This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

AggieKate
    Newest Member
    AggieKate
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      As Scott pointed out, there are too many variables to be able to give a black and white answer to your question. Another variable I would mention is the huge range in sensitivity to small amounts of gluten exposure that is found in the celiac community. What will trigger a reaction in one celiac may not in another. One more variable is the amount of gluten that will find its way into a food product from cross contamination in any given production run. It likely will not be the same each time.
    • Scott Adams
      Welcome to the forum. This would be a personal choice that you would need to make. I eat many different products that don't necessarily have "gluten-free" on their label, for example potato chips, salsa, tortilla chips, etc, while other people won't eat such products. If "gluten-free" is on the label, and it is made in a facility that also processes wheat, then technically it is supposed to be gluten-free, however, there is a possibility of contamination if the manufacturer doesn't do proper cleaning or handling of ingredients. 
    • Richwhitelady
      I keep seeing people post on social media that it's ok for celiacs to eat gluten-free food that's made on shared equipment. Early in my diagnosis I was told otherwise. Is it really safe for us to eat gluten-free food made on shared equipment? I'd like to hear from an expert if possible.
    • Celiac comments
      It is fall feeding time and feeding 6 bales of wheat hay a day. Now I have eyelid rash and other rashes. It is hot and dry, so easy for hay dust to get in the air. Especially if a cow grabs a flake and shakes it by me. And we are feeding up the last of leftover hay from last year which has some mouse damage. I think I am going to need someone else to feed the wheat hay, at least until it rains. Anyone else have problems with handling wheat hay? 
    • Scott Adams
      I agree, and here is an older article on this topic: