This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Megan's Gagging Isn't Any Better

TCA

Nic Collaborator

Hi, it haven't replied much but I have been checking on you everyday as well :) . I am glad to hear she is doing a little better. Again, this may be completely irrelavent but when my son was an infant and was put on Nutramigen, a friend of mine from work had a friend that was going through the same thing with their infant daughter. Now that child was also put on Nutramigen but it did not work for her. As it turned out after a lot of testing she was diagnosed with a rare illness that caused her body to treat all food as a toxin setting off an autoimmune response. Just a thought.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TCA Contributor

Nic, I've never heard of anything like this. Do you know the name of the disease or how to test for it? It definitely sounds like a possibility with her. What did they do for the child?

I installed a water filter under our sink, plus the refrigerator has one, so that should be taking care of the chlorine, then. I had no idea about fluoride being harmful. The dentist told me to use tap water as much as possible with both of them to help prevent cavities since their teeth are soooo bad. I never thought it could be harmful. They don't take any fluoride supplements or anything, though. Thanks for the info eKatherine

Meg had a pretty good night last night and didn't choke until around 4 am. that's a record lately. She seems to feel good this morning too. That kinda makes it seem like milk and eggs have nothing to do with it? I'm looking forward to getting some answers tomorrow, though.

Please pray for the people around the launch today. The foam things scares me. The crew are a great group of people. I used to work with Stephanie Wilson a lot and she is an amazing person. My husband knows the others and says they are all so nice. If it does go today, I hope it is all smooth sailing.

Hope your fellas have a great time Cheri!!!

Glad you're getting some much needed rest Judy!!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

:unsure: Hi Cheri and Tanya

DITO-- Cheri--on this--

Wow Tanya ~ very interesting! I am glad that your dh will have Wed off! I just talked to my boys and they are on their way to get in. I pray it does go off today! If not, though, they have had a great time at the Cape and learned a lot. Good father-son bonding time :D I hope that you and the kids have a great day today and that Meg is feeling well today and gives you lots of smiles!

TANYA-HOPE TODAY IS A FUN HEALTHLY DAY FOR YOUR FAMILY

CHERI--I THINK ATMETTA IS DOING BETTER BY RESTING..DON'T THINK SHE'S POSTING ON HER THREAD --OR AM I --JUST FOCUSING ALL OUR PRAYERS AND HUGS TO TANYA AND KAREN AND BEV'S HUBBY. ANYONE HEAR HOW TO DR APT WENT LAST NITE.???? :huh:

I WAS UP LATE AND SEEMS FORUM WAS DOWN.

I'M DOING BETTER STILL ALOT OF LEG SWELLING BUT GUESS THE LYPHODEMIA (STILL HAVEN'T LOOKED IT UP DON'T KNOW TO KNOW ANYMORE INFO ON THING MEDICAL...WILL BE WITH ME FOR LIFE DR SAYS....SO I'M GOING TO 'ADJUST TO IT AND STOCKINGS WHEN I GET THEM.'

WOW THIS ACE WRAP IS A CONTORTIONIST'S DREAM...??? :blink::huh::blink::o:blink: TAKES ME AT LEAST A 1/2 TO WRAP AND THEN FALLS OFF. UCK BUT HEY STILL PLUGGING AWAY...

Judy and Armetta ~ I don't know what is going on with you all, but I hope that you also have a good, healthy day!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

GREAT NEWS RE MEGS

Meg had a pretty good night last night and didn't choke until around 4 am. that's a record lately. She seems to feel good this morning too. That kinda makes it seem like milk and eggs have nothing to do with it? I'm looking forward to getting some answers tomorrow, though. WE'LL ALL BE THERE IN SPIRIT SURROUNDING YOUR WITH PRAYERS AND LOVE.

Please pray for the people around the launch today. The foam things scares me. ME TOO!!!!

The crew are a great group of people. I used to work with Stephanie Wilson a lot and she is an amazing person. My husband knows the others and says they are all so nice. If it does go today, I hope it is all smooth sailing. DITO.DITO DITO

Hope your fellas have a great time Cheri!!!

Glad you're getting some much needed rest Judy!! YEP TRYING ANYWAY.

