This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A Safe Drive-thru Food I Can Eat?

Mabc

Mabc Apprentice

Help! Is there a safe drive-thru food anyone knows of?

Are taco chips at Taco Bell okay - like Nachos?

Melodi

:unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbg98 Contributor

The only fast food stuff I am comfortable with so far is Wendys chili and baked potatoes and Chick-filla fries. Still to nervous to order a burger without the bun, but have heard others say they do it, Im afraid of the whole CC thing!

CarlaB Enthusiast

The Chick-fil-a grilled chicken salad is okay, too.

I've also gotten scrambled eggs and sausage, both a la carte, at McDonanld's

How about a Starbuck's Frap, that would be a great lunch for me!

Elizabeth-Elindel Rookie

You can do McDonalds if you go to one that is going to be considerate. I have one in our area that I will eat at, but anywhere else... nope. Their MM Mcflury is gluten-free, along with a bunliss hamburger. OR you could do what I do and order a salid with a bunless hamburger and put the hamburger on the salid. :P Sooo good.... :) Their ranch dressing is not dairy-free, but is gluten-free. :D

olalisa Contributor

My favorite drive thru item is Chick fil a's chargrilled chicken salad. Substitute tortilla strips for the croutons. I personally like it with the Spicy dressing, but you can check the website for other gluten-free dressing choices

At Taco Bell, I like the Southwest Steak bowl without any sauce. No red strips. Also, the Zesty chicken bowl WITHOUT the zesty sauce (which makes it a NON-zesty chicken bowl, really)....and no red strips. I ask them to add a side of jalepeno peppers to get a little zest back.

At wendys I stick with a baked potato and salad. I don't trust the chili since I know someone who works at a wendys and said that, when they make a burger wrong, they remove it from the bun and throw it in a drawer to use in the chili later. That made me sad to find that out.

Enjoy!

tarnalberry Community Regular

If I'm doing fast food, I prefer to find a Chipotle or Baja Fresh.

Lane R Rookie

What do you get at Chipotle? The basket?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Ditto!

You can have anything at chipotle EXCEPT for their flour tortillas! The only things they fry are the corn tortilla shells and chips, so those are safe too! :)

I avoid the lettuce and cheese, though, since workers use their hands to dish those out.

I always have them change their gloves, and I always get the bol. I've been wanting to try the tacos though!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

afaik (as far as I know)

the only gluten free stuff at the Taco bell is the tostada and the beans and cheese. I think everything else has gluten, but I haven't called to check it out in at least 3 weeks.

however, I hit the Wendys a lot, the baked potato with chili is good (if you get bored with just eating the baked potato OR the chili, I just buy both then pour the chili on top)

uclangel422 Apprentice

Last time I checked with Taco Bell, the only gluten free items were the Tostada, Pintos and Cheese and the Mexican Rice.

I actually eat there a lot getting the Tostada's and the beans. I really like it.

Chipotle is fantastic though, its a great option. Their burrito bol is so yummy.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Here is the message from Taco Bell's website...

"Because wheat is a part of so many of our recipes, many items served in Taco Bell® restaurants are not suitable for gluten-restricted diets. For product-specific information about gluten and other potential allergens, please visit our Allergen Chart. Or, refer to our detailed Ingredient Statements."

Here is their food allergen list:

Open Original Shared Link

Bear in mind that I don't think they take into account cross contamination at their restaurants..

I just avoid them completely.

Mango04 Enthusiast

What does everyone order at Baja Fresh?

elonwy Enthusiast

Whats great about every Baja Fresh I've gone to, is that I show them my Triumph cards, usually to a manager, and they'll whip me up a special taco plate with fun stuff on it. I don't think we can have the rice, but the beans are ok, and the tortillas. They've been great to me. Nothing I get is anything specific on the menu, they just create it for me.

Elonwy

tarnalberry Community Regular

bowls at both places for me, just because it's easy. :-P

Mabc Apprentice

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

:)

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
Here is their food allergen list:

Open Original Shared Link

Bear in mind that I don't think they take into account cross contamination at their restaurants..

I just avoid them completely.

I'm with you. Thanx for the link!

Archived