This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omeprazole 20mg capsules prescription

Jherm21

Jherm21 Community Regular

Hello, 

I have had celiac for about 7 years and I'm confused about a medication. And asking my doctors or pharmacy about ingredients etc they just seem to think everything is gluten free. So I decided to come here and see if any fellow celiac knows how to move forward with taking this specific manufactured prescription or suggestions on what to do with the information the manufacturer gave me. I was recently diagnosed with GERD (through endoscopy) and my doctor prescribed omeprazole 20 mg capsules. She told me the prescription is different than otc because it can be safer to take for a longer period of time. Which time is what I need to heal the esophagus. But the manufacture through xiromed stated "the medication is formulated without intended gluten ingredients, but states one of the inactive ingredients polysorbate 80 may be derived from "wheat, corn or olives" which she could not tell me if it was made from wheat or not. I'm so confused and don't know what to do with that information. Help!!!! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

To manufacture polysorbate 80 requires multiple chemical reaction steps.  Even if one of the chemicals used to make it was derived from wheat, it would be highly unlikely that any gluten would still be there at the end.  Plus it is a partway down on the list of inactive ingredients in omeprazole, so there won’t be a huge amount of polysorbate 80 in each pill.

Jherm21 Community Regular

Ok thanks for the response. Assuming, this would be safe then? 

RMJ Mentor
4 hours ago, Jherm21 said:

Ok thanks for the response. Assuming, this would be safe then? 

I am a sensitive celiac and would not hesitate to take it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

kiwi wendy
    Newest Member
    kiwi wendy
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @alj67, IMO and SIBO are common in Celiac Disease.  Cutting out carbohydrates and following a Paleo diet, like the Autoimmune Protocol Diet, can rid the digestive tract of these bacteria.   Ask for a DNA test to look for the most common genes for Celiac Disease.  
    • knitty kitty
      I like the flushing form of Niacin, nicotinic acid.  I use Nature's Way brand.  I always check for fillers, like rice flour and cellulose, and avoid brands that use those.   I understand about studying the labels!  I've been through that situation frustration.  You'll learn quickly.   Do take a B Complex along with the additional Niacin.  And additional Thiamine, too.  Thiamine and Niacin work in tandem, sort of like a see-saw, to make energy and enzymes.  Don't take more than 500 mg of Niacin a day.  Do take more than 300 mg of Thiamine (Benfotiamine) a day. The B vitamins all need each other to work properly.  The B vitamins are water soluble, so excess is easily p'd out.   Are you taking Vitamin D?  It helps regulate the immune system and lowers inflammation.  D2 is synthetic and not well utilized by the body.  Choose D3, the natural form instead.  
    • knitty kitty
      @TabithaJ, Welcome to the forum! Since you're doing so well on a gluten free diet, I wouldn't recommend undergoing a gluten challenge and endoscopy.  You would be wrecking all the progress you've made.  I agree with your doctor about skipping the endoscopy.  Celiac damage can be patchy or out of reach, so the damage may be missed.  Your healing has already begun.    Ask for a DNA test to check for known Celiac genes.  You don't have to consume gluten for a DNA test.   Do get checked for nutritional deficiencies.  Talk to your doctor and nutritionist about supplementing with essential vitamins and minerals while healing.  Remember, gluten free processed foods don't have vitamins added to them like gluten containing products do.  You need to take more than a daily multivitamin to boost your absorption.   Keep us posted on your progress!
    • Wheatwacked
      Look at all the extra crap they have added.  No wonder you get sick from it.  Get a brand that is just vitamin D3.
    • Wheatwacked
      You got to be in it to win it.  If you are eating gluten free you will test negative.  The tests look for damage and an immune response to gluten.  I agree with you doctor. Unexplained infertility.  Deficient Iodine.  A Medium Urinary Iodine Concentration test will show it.  TSH and T4 will not show low iodine intake until you are very deficient.  Bread with iodine was the best source of iodine until 1970 in the US when they changed dough conditioner.  We limit use of iodized salt and the only good source of iodine left in the US is milk. I take 500 mcg of Liquid Iodine a day.  Improvement in brain fog, hair, skin, nails, slow healing. I was a mouth breather until I started GFD at 63 years old. I have been taking 10,000 IU a day of vitamin D since 2015 to get my vitamin D to 80 ng/ml.  It took 6 years to get there. "Choline also plays a role in regulating hormones and may be important for fertility. Research indicates that increasing choline may increase ovarian function and increase antral follicles, potentially helping women who are trying to conceive" Choline: The lesser-known pregnancy nutrient