This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potato Skins

happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI,

Here's an idea, I baked a whole bag of potatoes.

Cut them in 1/2s first, Wrapped each one in foil, cooked till soft.

Scooped out the middles and added fresh bacon, chopped green onion, sliced mozzerella and some spices, chicken.

Now, I have about 30 single potatoes in the freezer. I can pull one out and eat it at a time.

Nicole in Michigan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Thanks for the idea.. I was thinking about TGI Fridays potato skins. Now I can try this!

Green12 Enthusiast
HI,

Here's an idea, I baked a whole bag of potatoes.

Cut them in 1/2s first, Wrapped each one in foil, cooked till soft.

Scooped out the middles and added fresh bacon, chopped green onion, sliced mozzerella and some spices, chicken.

Now, I have about 30 single potatoes in the freezer. I can pull one out and eat it at a time.

Nicole in Michigan

Sounds really good, thanks for sharing!

I will have to try this soon, the sky's probably the limit with what you can top them with.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Another good choice is to make "Twice-Baked Potatoes" with bakers.

Just bake the potaotes as you usually do (the bigger the better)

When you are done, cut them in halves.

Scoop out the insides of the tater with a spoon.

Take all the insides, and put them in a mixing bowl. Add Butter, little cream cheese, Pepper Jack cheese and some milk (Salt and pepper and garlic powder)

Blend together

Then scoop the "tater mixture" back in the potato so it almost fills the potato (you don't want to go over the top)

Bake for another 20 minutes unocvered.

Garnish with parsely and bacon and parmesan cheese

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yum. I wonder if this would work without all the cheese...

Green12 Enthusiast
Another good choice is to make "Twice-Baked Potatoes" with bakers.

Just bake the potaotes as you usually do (the bigger the better)

When you are done, cut them in halves.

Scoop out the insides of the tater with a spoon.

Take all the insides, and put them in a mixing bowl. Add Butter, little cream cheese, Pepper Jack cheese and some milk (Salt and pepper and garlic powder)

Blend together

Then scoop the "tater mixture" back in the potato so it almost fills the potato (you don't want to go over the top)

Bake for another 20 minutes unocvered.

Garnish with parsely and bacon and parmesan cheese

This sounds yummy broncobux, I will have to try this one too!

Yum. I wonder if this would work without all the cheese...

Mango, that might be tricky to not use the cheese. The cheese and dairy holds it all together and melts and makes it all creamy, gooey, and yummy of course. Darn that dairy!

I don't know if you could mix in some olive oil and seasonings or herbs instead? It might be a little dry, but worth a try? Maybe you could experiment with milk substitutes for the milk?

• 2 weeks later...
ebrbetty Rising Star

good idea, do you throw away all the potato you scoop out or mix it up with the chicken?

I'll use Kraft cheese its lactose free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

That's great idea! I actually made "pizza skins" the other day. I had leftover mashed potatoes so i put them on Chebe pizza crust, threw on some bacon and cheese, heated it up and had pizza skins. Yum!

Bummer on the lactose. Could you use lactaid and a soy cheese (or rice cheese).

twice baked potatoes rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Trish W
    Newest Member
    Trish W
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Russ H
      Hello, and welcome to the forum. More knowledgable people might be able to chime in. Firstly, coeliac disease causes all sorts of bizarre manifestations in adults from chilblains to schizophrenia. There is a direct association between coeliac disease and arthritis in younger people, and coeliac disease has a common genetic predisposition with rheumatoid arthritis. It is certainly possible that your joint problems are related to coeliac disease, particularly if they manifest after consuming gluten. I rarely eat out anymore because I don't trust the kitchens, so I understand the effect of social events. It is hard at first but stick with it and you will get used to it and feel much better for it - it can take several years to fully recover in adults.  
    • Russ H
      An interesting presentation from 2023 concerning the effects of consuming purified avenin protein from oats. From my understanding of this study, people with coeliac disease do have T-cells that recognise and react to oats. However: 1. 38% of participants with coeliac initially developed raised blood inflammatory markers following consumption of avenin. 2. 62% developed at least one symptom (vomiting, headache, lethargy etc.). 3. Worse symptoms correlated with greater level of blood inflammatory marker (IL2). 4. Over 6 weeks there was no histologic damage or evidence of serologic disease and the immune response to avenin markedly fell. 5. Tolerance of oat avenin developed over 1-2 weeks, and symptoms disappeared. 6. 1 person of the 29 who participated in the study developed a wheat-type immunological response to avenin and had to leave the study.   The study supports the opinion that a subset of people with coeliac disease cannot tolerate oats at all and develop a coeliac-type response to avenin. It also suggests that most people with coeliac disease can tolerate oats without provoking villus blunting or raised serologic markers.   Oats in Coeliac Disease, Coeliac UK Research Conference 2023        
    • Jean Shifrin
      Hello, I am 67 and newly diagnosed, although I've probably had Celiac for many years. I did have digestive issues years ago, but went gluten-free for many years and my gut improved greatly and I slowly introduced gluten back into my diet. A few years ago I started have severe knee swelling in my arthritic knee. I have tried many treatments,  including a total knee replacement - but the severe swelling continued and I realized it was directly related to eating. Almost anything I ate caused severe swelling and pain. I tested positive for Celiac and am wondering if anyone else here has joint swelling symptoms from Celiac. Fortunately I am not currently dealing with digestive issues, but the knee issue is life-altering. I am a very active person and have had to be mostly sedentary for the last 2 years. I have been prescribed a low-dose of Prednisone, which helps the swelling a lot, but it is not ideal to stay on Prednisone long-term. I'm terrified to eat out or go to social events that always revolve around food. Has anyone else here had joint swelling issues with Celiac. If so, do you have any advice? Thank you.
    • cristiana
      @SoBannaz Have you ever been offered any sort of topical treatment for your skin? I occasionally have issues with my skin and during one of the lockdowns in the UK the itching was driving me up the wall - it was in my scalp, on my chest, shoulders, across the stomach.  I was really stressed and worried about it.  At his request, I sent a photo to my GP.  He happens to have a special interest in dermatology, and he came back with the diagnosis that I had eczema.  I was quite skeptical as when I think of eczema, I think of children with it on their elbows, knees and hands.  Also, I never had it as a child. He told me to buy something called Adex Gel which is an emollient cream with an added anti-inflammatory, and also prescribed me Betnovate cream, a steroid cream.  I was to take a bath in the morning, then put on the gel, then 20 minutes the Betnovate cream, thinly.  Then apply the creams again before bed, in the same order.   As I say, I was skeptical, but it was an absolute game changer.   At the time I was eating a lot of almonds and I think that could have been the cause.  At the moment I have it, too, this time it could be because I've been eating a lot of pure oats.  I think I can tolerate a small amount but can't over do it.   Or it could be our new washing powder, and I've been using a lot of hand gel because I've been trying not to give the family COVID - without success, as it happens!  It's hard to tie down the cause sometimes. My gastroenterologist says to me that coeliacs can suffer from itchy skin, not related to dermatitis herpetiformis.   I must be one of them. I am interested to read that you get relief from hot water.  I have to say that I find hot water actually may feel good at the time, but it can dry the skin and make things worse. Cristiana          
    • celiacchild16
      Does anyone know if Cracker Barrel Cheese Cubes are safe for celiac disease? The only allergen listed on the label is milk, but I don't know if they are processed in a facility that contains wheat or not. Thanks!!