This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac friendly hotels on the Big Island, HI

Jseals21

Jseals21 Newbie

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Big Island for our baby moon in January. I have celiac, so I’d love to be able to stay at a hotel that had some accommodating restaurants or restaurants nearby. We plan to rent a car and travel around the island. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

I've had good luck using apps like Booking.com, Tripadvisor and Yelp to find gluten-friendly hotels and restaurants when traveling. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Azia
    Newest Member
    Azia
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      It is possible to get gluten-free meals at restaurants, but there is always a risk of contamination.  If you eat outside your home, you may want to consider taking AN-PEP enzymes with a meal, as there have been many studies done on AN-PEP which show that it can break down small amounts of gluten in the stomach, before it reaches your intestines. One of our sponsors here, GliadinX is the original brand to include AN-PEP, and has links to the studies on AN-PEP their site: https://www.gliadinx.com/publications   
    • Scott Adams
      Hi @TabithaJ, since you've already linked your symptoms with eating gluten, can I ask why you feel the need of a formal diagnosis? You've talked about the various symptoms you've had, which could be explained by undiagnosed celiac disease, but since you had negative blood tests for celiac disease it's possible that you may not have villi damage. I ask about the need for confirmation only because it sounds like you might stay gluten-free either way, and if that is the case it might not be wise to damage your gut again, as it can take months or years to heal, depending on the level of damage.
    • Scott Adams
      I've had good luck using apps like Booking.com, Tripadvisor and Yelp to find gluten-friendly hotels and restaurants when traveling. 
    • trents
      DQ2 has the strongest single gene association with the development of active celiac disease. DQ8 is next. Having both is even stronger and having homozygous celaic genes is also stronger.
    • Scott Adams
      I agree with @trents, but for genetic tests it does seem like there are some variations between different labs and the celiac gene markers that are included, but for your celiac disease blood test just make sure that a full celiac disease panel is done that includes total IgA.