This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Megan's Gagging Isn't Any Better

TCA

TCA Contributor

All of you are so sweet. Just overnight those prayers and star wishes and we should be good to go!

Hugs,

Tanya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient

Talked breifly with TCA this AM, sounds like they have car issues now so I will be running over to the RedCross to donate in place of her husband. If they do not get the car fixed in time to get up here next week, I might load up in my Durango and go get them (I forgot to offer that so posting it here incase she reads this before calling me back!). So pray for both our vechicals! :D:ph34r:

TCA Contributor

Yes, Vincent saved the day!!! Our car broke down, so Jarod didn't want to leave me without a way to go in case something happened with Meg. This was such a blessing to make sure she has an adequate supply for next week. We shouldn't need a ride up, but thanks Vincent. Our parents will be in town then and can help us out if needed.

Meg rested better last night, thank goodness. She and I both needed it. Jarod got up at 3 to give her the meds to let me sleep. I was sooo exhausted and am grateful.

Hope all of you have a great day and thanks for the sweet messages we've been getting on her caring bridge site!

schuyler Apprentice
Talked breifly with TCA this AM, sounds like they have car issues now so I will be running over to the RedCross to donate in place of her husband. If they do not get the car fixed in time to get up here next week, I might load up in my Durango and go get them (I forgot to offer that so posting it here incase she reads this before calling me back!). So pray for both our vechicals! :D:ph34r:

You're awesome Vincent!

Yes, Vincent saved the day!!! Our car broke down, so Jarod didn't want to leave me without a way to go in case something happened with Meg. This was such a blessing to make sure she has an adequate supply for next week. We shouldn't need a ride up, but thanks Vincent. Our parents will be in town then and can help us out if needed.

Meg rested better last night, thank goodness. She and I both needed it. Jarod got up at 3 to give her the meds to let me sleep. I was sooo exhausted and am grateful.

Hope all of you have a great day and thanks for the sweet messages we've been getting on her caring bridge site!

I'm so glad that Meg had a better night and that you were able to get some much needed rest.

I checked her webpage yesterday, and she is such a cutie!

Cheri A Contributor

Wow, that's so great that Vincent can help with the blood donation!! And sweet to offer to go fetch them too!

Tanya, is it pretty much a given that she will need a lot ofblood transfusions with her surgery? Sorry if I'm stupid about that. So many details to think of before the surgery...

VydorScope Proficient
Tanya, is it pretty much a given that she will need a lot ofblood transfusions with her surgery? Sorry if I'm stupid about that. So many details to think of before the surgery...

What she told me on the phone is that to complete the surgery they need the blood from 2 ppl, and they like to have a third just in case something happens.

Since they are doing heart surgery, its a given that there will be alot of blood loss.

TCA Contributor

From what I understand, when they start the surgery, her heart will be stopped and the heart lung machine will take over pumping her blood. The machine requires more blood because a lot of the blood will be outside her body and in the machine while surgery is happening. Last time her iron plummeted after surgery, so she had to have a LOT of transfusions. I now think this was because celiac was triggered by the surgery, but will never know for sure. The first few days after surgery are very tricky, so it's good to have some extra on hand in case she has to go back into surgery. My husband will probably give once we get up there to have one other extra donation for her in case another surgery happens, but we're not planning on that. If all of the blood is not used, then it will be given to someone else. Last time she had some issues come up and there wasn't enough blood and we had to scramble to get donors for her. There's such a shortage right now, we're scared to depend on the banks.

Vincent is awesome, in case any of you didn't already know that! :P His wife is such a sweetie too. It's funny that we've talked by e-mail and on the phone, yet never met face to face. God is good in sending the right friends at the right time! My husband is amazed at the support system I've found here. He kids me about my cyber friends. Now he sees just how special all of you are, not that he doubted before.

Thanks Danielle, and I just saw your message Cheri. I think she's a cutie too, but I'm a bit partial! ;)

BOTH kids are napping right now!!!!! I feel like I have an hour to myself and I barely know what to do with it....oh yeah, PACK!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Oh my gosh....this is incredible....what a blessing! Will be praying, Tanya.