LOVE

JUDY

AndreaB Contributor

Tanya,

Call your water department if you are on city water to send a water report. Go to www.pureaircleanwater.com. The person who sells water filters is Jim McMahon. He is great and will only sell you what you need. We got a three stage Kitchen Defender from him. You can only run cold water through, which is typical of filters. The water is great! The cost is very reasonable. He also sells a whold house system if you own your own house. The prices on all his stuff are very reasonable. He's very helpful and will ask questions to determine what you need. It can't offer more praise for him. Wonderful experience, wonderful product. His filters do remove fluoride and yes, fluoride is not as good as we were lead to believe.

We will be anxiously watching the news about the shuttle. We are a little concerned about that foam too. Glad to hear that Megan is feeling better today. Keep us posted the next few days as you can.

Hugs and prayers to all of you. :P

VydorScope Proficient

Personal, I woul NOT want the floride romeved from my water. I do not want my son to suffer like I do now (I grew up with out floridated water, well over 20 fillings and need more still). But thats just me...

AndreaB Contributor

Fluoride is a very controversial subject. We grew up with non fluoridated water. I have 10 cavities, my brother none. My husband was told by our hygenist that it depends on whether you have an acidic or alkaline mouth/body. My husband is also cavitiy free with non fluoridated water. Check out the following websites for more info about fluoride. You could also do a search on "fluoride atomic bomb".

Open Original Shared Link.

Open Original Shared Link

Tanya,

We are getting close to when I read the launch was going to happen. I hope everything goes ok. if they are still going through with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

I'm SO excited... have NASA tv on and watching the clock on-line. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that the shuttle goes off and has a safe lift-off, journey and landing :D

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow for Megan's scopes.

I will be thinking of you :):)

shai76 Explorer

City water no longer has flouride in it ANYWHERE. Don't take my word for it, call your local water company. It's actually an allergen and too many people can get sick from it. If you want your child to take flouride talk to your doctor about a prescription for a suppliment, or buy flouride water. Though I wouldn't give a kid too much flouride or their teeth will discolor.

My son doesn't do flouride. I don't know if that is bad or good. I guess I'm still thinking about it. :unsure:

BTW, good luck tomorrow! My son has his scope tomorrow too, very very early. :blink:

AndreaB Contributor
City water no longer has flouride in it ANYWHERE. Don't take my word for it, call your local water company. It's actually an allergen and too many people can get sick from it. If you want your child to take flouride talk to your doctor about a prescription for a suppliment, or buy flouride water. Though I wouldn't give a kid too much flouride or their teeth will discolor.

My son doesn't do flouride. I don't know if that is bad or good. I guess I'm still thinking about it. :unsure:

BTW, good luck tomorrow! My son has his scope tomorrow too, very very early. :blink:

Shai,

That's not accurate about city water. It is in most cities and is still being fought in my hometown. Where we live now the level of fluoride is 2.5 (I forget the measurement). They like it to be under 4 but the person I bought my filter from said that 1.5 is where they usually like it to be so we were way above that. Even if cities don't add it it is in the groundwater as a compound with fluoride is used on fields.

Keep us posted about your son as well.

Just tried to check news headlines and there is nothing showing up yet for the shuttle. I will wait for updates here...Cheri.

shai76 Explorer

Some citys still do I guess. If anyone is concerned about it they should first contact the city water people to see if they put flouride in the water. I know ours doesn't. My doctor said something about giving my son flouride, but I'm still hesitant on doing that. With all the problems he has already with allergies and reflux I don't want to push it.

AndreaB Contributor

Shai,

You are one of the lucky ones. I would rather supplement if I choose than have it forced on me in the water supply. Fluorine is necessary and available is some foods. Fluoride is on the crops as well so we can assume that we get some when we eat fresh fruits and veggies.

shai76 Explorer
Shai,

You are one of the lucky ones. I would rather supplement if I choose than have it forced on me in the water supply. Fluorine is necessary and available is some foods. Fluoride is on the crops as well so we can assume that we get some when we eat fresh fruits and veggies.

I worry that he will end up with a bunch of cavities since I do not give him suppliments. I tried but the high iron content in the vitamin caused his reflux to worsen

That makes me wonder if that could be part of Megans problem? I've been thinking a lot about what could make her feel even better.

AndreaB Contributor

That was a good thought Shai. Everyone responds to different things and at different amounts. MSG is also sprayed on both organic and non organic crops which could also pose a problem. Those who are extremely sensitive like Rachel--24 can't eat much because of that. Megan doesn't sound like she has an allergic reaction to that but it could be a whole bunch of little things that are making a big discomfort for her.

