This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression And Celiac

sillyyak

sillyyak Enthusiast

How do people cope with their depression if it is related to the celiac? I am suffering from depression. It is horrible. I take antidepressants, etc but how do people cope with the depression and when they want to eat somehting that that cannot? I think it is so hard.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

It is hard, don't deny yourself that. But I just try to focus on the positive - what CAN I have rather then what I can't have.

I also went on an anti-depressant due to the anxiety (and other life stresses) over freaking out about wether a food was safe.

I'm much better now - physically, emotionally and mentally.

jerseyangel Proficient

I suffered from anxiety and depression prior to being diagnosed. After 4-6 months on the gluten-free diet, those symptoms became much improved. The anxiety returns if I get glutened. I'm not sure how long you've been gluten-free, but hopefully in time, things will improve for you, too.

Guest mmc

I get EXTREMELY emotional and quite b*tchy when I get glutened. For instance, I got glutened yesterday, after only a few days being completely gluten-free and I woke up today in a bad mood...I cried most of the day and yelled the other. I can't seem to get it under control. I'm under extreme stress...f/t college, f/t work, 2 small kids, and a cross-country move coming up at the end of the month...hopefully it gets better once we get to the new house and school is out. Any ideas that would help beside anti-depressants ?

bluejeangirl Contributor

I don't know if you would want to do this or not because its alittle pricey but I take SAMe. I take 200 mg.s three times a day. Its helps me tremendously. It's also good for joint pain and liver health. I decided to go this route because I had the joint pain in my hips and wanted to try something naturally before it got any worse and had to see a doctor for it. But with the depression it works really well and almost feel like I'm being energized and feel more alert. The drawback is I don't sleep as long, it seems like I awaken after about 6 hrs and just lay awake for another hour and get up. Of course I was never a good sleeper and I can say I don't feel I suffer for it during the day. Well except for an occasional nap....about 2x a week I'll need a nap. I'm alittle anti drug though and thought I'd share whats been working for me. However it's not for everyone and alot of people need anti depressants and its NOTHING to be worried about in anyway. As a celiac you've been not assimilating the vitamins [especially B's] from the foods you've been eating. Make sure your taking suppliments. Eat alot of brown rice instead of white. Instead of food being your reward, think of other things. Maybe a walk in the park, a good movie, a new recipe for dinner, go the the library, help out in a soup kitchen or church, puppies, dogs, and children always make me laugh. Anything to break out of thoughts focusing on what your missing with your diet restrictions.

gail

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Depression goes hand-in-hand with celiac disease. It's documented.

I suffer, not only depression but post tramatic stress... I can't take mainstream medication because it is filled with gluten, dairy or corn. Beware of drugs (colored pills) with dyes they are CC with gluten I have been doing research...

Back to the topic...

Open Original Shared Link

They = the health care community and our government couldn't handle the truth about the real numbers of all the sick depressed angry people and children un-DX'ed in our country. We are a depressed nation for a reason. This country is being feed gluten and soy that is making us sick.

Look at Italy and some of the european countries that treat and understand the disease. They have a much different understanding and approach.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

HI SillyYak - I am so sorry you're depressed. I can tell you what happened to me - - I was depressed for YEARS, alternating wtih mania. The mania's really fun but the crash afterwards.....debilitating. Anyway, I've been gluten-free for almost four months. In the first 3 - 4 weeks or so, I felt so fantastic, and then went into a deep crash. I don't really know why, but I've heard of this happening with other celiacs after going gluten-free. So, back to Wellbutrin, and that was absolutely awful. I was crawling out of my skin and worse, with anxiety and depression, than before. Switched to Effexor and felt better almost immediately. I've been on the Effexor about a month now, and it's a low dose, just 75 mg. every other day. Doesn't work for everyone, but works well for me.

Our bodies react differently, I've read, to medications after going gluten-free. Might you need to try another medication? I do hope to be off all meds entirely at some point, but I needed to do what was best for me at this time...and feeling suicidal, as I was, really isn't good at all. ANd the fact that I was feeling that way when nothing in life had really changed indicated that there might be something chemically wrong.

Grieving over food...that is our heartache, and I didn't believe people when they said that they thought about what they COULD have instead of what they could NOT have...until recently. You know, it occurred to me the other day that it kind of has become second nature for me and I don't think about food that much - probably BECAUSE I feel so much better now. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

give yourself time and do let yourself cry at times over the food you can't have. But, watch the depression, do anything and everything you can to help yourself, adn you will get better.

