This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm not yet convinced

NatalieCO

NatalieCO Newbie

Hello everyone. Looking for some opinions! I'm 43f, overweight by 70lb, have had loose stools for many years now and many other symptoms that fit with Celiac, as well as other conditions, inc bloating, fatigue, lethargy at times, etc. Hashimoto's confirmed as teenager. 

I went to new GI in June to establish care to get routine colonoscopy due to family hx of colon cancer. The NP tested me for Celiac (surprised as none of my family have but somewhat limited info as my mom's parents died in their 40s and 60s and mostly estranged from dad's)

tTGa was weak positive at 8.03 (normal 0-5)

tTGg neg <0.82 (0-4.99)

IgA normal 189 (70-400)

Endoscopy showed mild lymphocytosis. No blunting or atrophy. Neg H pylori. Rare NSAID use. Report said unknown significance but possible treated or latent Celiac sprue or other cause. I have been eating a lot more carbs so tests would be accurate.

Stool culture negative.

GI said I likely have Celiac but I wanted more proof. Saw NP the other day who said since my tTGa was pos and lymphocytes present, then those 2 criteria say I have Celiac. She ordered more bloodwork per my request as I'm still not convinced:

TTGA normal 4.62 (0-4.99)

DGP IgA normal <0.72 (0-4.99)

DGP IgG normal 1.06 (0-4.99)

EMA and genetic tests are pending.

I'll do what I need to be healthy, but I'd like to know for sure before changing so much of my life and possibly seeing insurance rate increases with Celiac on my medical record... We have 4 young kids (2-12) so life is already quite busy!

I welcome any thoughts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @NatalieCO!

So, you have conflicting results from two different tTG-IGA tests, one at 8.03 and the other at 4.62, i.e. one a weal positive and the other a negative.

When they did the endoscopy, did they also biopsy the small bowel lining to have it checked microscopically by a lab for signs of the damage that would be caused by celiac disease's inflammation? 

You say you were eating lots of carbs at the time testing was done. Did that include plenty of wheat products?

If not celiac, you could have NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity). NCGS shares many of the same symptoms of celiac disease but does not damage the lining of the small bowel as does celiac disease. There is no test for it. It is 10x more common than celiac disease. Some experts feel it can be a precursor to the development of celiac disease. Eliminating gluten from your life is the antidote for both.

NatalieCO Newbie

Thanks so much for the response!

Yes the endoscopy had multiple samples taken of the duodenum which showed 'mild duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis with preservation of the villous structure.' The NP told me this shows damage consistent with Celiac but the histology report says there could be other causes inc H. pylori, Nsaid use, infection (all ruled out) and autoimmune disease (I have Hashimoto's). That's why I'm not yet convinced it is Celiac

And yes by lots of carbs, I do mean lots of gluten containing products

trents Grand Master

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. Hashimotos would not affect the villous lining of the small bowel. So, all things considered, it makes me wonder if you are on the cusp of celiac disease. 

I think you are at the point where you need to trial a gluten free diet for a few months and see if some of your symptoms improve. You have had both the blood testing and the endoscopy done so there is no concern about invalidating testing by trialing the gluten free diet.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I don't believe in the "weak positive" classification--it is a positive test, and your immune system is likely reacting to gluten in an abnormal way. 

This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - trents replied to NatalieCO's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

I'm not yet convinced

2. - NatalieCO replied to NatalieCO's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

I'm not yet convinced

3. - trents replied to NatalieCO's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

I'm not yet convinced

4. - NatalieCO posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

I'm not yet convinced

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

dca75
    Newest Member
    dca75
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. Hashimotos would not affect the villous lining of the small bowel. So, all things considered, it makes me wonder if you are on the cusp of celiac disease.  I think you are at the point where you need to trial a gluten free diet for a few months and see if some of your symptoms improve. You have had both the blood testing and the endoscopy done so there is no concern about invalidating testing by trialing the gluten free diet.
    • NatalieCO
      Thanks so much for the response! Yes the endoscopy had multiple samples taken of the duodenum which showed 'mild duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis with preservation of the villous structure.' The NP told me this shows damage consistent with Celiac but the histology report says there could be other causes inc H. pylori, Nsaid use, infection (all ruled out) and autoimmune disease (I have Hashimoto's). That's why I'm not yet convinced it is Celiac And yes by lots of carbs, I do mean lots of gluten containing products
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @NatalieCO! So, you have conflicting results from two different tTG-IGA tests, one at 8.03 and the other at 4.62, i.e. one a weal positive and the other a negative. When they did the endoscopy, did they also biopsy the small bowel lining to have it checked microscopically by a lab for signs of the damage that would be caused by celiac disease's inflammation?  You say you were eating lots of carbs at the time testing was done. Did that include plenty of wheat products? If not celiac, you could have NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity). NCGS shares many of the same symptoms of celiac disease but does not damage the lining of the small bowel as does celiac disease. There is no test for it. It is 10x more common than celiac disease. Some experts feel it can be a precursor to the development of celiac disease. Eliminating gluten from your life is the antidote for both.
    • NatalieCO
      Hello everyone. Looking for some opinions! I'm 43f, overweight by 70lb, have had loose stools for many years now and many other symptoms that fit with Celiac, as well as other conditions, inc bloating, fatigue, lethargy at times, etc. Hashimoto's confirmed as teenager.  I went to new GI in June to establish care to get routine colonoscopy due to family hx of colon cancer. The NP tested me for Celiac (surprised as none of my family have but somewhat limited info as my mom's parents died in their 40s and 60s and mostly estranged from dad's) tTGa was weak positive at 8.03 (normal 0-5) tTGg neg <0.82 (0-4.99) IgA normal 189 (70-400) Endoscopy showed mild lymphocytosis. No blunting or atrophy. Neg H pylori. Rare NSAID use. Report said unknown significance but possible treated or latent Celiac sprue or other cause. I have been eating a lot more carbs so tests would be accurate. Stool culture negative. GI said I likely have Celiac but I wanted more proof. Saw NP the other day who said since my tTGa was pos and lymphocytes present, then those 2 criteria say I have Celiac. She ordered more bloodwork per my request as I'm still not convinced: TTGA normal 4.62 (0-4.99) DGP IgA normal <0.72 (0-4.99) DGP IgG normal 1.06 (0-4.99) EMA and genetic tests are pending. I'll do what I need to be healthy, but I'd like to know for sure before changing so much of my life and possibly seeing insurance rate increases with Celiac on my medical record... We have 4 young kids (2-12) so life is already quite busy! I welcome any thoughts!
    • glucel
      Finally found something with less methyl folate and 12. Many b complex are loaded with too much biotin which I did not want either. I will take an additional 100 mg tab of b1. I will take this lighter version for 3 weeks and maybe take the heavier one for 1 week. Not happy that autolyzed yeast added as other ing but will look into it further. Amount Per Serving% Daily Value Thiamin (as thiamine hydrochloride)9 mg750% Riboflavin (as riboflavin)4 mg308% Niacin (as niacinamide)45 mg NE281% Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride)10 mg588% Folate (as calcium L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) (240 mcg L-5-MTHF)400 mcg DFE100% Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)50 mcg2,083% Biotin (as biotin)30 mcg100% Pantothenic Acid (as d-calcium pantothenate)45 mg900% Food Blend Organic brown rice, organic kale, organic broccoli258 m