This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sore Gums And Food Intolerances

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

I'm wondering if I'm the only mutant out there who has experienced this. :P I figured out that I am completely soy and legume intolerant. So, I cut them out. I had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but even the muscle pain from that is gone except when I get "legumed" (my gosh- we get glutened, soyed, dairied and now legumed).

I was having real problems with my TMJ and grinding my teeth so I was wearing my mouth gurad. Mouth got irritated so I stopped (seem to have stopped grinding my teeth since I cut out legumes too?). I thought it was sensitive teeth so I switched toothpastes- then I realized that it was actually my gums that hurt. :blink:

So, now that I've cut out soy and other legumes, my gums are not sore every day. But I think I got accidentally "soyed" on Friday and my gums were so sore. Does this happen to anyone else? I figured it was worth asking! Thanks, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie
I'm wondering if I'm the only mutant out there who has experienced this. :P I figured out that I am completely soy and legume intolerant. So, I cut them out. I had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but even the muscle pain from that is gone except when I get "legumed" (my gosh- we get glutened, soyed, dairied and now legumed).

I was having real problems with my TMJ and grinding my teeth so I was wearing my mouth gurad. Mouth got irritated so I stopped (seem to have stopped grinding my teeth since I cut out legumes too?). I thought it was sensitive teeth so I switched toothpastes- then I realized that it was actually my gums that hurt. :blink:

So, now that I've cut out soy and other legumes, my gums are not sore every day. But I think I got accidentally "soyed" on Friday and my gums were so sore. Does this happen to anyone else? I figured it was worth asking! Thanks, Beverly

Only gluten makes my gums hurt. I also cannot consume milk, but doing so has a different set of symptoms.

gdobson Explorer

My first sign that I have eaten gluten is sore gums...usually turns into nasty white ulcers.

Guest BERNESES

Thanks for replying...... my gums hurt again today and the only thing I ate yesterday that was new was a frozen fruit bar that had no gluten in the ingredients and the only warning it had was that it may contain milk or milk protein. My tummy is also acting up and it seems as though the 2 go hand-in-hand. I suppose it could have been made on shared equipment. :angry:

Guest Robbin

:) Hi Beverly, I hate to say this, but it may be the dairy. I have had problems with mouth ulcers, sore throats and gum sores since I was a kid and it got better gluten-free, but not gone until I found out about the casein intolerance and cut out dairy. Now, I get the exact symptoms of glutening with dairy. You may want to try cutting it out for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

btw-Love your new avatar---what an amazingly beautiful couple you are!!

Guest BERNESES
:) Hi Beverly, I hate to say this, but it may be the dairy. I have had problems with mouth ulcers, sore throats and gum sores since I was a kid and it got better gluten-free, but not gone until I found out about the casein intolerance and cut out dairy. Now, I get the exact symptoms of glutening with dairy. You may want to try cutting it out for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

btw-Love your new avatar---what an amazingly beautiful couple you are!!

Oh Robbin- that's so sweet! He's my big bear... toughing it out together right now but he's doing much better.

So, dairy huh? Well, it's worth a shot. It's the one thing I've put off putting off. Guess I have no choice....feel hideous today. <_<

Rachel--24 Collaborator

My gums get really sore from dairy. At least thats what I think its from. It only happens when I eat dairy....which is almost never...so it seems like I have my answer. Its a really uncomfortable feeling when it happens though. Fortunately its not that often.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

I have problems with my gums at different times in my cycle, so I think for me there is a hormone connection.

But in unrelated events, I also notice a significant amount of what the dentist called "erosion" at the base of the tooth where I get like an electrical shock sort of if I touch the area. I wonder if it had to do with undiagnosed allergies all these years??

Our bodies are so weird :blink:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
But in unrelated events, I also notice a significant amount of what the dentist called "erosion" at the base of the tooth where I get like an electrical shock sort of if I touch the area. I wonder if it had to do with undiagnosed allergies all these years??

I think that comes from gum recession. The gums arent totally covering the root of the tooth so the exposed area can cause that kind of sensation when you touch it. I dont think its related to food allergies though...I think it can happen to anyone. The dentist always tells me to floss more to prevent that from happenning....not that I'm good at following through. :ph34r:

Guest BERNESES

Well, apparently it was my toothpaste. Sensodyne.... who would have known? Going back to Tom's of maine. I should have known better!

• 3 weeks later...
azmom3 Contributor

Ok, this probably sounds weird, but when you say your gums hurt...what do they feel like? I have the sensation of constantly wanting to press on them...which I do...it relieves the discomfort only while I'm pressing on them and then it comes back. I wouldn't describe mine as pain, but more of bothersome or discomfort. Does this sound like what you're describing or is this totally different? anybody else feel like this? I also have receding gums as someone mentioned where it's very sensitive where the tooth and gum meet. Sensodyne is supposed to help, plus there is some sort of filler that the dentist can put on it to prevent future pain. It doesn't last forever, but you can always have it redone later. Sorry, I can't remember what it's called, but I had it quite a few years ago (and am ready for it again).

Guest BERNESES

My gums are sore constantly (when they are) but I just figured out two things. One, the whitener in my toothpaste was making my gums hurt (didn't know that at first). DO NOT SWITCH TO SENSODYNE- it has gluten in it. I found out the hard way.

You can brush your teeth with pure baking soda for a little while until they calm down. Also, I switched to Tom's of Maine and my gums haven't hurt since :D

• 3 months later...
Gypsybvi Newbie
Ok, this probably sounds weird, but when you say your gums hurt...what do they feel like? I have the sensation of constantly wanting to press on them...which I do...it relieves the discomfort only while I'm pressing on them and then it comes back. I wouldn't describe mine as pain, but more of bothersome or discomfort. Does this sound like what you're describing or is this totally different? anybody else feel like this? I also have receding gums as someone mentioned where it's very sensitive where the tooth and gum meet.

HI, I'm a new member, so not sure if it is too late to add to this discussion: My gums have been bothering me off an on for 6 months. Receding gumline and same sensation as described above. I self-diagnosed being gluten intolerant in April/May 06 and have been mostly gluten-free, though just had a week of antibiotics which is suspect had gluten. Gums considerable worse. Haven't tried going dairy free :(

Thanks! I think I messed this post up!

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Hi Gypsybvi--you can't do much to mess up a post. It's often helpful to bring up old posts, so thank you for doing it.

I actually get two types of gum soreness. Before I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia, I had large red sores that would extend from the base of my tooth and creep along the gums and spread out--that was painful and felt better if I touched it. I also get neuralgia when I'm congested, and that's a constant pain like you feel as though your teeth will fall out. Decongestant or advil helps with this one. I haven't had gum soreness specifically from celiac disease, but my PA is from having celiac. The neuralgia just shows up on its own, and a lot of other people in my family get it as well.

Archived