Tanya,

Glad the launch went well. One less thing for you to worry about for now. Will be looking for updates as you can post them.

TCA Contributor

Woo Hoo!! The launch went well!!! Means that hubby still has a job! That's a very good thing. :D I was really concerned for the crew's safety, but thankfully all went well. Hopefully the rest of the mission will too. Cheri - hope your son and husband enjoyed it!!

So, I guess there's a lot of debate of fluorine???? Can't call the water company today, obviously, but I will. I'm pretty sure they put fluorine in, though. I never knew it could be bad. That's the next trial, I guess. I made meg's formula with tap water yesterday, but it's about out, so I'll go to bottled water next and see if it's any different. What about the water in bottled drinks? Is it fluorinated, chlorinated tap water, or what? I don't drink cokes and stuff usually, just wondering what all is safe.

Shai76 - you're in my prayers too. I hope all goes well tomorrow. I guess we'll get it all over with the same day! Keep us posted! Hugs!

Cheri A Contributor

T ~ my guys were elated!! DH just really, really wanted our son to experience that before the shuttle program is discontinued. He is so crazy about astronauts, space and such. Glad that your hubby still has a job! :D

Very interesting about all the flouride/ine talk... I have no idea about any of that either. Going to stick my head in the sand too.

How is Megan doing today? Will be praying especially hard for you all tommorrow. And also for Shai's family too!

shai76 Explorer

Tanya, I think if you bought distilled water it would not have anything extra in it.

Thanks for your well wishes with Griffin's (my sons) scope. I hope all goes well for you all tomorrow too. Hopefully you will find the answers. There is nothing worse then being in limbo. :/

BTW, the launch was cool. I was so happy to see it went perfectly.

Nic Collaborator

Hi, I just got off the phone with the friend who told me about the girl whose body rejected food. She cannot remember the name of the illness (this happened 5 years ago) but she is going to find out and call me back within the next few days. I will pass it on to you as soon as I hear. She did say though, that the only thing she was able to hold down for a while after her treatment was some kind of hot cereal, she isn't sure what kind though. Now, at 5, the child still has some trouble with foods but can tolerate things like chicken and apples. Like I said, this may very well have nothing to do with Megan's situation but you never know.

Nicole

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

sHARI-TANYA..PRAYERS FOR BOTH TOMORROW. TANYA..STILL SAY, WOULDN'T IT BE AMAZING IF THERE WAS A BIG DIFFERENCE USING 'DISTILED WATER???? WOW

WAS WATCHING THE LAUNCH..HUBBY AND I CHEERED..GET YOUR SO RELEIVED.

I'M LOOKING AT THIS AS A 'GOOD OMEN' FOR YOU GUYS TOMORROW.

OH HECK, WE'LL GRAB AT ANY' GOOD NEWS STRAWS' WE CAN, RIGHT LADIES.

HUGS AND LOVE

JUDY

eKatherine Rookie

There may be some places where they have discontinued fluoridation, but none of them are around where I live.

No one should drink more than 1 liter of fluoridated water a day. This is the intended dosage. Keep in mind that many processed beverages are made with fluoridated water, so you could easily be getting a double dose.

There is no such thing as a "fluoride deficiendy" which will cause massive cavities. Any child who does get large numbers of cavities has an enamel defect that megadoses of fluoride could not have prevented. Fluoride is hardly a protection against the enamel erosion of gerd.

Chlorine filters don't remove fluoride. I drink bottled water.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Just wondering--total shot in the dark here, as I don't know the chemistry involved, but--could fluoridated water somehow INCREASE gerd?

Cheri A Contributor

How do you know that the bottled water is better than normal tap water? I saw a 20/20 or such show that tested a bunch of the well known waters, store brand waters etc and they really weren't any better for you than tap waters...

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Tanya, hope you and Megan have another good night, a safe drive tomorrow, and that everything goes smoothly with excellent results! Here's praying for you, kid....with all the fireworks tonight, there are lots of shooting stars to wish on! :)

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Alison

AndreaB Contributor
How do you know that the bottled water is better than normal tap water? I saw a 20/20 or such show that tested a bunch of the well known waters, store brand waters etc and they really weren't any better for you than tap waters...

Bottled water can be as bad or worse than tap water and can also be better, depending on the brand. I forget what the good brands were. Only about 4 of them. I saw a cooking show on 3ABN a few years back that had Barbara Kerr on and she was using a tester to test bottled water.

Archived