VydorScope Proficient

OKay Im back! All went fine at the good old RedCross, and I got a new t-shirt too. Good thing cause never can have to many! :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient
OKay Im back! All went fine at the good old RedCross, and I got a new t-shirt too. Good thing cause never can have to many! :lol:

That was a very wonderful thing you did, Vincent. I know what you mean about the t-shirt! :D

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Vincent, you are amazing--a true mensch!

Tanya, my husband and I are both 0+. If things get tricky, let us know (I'll pm you my phone #)! We both predonated for Michael's surgery, and they used 2 units of packed cells for him (which was slightly more than they'd anticipated, but they didn't seem at all surprised by it).

TCA Contributor

THANKS VINCENT!!!! I've been meaning to call and check on you all night, but the phone has rang off the hook. I won't be off the phone with one relative before another beeps in to check on Megan. they should start reading this board!! :D The last one got off the phone after 10 and I was afraid it might be too late to call then. You really are a lifesaver. This took a tremendous stress off of us. The car is needing a new fuel pump and we're hoping it will be ready tomorrow. Glad you got a T-Shirt at least. I think we owe you a dinner out sometime, gluten-free of course. ;) If you're ever wanting to visit Huntsville to see the sights, just let us know. We have a cottage on our property that you're welcome to use as a free gluten-free hotel anytime! We have friends staying in it right now, but they will probably be out in a couple months. I hope you rest well tonight and giving didn't take too much out of you!

Alison, I got your PM. You are so amazing. I think we're doing great now. We have quite a few relatives who are the right blood type, but most live in S. Alabama and it would have been an 8 hr. drive to TN for them to give. They need 2 weeks to get blood out of state. On cousin gave in Chattanooga, TN, so that was able to make it in time. Vincent made up for the 2nd person needed. We have 2 other relatives that donated as backups, but it won't be there the day of surgery. She'll have it for later if needed, though. I really appreciate the offer, though. I'd do the same for you!

Guest Robbin

Tanya, honestly, I don't know where you get the energy to keep us posted, but thank God you do. I am praying like the rest of us here for you and Megan every night. Vincent, you are a such a caring, thoughtful person. What a precious thing to do. You all give me such hope for the human race. :)

VydorScope Proficient

Yea, 10pm would be to late to call UNLESS you have a real need. If your in need call any time. I wake up fairly slowly so you might have to repeat your self a few tiems though :lol:

TCA Contributor
Yea, 10pm would be to late to call UNLESS you have a real need. If your in need call any time. I wake up fairly slowly so you might have to repeat your self a few tiems though :lol:

I'll try not to call too late! Hopefully we've asked all we will have to of you already. It's really hard for me to ask for help, but I think God is trying to teach me that it is ok through all of this. I've always wanted to be the one that gave help and not asked for it. Again, Thanks!

Robbin, I know it's TMI, but the only reason I have any time to get on her is because I'm still pumping for Megan. Might as well do something contructive while I sit! :P

Megan had another bad night of gagging. I noticed yet another tooth about to come in. that's 4 in 2 weeks. I think it may be contribuiting by making her produce more saliva, which she gags on. Not sure, just a theory.

We're heading to see our foster son this morning for a few minutes. He wanted to see Meg before surgery once. I really think this new program has been helpful for him. I know he's wanting to come back here when he gets out, but I'm just not sure that I can handle it all right now. Pray we make good decisions here. It's a long story for those of you who aren't familiar with it. It's just a very difficult situation. We'll worry about that AFTER surgery, though. Nothing has to be decided before then, thankfully.

VydorScope Proficient
I'll try not to call too late! Hopefully we've asked all we will have to of you already. It's really hard for me to ask for help, but I think God is trying to teach me that it is ok through all of this. I've always wanted to be the one that gave help and not asked for it. Again, Thanks!

Just remeber we are here for you, you know now that we are serios, if you have a need, call and we will do what we can. Do not be afriad or ashamed to ask for help, we all need it as some point.

