This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fullness

guitarplayer4God

guitarplayer4God Explorer

Does anyone else feel full after hardly eating anything? I get this way after eating. I feel full and I just can't eat anything else. I've been trying to eat more because the doctors said I have to otherwise I might end up in the hospital but I just can't cause I get to full and after I eat I feel bloated and sometimes feel like throwing up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

From what I think I remember, you are relatively newly diagnosed. Before I was diagnosed, I was not absorbing (like everyone), resulting in my ability to eat and eat and eat and eat. I didn't even like going out for dinner or to people's houses for food because I felt foolish how much I packed in and never got full.

Since I have been gluten free and absorption has began, I feel full. It was awkward at first because you make the same size meal, then can only eat some of it!

Don't stuff yourself. I suggest eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of big meals. It'll be good for your metabolism without giving yourself a stomachache.

marciab Enthusiast

I've done this my whole life, but only for a few days at time. I force myself to eat when I am like this. Lighter foods, like potatoes, apple sauce, cream of rice, and plain fruits and veggies are easier to digest when I am like this. Also, eating very small amounts roughly every 30 - 60 minutes helps too.

Spoonfuls of any nut butter are a good source of fat and protein if you can have them.

Sorry, I can't explain what is going on. I hope this helps ... Marcia

jennyj Collaborator

I just had a thread about the same thing, looking for things to eat so I would eat something. There were some good ideas. I just don't get hungry but I know I have to eat so I don't keep losing weight and start feeling more active.

Guest cassidy

I have always eaten a ton of small meals. I eat a snack every two-three hours. If you did this you wouldn't have to try to stuff yourself and you still may be able to eat more.

Also, have you tried digestive enzymes? They help you digest your food. My stomach used to hurt in the beginning when I would eat anything and they really helped.

I also like peppermint capsules. If my stomach feels at all funny, they really help.

Also, once I got better (gluten-free for 5 months) I no longer had any bloating, instant fullness or any other issues. If you are new to all this, you still are healing.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Gastroparesis is a disorder in which the stomach takes too long to empty its contents. I'll get this way often. It has two causes that I know of. One is a complication of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes can damage the vaus nerve if blood glucose levels remain high over a long period of time. It causes a chemical change in nerves and damages the blood vessels that carry oxygen and nutrients to the nerves.

The other is gastrities which is what I get. An inflammation of the stomach lining. Causes can be alcohol, spicey foods, eating too much at once, smoking, or prolong use of anti-inflammatory drugs like NSAIDS. Or bacteria like E-coli, salmonella h-pylori (sp?) I also read certain dieases such as pernicious anemia, or auto immune disorders can cause it too.

Spicey foods, wine and tomatoes will do it for me. But I know I get this way at least once a month and lasts for 3 to 5 days. I usually take acid blockers like prilosec for about a week. I can't always pinpoint the cause but isn't anemia and auto immune disorders text book for celiacs? Maybe you can explain this to your doctor.

Good luck

Gail

indyceliac Newbie

When I had an ulcer..I would get that extremely full feeling after just eating a few bites.

Nexium helped.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

After going gluten-free, I went from having a ravenous constant appetite to no appetite at all. I try to make things that have most of the food groups, so give more nutrition per bite, ya know?

One of my standbys is Paula Deen's Tuna Burgers from Food Network. They've got celery and onion in them. I just call that good enough for a veggie. I just put some bread from Whole Food's Gluten-Free Bakehouse sandwich bread in the food processor to make gluten-free breadcrumbs.

Open Original Shared Link

I use the same idea for other things. Make some meatloaf and put some finely chopped spinach in it.

The tuna burgers and sliced meatloaf are also easy to make in big batches and freeze so you can grab something when you have to eat.

Even if just the thought of food makes me feel nauseous and I can only eat like half a tuna burger, I know I've got some reasonably good quality food in my system. Better than eating a handful of tortilla chips or something.

I'm actually getting a little worried/frustrated with my lack of appetite. I don't feel hungry anymore, so the only way I remember to eat is when I've gotten a headache or started snapping at my kids. Then I think, hmm... have I even eaten today. Usually the answer is no.

So I did a web search and found many references that ginger stimulates the appetite. So I'm going to get some ginger tea. Maybe that would be a good breakfast with some gluten-free toast.

Hope that helps.

Archived