Blessings -

susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you're finding the meds aren't helping, it's worth talking to your doctor about altering them - different dose, different type, to help you through this change. There's no denying that the gluten free diet is hard to adjust to, particularly if you're used to thinking that you ought to be able to eat anything you want to. If you don't already have a therapist of some variety, you may find that helpful as well, as the dietary change forces you into behavior modification, and if you're not up for the change, and don't have the coping mechanisms in place to deal with it, it can be quite a shock to the system. There's nothing wrong with asking for a bit of extra help in navigating that water. (I'd recommend a nutritionist or dietitian, but the consensus seems to be that most of them don't know what they're talking about when it comes to the gluten-free diet...)

At the least, know that you're not alone in finding it difficult to make the transition. And know that you're not alone in terribly missing things that you once loved and want to be able to continue to enjoy but know that you can't. It will take time to grieve those things and be able to get over them. And it will take time to find replacements for those you can find replacements for. But you will find it gets easier over time, with effort, and with the support of people who've been there (all the friendly folks on here), and hopefully with the support of your friends and family.

gabby Enthusiast

Going gluten-free is not fun. It is not happy. It is not even enjoyable. So don't beat yourself up for not loving this part of your journey.

But know that once you are completely gluten-free and your body has healed up, you will feel stronger, healthier and happier. It is hard to believe right now while the 'old-gluteny' foods are so close in your memory, but those memories will fade.

I can tell you that the first full year of going gluten-free was the most difficult for me because I had to face each season and holiday as one 'without' my old favorites. So this whole year felt like one of sadness. BUt the next year, I knew what to expect and believe it or not, it wasn't such a big deal.

A bit of advice from an old grizzled warrior (um, that's me) don't let the seasons and events this year come along without having a new plan in place. Go through your calendar right now and mark down all the events coming up. For example: birthdays, anniversaries, company picnics, school events, possible beach days, vacations, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Xmas, etc.

Next to each event write down those things you usually like to eat: example, for a birthday: cake with icing, ice cream, pizza, BBQ potato chips, coke, donuts, etc

Now go through each of these food lists and cross out the stuff that is not gluten-free (eg. regular cake mix, some icings, pizza crust, some flavorings in chips, etc,

Here is the important part: write down the foods you need to substitue. So, for example: for birthday cake, you'll need to get a gluten-free mix in advance, plus gluten-free icing, find a good brand of safe potato chips, etc.

This way, you won't be sitting there feeling like you're missing out on anything. there are lots of great products out there.....if you have any trouble finding a substitute (like gluten-free frosting? gluten-free m&ms?) just ask here.

This whole exercise shouldn't take more than half an hour...but it'll make your entire year so much more sunnier.

If you need help....you know where to find it !

aikiducky Apprentice

Are you taking B vitamins? That is the main thing that helps me with gluten depression - I'm not depressed other than when I'm glutened, so I'm not on any medication. When I get glutened I take a vit. B complex, a fairly big dose, and it really really helps.

Pauliina

Guest BERNESES

There's no denying it is REALLY hard- and you grieve just like you wouold the loss of anything. It has its ups and downs (right now I'm feeling pretty depressed myself- between Celiac's, gall bladder surgery, potential fertility problems. I could go on and on).

For me the depression came first back in 1989 and i have been on anti-depressants since. I don't know for a fact that it's related to celiac's, but i suspect it is. Medications help give you the energy to deal wwith what's wrong, but they don't solve the problems and they are NOT for everybody.

One thing that has been shown to work really well is fish oil. it helps with mood, joints (my chiro recommends it), heart, blood. It's an excellent supplement.

But, you will still grieve. Hugs to you, Beverly

par18 Apprentice
How do people cope with their depression if it is related to the celiac? I am suffering from depression. It is horrible. I take antidepressants, etc but how do people cope with the depression and when they want to eat somehting that that cannot? I think it is so hard.

Hi Sillyak,

My depression in the beginning was related to my physical condition. I was underweight and therefore unable to do those things that I had previously enjoyed. I took anti-anxiety medication only long enough to allow me to relax and sleep so I could gain back some weight. As soon as my physical condition improved I quit taking the meds. Dealing with the lifesyle change for me has mainly been an organizational issue with planning the meals ouside the home. I see food every day I cannot eat. When I am in the grocery store it seems as though every aisle is loaded with gluten. I just remember what it is I came there for and get it and get out. I have been blessed in that I have no health issues at present. Our home is basically gluten free and has been so from the beginning. My wife has been 100% supportive in my lifestyle change. I don't even think of getting accidentally glutened as I am pretty careful. I think if one can find outlets other than food to focus on then I think the depression has a chance to get better. Good luck.

Tom

Archived