This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Offsetting Ingestion of Gluten

JoeS

JoeS Newbie

My wife read an article which said taking a Bufferin aspirin prior to eating something that might contain gluten can offset the symptoms. Is that true?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Aspirin is an NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug) and an analgesic (a pain killer). Theoretically, it could have some impact on masking the unpleasantness of a gluten reaction but in actual practice I would be very surprised if it offered any real benefit. And even so, aspirin tends to irritate the lining of the gut so that might offset any pain benefit it might otherwise afford. 

It would be helpful if your wife could run down that article and you could supply is with a link to the source for evaluation.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum @JoeS. Although there may be medications that reduce or eliminate the symptoms of celiac disease, the bigger issue is that there are many known health risks associated with those who have celiac disease but are not on a 100% gluten-free diet. It would be good for you to encourage her to stick to that diet, and support her with that approach in any way that you are able to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Layu replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Help plz with results. celiac?

2. - Layu replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

3. - Wheatwacked replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

4. - Scott Adams replied to JoeS's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Offsetting Ingestion of Gluten

5. - Scott Adams replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Lana W
    Newest Member
    Lana W
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Layu
      My blood tests are good, calprotectin is good. The only thing is that antibodies to gliadin G are elevated, but I was told that they are excluded from diagnostic standards. I have 100 of these antibodies.
    • Layu
      I'm sorry, I didn't understand what kind of gallbladder removal is? I rarely have bloating, mostly in the morning. And it passes quickly. I was told that I most likely have IBS. Also sheep's stool, but every day and not solid
    • Wheatwacked
      Have you looked into other symptoms that eating gluten can cause if you have Celiac Disease and continue to eat gluten?  Many are way more dangerous and misdiagnosis can lead to unessary suffering by treating the symptoms of that disease instead of the cause Celiac.  Diarrhea is not the only symptom.  But taking out a Gall bladder because of Celiac Disease malapsortion only to have those symptoms reappear? Foolish. Eating yogurt will have the same effect as Aflorex and cheaper. What Are the Symptoms of Celiac Disease?  
    • Scott Adams
      Welcome to the forum @JoeS. Although there may be medications that reduce or eliminate the symptoms of celiac disease, the bigger issue is that there are many known health risks associated with those who have celiac disease but are not on a 100% gluten-free diet. It would be good for you to encourage her to stick to that diet, and support her with that approach in any way that you are able to.
    • Scott Adams
      I don't believe your doctor can make a blanket statement like "the diarrhea from celiac disease would not be stopped by the medications," because everyone is different. Many celiacs don't have any symptoms at all, including diarrhea. If you have celiac disease you should be 100% gluten-free, even if medications might hide your symptoms, and this is because other damage will be done, and you will have many health risks going forward which can be avoided with the diet.