This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Vs Celiac Sprue?

catfish

catfish Apprentice

My GI wants me to schedule a biopsy where they use a scope to view my my small intestines and collect the biopsy with the scope. The nurse said something about gliadin levels but when I talked to my doc he mentioned antibody levels, and the nurse said he wants to "rule out" Celiac Sprue. I know they want to look for flattened villi in any case, so is there much difference between Celiac and Celiac Sprue in this instance, and would the diagnosis or treatment be very different for these? I have already started a gluten-free diet without my doctor telling me to just to see if I noticed improvement, which I think I have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim Explorer

It's much better NOT to start a gluten-free diet before the biopsy is completed. It's important for accurate diagnosis that you be ingesting gluten.

Celiac and celiac sprue are the same thing. Non-tropical celiac sprue is more serious, but also treated with a gluten-free diet. Most people say celiac or celiac disease, but celiac sprue is also the same thing.

Good luck. Kim.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Celiac Disease and Celiac Sprue referred to the same thing, but just different names....like celiac disease can be referred to as Gluten Intolerance.

Kim is right...if you're getting a biopsy, continue to eat gluten. Otherwise, your test results may be messed up (if you're borderline Celiac, it could change the test and make it look as if you don't have it...or make it more indefinite).....keep eating gluten unless you decide not to run any more tests, and just assume that it's celiac disease......

-celiac3270

Archived