This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fake Paper Cuts

Lister

ajay Newbie

The skin on my hands will split, usually along deep cracks. The skin on the surface isn't dry-- it's more like it's under the surface of the skin. When I asked a doctor about it, she said I wasn't eating enough balanced fatty acids. I try to have fish and eggs on a pretty regular basis, and freshly-ground flaxseed sprinkled over other foods (salad, yogurt, etc). Since I've started to pay attention, my skin has remained intact and is generally in better shape. Walnuts are also a good source, I believe. Obviously, if you can't tolerate those foods, you may have to find other sources. I dunno if it's the same thing, but you do have to be pretty conscious about nutrition when you're making huge adjustments to your diet.

In the meantime, do *not* handle pepperoncini or cut lemons or anything!

• 11 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenniferlynnklins Newbie

I know this is a very old post but Lister did you find out what the problem was I am having the same issue mine I think he's related to my rheumatoid arthritis but I'm not sure? I hope you're fine and all is well

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

r72lee
    Newest Member
    r72lee
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• cristiana
      @CeeBee1807 This is the webpage you need to look at, I imagine the reading material is building up!  However, I think NHS have some useful info on diagnosis in eh UK on their site. https://www.coeliac.org.uk/information-and-support/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/ I just wanted to add that I too had odd liver function tests.  Raised globulins, which with iron deficiency, rang alarm bells at my GP surgery.  She was very worried about me.   The levels kept fluctuating and it wasn't until I had gastric symptoms they realised that I should be tested for coeliac.  When I later told my gastroenterologist about my strange liver function test results he said they saw my particular issue with other coeliacs, and he wasn't worried at all.   On a gluten free diet my levels normalised, only if I am in a middle of a flare do they go back up again, usually because I've consumed gluten inadvertently along the way.
    • CeeBee1807
      Thank you Wheatwacked, this is very helpful. I wasn't sure if it was something that would routinely be done with a gastroscopy or if it was something they would be able to tell by looking, if you know what I mean. I will definitely ensure that this will be included. 
    • CeeBee1807
      Hi AnnaNZ. AST and ALT I believe. I have only had one blood test which included liver function at this point, i'm currently waiting to be retested to see whether they are still elevated - this is due to be done in November.  
    • CeeBee1807
      Thank you cristiana, I will certainly mention it. I will check out Coeliac Uk also, seems like I have a weekend of reading ahead but I want to make sure I go armed with all the correct information. 
    • trents
      ALT and AST and they steadily increased over a period of seven years until I was diagnosed with celiac disease and went gluten free. Within three months of adopting a gluten free diet they were both back within normal range. They were never super high but, if I recall correctly, like you would see in someone with advanced cirrhosis but were chronically mildly elevated for a period of years and were slowly increasing with time.