Cheri A Contributor

Glad you're doing well after donating, Vincent.

Tanya, I am sure that the teething isn't helping sweet little Meg either.. Thanks for explaining about the blood. I was just curious as to how much would probably be needed. So, you also foster?!?! You are superwoman!

Praying that you all have a good day today and that you get some special time in there with Cole AND a NAP later. I was thinking about him last night and how hard it must be for him during this time when you need to have most of your attention to him.

TCA Contributor

I guess I should have said we were fostering him, but he still looks at this as being a home for him. He's in a theraputic program now. He ran away when Megan was in the hospital last year. I wasn't because of her, though. He was mad because he had gotten grounded and wanted to go to a skating party. He decided to hitch hike, then was scared to come home after he thought about what he'd done. It took us 3 days to find him. He had a history of running away before coming to our home and this was his last chance in foster care before going to a locked facility. It was good to see him today. Brought back a lot of emotions that aren't easy.

Anyway, on a positive note, Megan is having a really good day. She's playing peek-a-boo and laughing more. It's so good to see.

Thanks again for the offer Vincent. I'm sure we'll be talking.

I also heard from her surgeon's office today and surgery will be at 7:45 am instead of 12:30 pm. I hope the baby scheduled before her is ok.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Let's hope the baby originally scheduled before her is just fine and just doesn't need surgery any more.

The earlier time should be much better for Megan, especially if she's NPO.

Michael's surgery was on a Tuesday, too! Tuesday must be peds cardio day all over the country, I guess. I think we got to the hospital at 5:30 or 6 am, something like that. My heart will be with you all day!

TCA Contributor
Let's hope the baby originally scheduled before her is just fine and just doesn't need surgery any more.

The earlier time should be much better for Megan, especially if she's NPO.

Michael's surgery was on a Tuesday, too! Tuesday must be peds cardio day all over the country, I guess. I think we got to the hospital at 5:30 or 6 am, something like that. My heart will be with you all day!

Thanks. It means so much to know that you really do understand how scary this all is. I think having it early will be better on us since we won't have all day to get worked up about it. I can't remember the day of the week Megan had her last surgery, but I know it was 4/29.

We're looking forward to having a nice weekend at home where we don't worry about anything around the house that we really need to do. I told someone else that I don't think I'll ever look back on this week and wish I had done more housework!

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks. It means so much to know that you really do understand how scary this all is. I think having it early will be better on us since we won't have all day to get worked up about it. I can't remember the day of the week Megan had her last surgery, but I know it was 4/29.

We're looking forward to having a nice weekend at home where we don't worry about anything around the house that we really need to do. I told someone else that I don't think I'll ever look back on this week and wish I had done more housework!

I'd offer to help clean, but truth be told... I clean about as good as a toddler so I do not think you really want my help... esply if you have anything breakable.. to give you an idea... we USED to have a COUPLE nice sets of glasses... now we ahve some tupperware&BK ones. :lol:

TCA Contributor

Thanks for the offer Vincent, but a cleans house is the LEAST of my worries right now!

We've had a nice relaxing day and meg seems to feel pretty good today. Only a couple sweating spells. She's loving all the attnetion since one of us holds her most of the time. I guess it's ok to spoil her a little, though, isn't it?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI Tanya

Yep, I'd say hold and hug and kiss that little one all you want...It's the best medicine you can give her.

hugs and glad you all had a good day

judy

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks for the offer Vincent, but a cleans house is the LEAST of my worries right now!

We've had a nice relaxing day and meg seems to feel pretty good today. Only a couple sweating spells. She's loving all the attnetion since one of us holds her most of the time. I guess it's ok to spoil her a little, though, isn't it?

Yes it is. :D

Camille'sBigSister Newbie

Almighty God, our Father,

I add my prayer to the pleas of many others for the healing of your precious child, Megan.

In the Name of Jesus, our Messiah and Rabbi,

Lord, in Your Mercy, hear our prayer.

Cissie

Archived