This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swanson Vitamins?

mesmerize

mesmerize Apprentice

Has anyone here had any luck finding out if Swanson vitamins are gluten free? I order ALL my vitamins from them, and I wrote to them a couple months ago (right after my diagnosis) asking about gluten... their response was basically that they choose not to specify whether or not their products have gluten, because if they started identifying gluten, they'd have to also identify ALL other allergies like dairy, soy, etc. That seemed like a really dumb answer to me, but anyway...

I kept taking the vitamins, but right now I'm trying to figure out my mystery symptoms that seem to possibly be associated with my vitamins. (See my other thread... Open Original Shared Link )

So before I go any further, I'm just trying to make SURE that there is no gluten contamination involved here... Does anyone know?

~Sara~

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Super Bellybutton Rookie

I asked the same question...GNC lists no gluten, no corn, no soy, no dairy, etc. GNC's prices are MUCH higher, but it's worth it if Swanson isn't telling the truth...especially since their prices are very low (and wheat is very inexpensive).

Lymetoo Contributor

Swanson's nattokinase gave me TERRIBLE gas and bloating. So I don't know if it's the gluten that MAY be in their products, or the natto itself. I haven't bought anything else from them.

Go to www.vitacost.com for GREAT good QUALITY products at 40-60% off regular prices!

Also www.currentcodes.com gives you discount codes for vita and for other companies online!

Super Bellybutton Rookie

I will start ordering from vitacost.com now.

Honestly, my problems didn't really start until I started consuming Swanson Vitamins. I can't say for sure they are the culprit for my condition, but I first obught vitamins off Vitacost and had no problems and I was pretty satisfied.

But Swanson's prices are practically unbeatable. I mean 250g of Vitamin C for $5? That's insane. But I'm not so sure if it's really effective. Plus do to the fact that the people didn't really seem upfront about allergens in their products leads me to go somewhere else...even if it costs more. I mean, how much more would it cost to print "Free of dairy, eggs, soy, gluten, yeast, corn, sugar, salt, etc." if it really is gluten free? I mean Utz does it and so do NSI products. So I'll buy it from them from now on since it's safer.

• 1 year later...
angellove839 Rookie

I just bought several Swanson vitamins including the under the tongue B-12 vitamin and I got diarrhea just from that vitamin (I only took that one vitamin, no others). I emailed them to find out if they had gluten in their products and they told me the same lame answer everyone else got. I am wondering where their plant cellulose comes from or the maltodextrin because it is in the B-12 as well as the Nattokinase that the other lady was taking. I feel kind of jipped because I spent $50 worth of vitamins and they wont tell me where their ingredients are coming from. I guess its time to spend more money on vitamins that are actually declared gluten free.

purple Community Regular

Country Life Supplements are gluten free (free of other things too) and you can order them thru Swansons and get them cheaper than thru a health food store. www.countrylifevitamins.com I think is the web, I posted it somewhere else.

• 5 years later...
GottaSki Mentor

This is an old thread, but just checked Swanson Vitamin's gluten policy so I thought I would update this thread as they still do not assure their supplements are gluten free although they do sell other brands that are gluten free --- also thought it a bit funny that they referred me back to celiac.com to check safe ingredients :)

Date: Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Subject: RE: Gluten Free Supplements?

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Swanson Health Products!

We apologize for any confusion.  Please note that although the vast majority of our products are free of gluten, we hope that you will understand why we cannot include the words ''gluten-free'' on each product label, or list this in the item detail copy for each supplement in our catalog. 

Gluten-free products are a specialty market, and we receive a multitude of similar requests from many special interest groups who request that our products be labeled as vegan, Kosher, organic, lactose-free, blood-free, etc.

Therefore, we direct our gluten-free customers to the ''safe and forbidden'' list on the www.celiac.com website so they can compare the ingredients from the supplement facts box (found on the product label or on the item detail page for each supplement featured on our website) with their list of safe and forbidden ingredients. 

We do not guarantee our Swanson products to be 100% free of gluten or other ingredients because this means they would need to be certified to not have been encapsulated in machines that may have handled gluten products.  Since they are not certified gluten-free, we cannot say with 100% certainty that there was no contact with any machinery during processing that had contact with gluten.  There should not have been since all machines are cleaned between each batch.  We encourage you to still watch for any small sign of reaction to any product that is not certified.

You may be interested to know that you can shop specifically for gluten free items on our website now.  Simply click on the "Shop Gluten-Free Products" link located under the "Browse" heading on our homepage.  If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Our quality, value and customer service have made Swanson Health Products a trusted source of nutritional supplements since 1969.  To help us build this privileged relationship with you, we welcome your comments and suggestions, as it is our pleasure to serve you at any time.

Have A Great Day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived