpetiformis eruptions occur where there's pressure on the skin, like in the crotch where the skin folds together, under elastic bands in underwear, and along seams of clothing.  

Wearing loose clothing made of natural fibers helps immensely.  

Hope this helps!