This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Sore Throat Happen After Gluten?

Mabc

Mabc Apprentice

Hi, I'm still very new to this. I've been gluten free (as far as I know - I'm still learning) for 6 days (except for I found out the nuts I was eating the first 3 days were packaged at a place that also processes wheat.) Today I went out and ended up without food for hours with someone else controlling the situation because I wasn't driving and I got too hungry and ended up eating a hamburger, bun and all. I'm trying so hard to stick this out to see if my symptoms improve, so I'm really disappointed I didn't plan better.

Since I don't know if I have celiac yet, I wanted to ask if getting a sore throat and headache right after I ate could be related to the gluten. Thanks so much for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, the headache and sore throat could definitely come from being glutened. Those are two symptoms I get as well.

Take it as a learning experience. It's hard to do it perfectly at the beginning, and after years of just leaving the house without much planning, it takes a while to remember that you can't just pop into a burger place to eat. You'll get the hang of it!

Next time, just order the burger without the bun, though. It isn't perfect, as you could get cross-contamination. But then in frustration to eat the bun, too, will just backfire.

I have asked for just a burger without the bun before, and when I explained that absolutely no bread can touch it, and if the person making it could please wash his/her hands, and put on clean gloves before preparing it, I ended up being fine. Most places will try hard to keep you safe (no guarantee, though). They'll cooperate better if you let them know that you realize you're taking a risk, and as long as they do their best, you won't sue them if you get glutened.

Kaycee Collaborator

I don't so much get a sore throat, but a couple of times I have noticed when I eat gluten I get a cough, probably through an irritated throat, and at times my nose gets a bit congested. As a result it feels like I am catching a cold, but it only lasts for about an hour.

Cathy

bluejeangirl Contributor

I will sometimes get swollen glands in my neck the next morning, actually I'll feel it coming on during the night. I just expirenced this when I tried including oats back into my diet. I felt ok eating a small amount but then being alittle over enthusiastic I ate oatmeal cookies too many I'm afraid, I got the swollen gland thing. I think it was an overload to my immune system., I guess that's why celiacs catch alot of colds etc.

;)

Mabc Apprentice

Oh, thanks so much. I'm hoping that this will finally be a way I can have some control over my symptoms. I haven't noticed a great improvement yet, but if the sore throat could be caused by it, then maybe some of my other symptoms will go away over time.

I appreciate the help thanks so much.

Swingin' Celiac Newbie

Hey I'm also a newbie (sorta-2 months) with sore throat as a symptom. That's actually what triggered the long chain of events that led to my diagnosis. However, because I don't think I've eaten anything with gluten in it since going gluten-free I don't really know for sure if it's an actual reaction to the gluten. My throat just has this weird chronic nagging dull discomfort kinda thing goin' on so it's probably not the same with you, but I definitely agree, and so does my GI, that gluten can induce a sore throat for some with celiac disease. One question though--did you used to get sore throats (unrelated to colds) alot prior to your diagnosis? If not, it might just be some fluke thing or an allergy. Who knows for sure?

Archived