This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bonne Bell Lip Smackers

TCA

TCA Contributor

We're trying to work on feeding therapies for my daughter. Lip smackers were suggested. Anyone know if these are gluten-free? I checked the web and tried customer service with no luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

oh gosh, I don't know... I do know that Chap Stick has some flavors in the flava craze line that are gluten-free...I just can't remember which ones or if it's all of them.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Here is the information in their FAQ section on their website:

What are Lip Smackers made of?

Castor oil - a natural oil obtained from the seeds of Ricinus Communis. This ingredient gives emolliency and gloss to the lips.

Beeswax - a natural purified wax obtained from the honeycomb of the bee, Apis Mellifera. This ingredient gives structure and rigidity to Lip Smackers.

Cetyl Acetate - This is an ester of cetyl alcohol and acetic acid. This ingredient gives emollience and gloss to the lips. It is also a conditioner of dry, chapped lips.

Candelilla Wax - a natural wax obtained from various plant species of Euphoriaceae.

Flavor/Fragrance - These are comprised of both natural and artificial ingredients, all of which are GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) for use in cosmetic and food products. These ingredients give Lip Smackers their characteristic flavor and aroma.

Polybutene - A polymer which is made up of a mixture of butenes. This ingredient adds gloss and wearability to the product.

Sesame Oil - A natural oil obtained from the seeds of Sesamim Indicum. This ingredient adds gloss and emolliency.

Ozokerite - A wax derived from mineral or petroleum sources. This ingredient adds rigidity and structure to the product.

Carnauba - A natural wax obtained from the leaves and leaf buds of the Brazilian Wax Palm, Coperinicia Cerefera. This ingredient adds rigidity and structure.

Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol - The acetyl ester of lanolin alcohol. This is derived from lanolin, a by-product of the wool industry. This is a very good conditioner for dry,

chapped lips.

Mineral Oil - A refined liquid obtained from petroleum. This ingredient adds emolliency to the lips.

Hydrogenated Soy Glycerides - This is the end product of a reaction using soybean oil. This ingredient adds structure and rigidity to the product. Also, it provides conditioning for dry, chapped lips.

Thanks to modern science, any flavor (synthetic interpretations of natural flavor) can be duplicated, such as Mango, Bubble Gum and Guava. These flavoring ingredients are also used widely in processed and prepackaged foods and beverages. In developing the individual flavors, our research staff works with independent essential oil manufacturers to achieve the best-intended flavor. The finished flavor submission is often composed of two dozen or more ingredients and may take several months of refinements before the final approval by labs. Many of our combination flavors are achieved by creative blending in our labs. Lip Smackers are also sensitivity tested by outside clinical laboratories to make sure our products are of the highest quality. Each new Lip Smacker is also tested to ensure complete safety to the consumer.

The raw materials which make up Lip Smackers are melted together and the warm liquid is poured into containers. The flavor is added at the last minute to ensure the freshest taste and aroma. The stick is then sent through a cooling tunnel which forms the Lip Smacker into a solid shape.

-Jessica

TCA Contributor

Thanks Jessica. I found that, but was worried about the flavorings part since it didn't specify. I appreciate the effort, though!! :)

• 1 year later...
Deedle Newbie
Thanks Jessica. I found that, but was worried about the flavorings part since it didn't specify. I appreciate the effort, though!! :)

FYI: I know this is later than probably expected, but Bonnie bell Lip Smackers are NOT gluten free. I used to use them constantly before I was diagnosed, and when I contacted the company they informed me that their products could not be considered gluten free. Sorry!! Hope this helps ya out a little bit. Better late than never I guess. Good luck. ;)

Archived