This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gamble Mill Tavern, Bellefonte, Pa

NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I just have to rave about the quality of Gamble Mill Tavern in Bellefonte, PA (right near Penn State in State College). They have the most wonderful food, and it's one of the few places I've been that I've absolutely never gotten sick. The first time I went, my boyfriend made the reservations long in advance and asked about gluten free options, and they asked him to call back on the day of the reservation. That day I called the restaurant and they were amazingly knowledgeable about the problems with soy sauce, cross contamination, etc. When we showed up at the restaurant, the hostess seated us and pointed out on the menu (without my mentioning it) the pencil marks where they had indicated what I could eat and what types of substitutions could be made. When the waitress came to the table, she offered my boyfriend bread and carried my breadplate away without even asking me--she knew I couldn't eat it and didn't make me feel awkward about it at all. I got this delicious lamb dish and a salad with a gluten free white balsamic dressing. After dinner, the waitress brought out handmade confections (as is the tradition there), and before bringing them out, she checked if they were gluten free, which, in fact, they were.

I have been back to Gamble Mill on numerous occasions, and each one has been a pleasure. I went there last week and called ahead, as I always do. This time the waiter actually brought out a typed up, laminated list of all the gluten free options as well as lactose free, mushroom free, nut free, etc. I was truly impressed. The waiter told me that the wife of the owner (or it might have been chef) is gluten intolerant as well, so this helps to account for their uncommonly attentive food preparation. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone living in or visiting the central PA area!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

BHitz
    Newest Member
    BHitz
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Russ H
      Those serum tests are for total immunoglobulins in each class (IgA and IgM) and are not specific to coeliac disease. You need the test results for antibodies to tTG2, which is a very sensitive test for coeliac disease. I would follow your doctor's advice.
    • glucel
      knitty, I am scheduled for physical exam near eom. Would like to have b 12 etc tested. Should I stop taking supplements so as not to get false readings? Is stopping supplements for 3 weeks or so causing harm?
    • MariaC
      I was diagnosed with anemia 4 months ago (Iron 3, hemoglobin 88) and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to look for internal bleeding. Nothing was found in the colonoscopy and the endoscopy showed mild duodenitis. The doctor took some samples of my small intestine to check for celiac disease. The tesults came back and the diagnosis was duodenal mucosa and partial villous atrophy which could indicate celiac disease among other possible diagnosis. A couple of weeks ago I had bloods taken for a celiac serology and so far just the first part of the results have come back and shows elevated IgA and IgM. IgA - 4.10 (ref. range 0.8-4.0 g/L) IgM - 2.38 (ref. range 0.5-2.0 g/L) My gp has recomended I start a gluten free diet as she believes I am celiac based on those results and that would explain my anemia. The second part of the test should arrive next week. Should I start a gluten free diet straight away? Or should I wait for the second part of the results?  I don’t know much about celiac disease, my journey has just started, but would the IgA result being 0.1 above threshold really be positive for celiac disease?
    • Bltjr21
      I do. That’s actually what tipped my GI dr off to check for celiac. I was first, diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis through my colonoscopy. I immediately started a two month course of budesonide, and then had to labs done for celiac. When that came back positive, we did the endoscopy to confirm things.
    • glucel
      Yes I forgot it is the green leafy. I just don't take drugs well. It wasn't just the inr but was also getting nose bleeds. Right now I have to figure out what I am going to do with the mri as discussed with rmj on this page and see how my weight goes. Need to get some info together before my next cardio visit so I can deal with a doc who claims celiac and not aspirin is the problem.