This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Gf Pasta?

catfish

catfish Apprentice

I was looking for people's feedback on which gluten-free pasta is the best/most like regular pasta. I tried the corn type, it was too mushy and tasted funny, stuck to my teeth. The rice pasta is too rubbery but it's better than the corn. I miss pasta more than anything else, any ideas of what I should try? I saw some Quinoa pasta but wasn't sure if that was okay for a gluten-free diet.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I like Tinkyada's rice pasta - if you don't overcook it (and it needs less time than semolina pasta) it has a similar texture to regular pasta. But the quinoa pasta is also quite tasty, and safe for gluten-free diets (assuming it the one from Ancient Harvest).

Guest jhmom

Just a suggestion on the corn pasta, make sure you don't overcook it, I usually cook mine for 7 minutes and it turns out great. :D I like it much better than Rice pasta which I overcooked one time and it was nasty and I have not tired it again, ;) lol!

celiac3270 Collaborator

DeBoles is good, but a little more expensive than Tinkyada, which tastes a little better anyway....so my #1 recommendation would be Tinkyada (though you can't go wrong with either of them). ^_^

-celiac3270

plantime Contributor

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta is my favorite. By the time I put cheddar cheese and/or Ragu spaghetti sauce on it, I don't even notice a taste/texture difference. Just don't overcook it!

Guest Florida Jean

And, let me add my two cents worth, too~~

I, too, like Tinkyada brand pasta; but has anyone tried

Idaho [brand] Pastato Potato pasta?

I think this is pretty tasty, also. It is a product of

Canada and I can not always find it here in the

States. Look around and if you find it, give it a try.

You won't be sorry, I'm sure.

We always have to be on the lookout for newer and

better products. Makes life interesting [sometimes.] ;)

And, why are my two favorite foods pasta and bread????

Jean

kalo Rookie

I've treid Lundberg brown rice spaghetti and loved it. DH didn't even know I had used something different.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dana-g Newbie

A second vote for Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta! My daughter loves it for mac'n'cheese. I boil it for five minutes, max, though, overcooking makes it yukky.

celiac3270 Collaborator
I boil it for five minutes, max, though, overcooking makes it yukky

That's funny....5 minutes max? I've found that I have to boil gluten-free pastas for double the time I boiled non-gluten-free pastas....and I thought that maybe all gluten-free pastas needed more boiling time -- I guess I was wrong.... :) ...interesting to hear. With other gluten-free pastas I've tried, they'd still be rock-hard after 5 minutes

-celiac3270

tarnalberry Community Regular

celiac3270 - most of the rice pasta does seem to take longer than the average semolina pasta, but the quinoa pasta is definitely a fast cooking one - I think it's the corn, because the other corn pasta I had cooked very quickly as well.

dana-g Newbie

Yes, celiac3270, if you try it, and I highly recommend that you do, watch it closely--it disintegrates really fast! We think it tastes as close to mainstream pasta as anything can.

Guest Libbyk

another vote for the tinkyada rice pasta! they also have lots of different shapes and varieties. I hated the lundberg pasta, butI suppose that there is lots of room for different tastes here.

Lib

catfish Apprentice

I think it boils down (sorry no pun intended) to what people like about pasta! The Tinkyada is bit too toothsome or rubbery for me. If I overcook it then it tastes a lot like overcooked regular pasta, but I hate that. The corn pasta I don't like either- if it's undercooked it sticks to your teeth, if it's overcooked it's mushy, and if it's cooked just right it both sticks to your teeth AND is mushy. And no matter how long you cook it, it tastes like hominy grits. I haven't tried the potato pasta yet, that sounds intriguing. ;)

dana-g Newbie

Catfish, you make me laugh!

Archived