This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Figure This Out/getting Sick

j9n

j9n Contributor

What is making me sick? Is sour cream gluten-free? I can not get into the web page for foster farms and the label says modified food starch. Could this be the culprit? I have been eating homemade guacamole. This is frustrating!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

I couldn't find Foster Farms Sour Cream on any of my gluten-free lists, but that does not mean it is a problem. You would probably have to call the company, if you can't get through on their website. The number should be on the package.

Could you be having a problem with dairy, in general. It can cause some pretty bad reactions to people who are intolerant of it. For me the reaction is a horribly painful stomachache, gas, cramping, diarrhea, and extreme urgency with BM's. It feels different for me than a gluten accident, and I do not get the fatigue I get with gluten, or the DH rash.

God bless,

Mariann

gf4life Enthusiast

I went to the Foster Farms Website, and it was a bit confusing. I did eventually find the Customer Service information though. for anyone who wants to get a hold of them and find out the gluten-free status of their products this info might be helpful.

Foster Farms Dairy

cs@fosterdairyfarms.com

Customer Hotline 1-800-588-2334

Consumer Services 1-800-273-2226

No point in me checking, we can't have any dairy products... <_<

God bless,

Mariann

j9n Contributor

Thanks Mariann. I did email them and I will post their response. I could be lactose intolerant. Hum, can't the doctor test me for this? My intestines are still really sensitive and I did have some home made ice cream as well. I do know that eggs make me ill. Back to chicken and rice again.

My gut feels like something is fermenting in there, with cramps and steatorrhea (sorry to be so gross), weight loss. It is an obvious reaction to something, just what? Does this sound like a problem with lactose?

terri Contributor

One little bit of gluten can make you feel ill for quite a long time. My son-in-law made the artichoke dip for Sunday and rather than use the ingredients my daughter had laid out for him (like Hellman's mayo) he decided to use the Kraft light that was already opened. Well, that's not safe for us (their regular is tho') and I still feel awful! Burping, expelling gas, heatburn, stomach pains. It's been waking me up at night and just now at work they heard me clear across the hall! I never know when it's coming and it just happens! I expect by the weekend it may stop but in the meantime I feel rotten! So, it may have been your sour cream (I use Daisy, it's pure) or something else that got slipped to you. It's hard to avoid everything! I have to eat out twice at lunch this week and am worried sick about that! So, hang in there! It will get better.

lovegrov Collaborator

I was just in the store and the Kraft Lite mayo looks safe for us. Kraft says it will clearly list gluten and there was no wheat or barley anywhere in sight. HOWEVER, if the jar was already open somebody might have already contaminated it making a sandwich.

richard

terri Contributor

He also added 2 types of cheese, artichokes and sour cream. He used Daisy Sour Cream so that's okay. All the lists I have say Kraft Mayo- regular only is gluten free but you have a great point about cross contamination! I bet there were tons of bread crumbs in there. I have never personally read the label of any Kraft Mayo as I'm a Hellman's fan. Who knows? It's so complicated. I still can't find a gluten free Chili Sauce and I have so many good recipes that calls for it. Guess I could substitute Heinz Kicked Up Catsup. Anyhow, thanks again about reminding me of cross contamination. We're going to lunch there in a few weeks so I will definitely bring that up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

j9n Contributor

Well Foster farms emailed me and said their sour cream is gluten free. Hum, maybe I need to cut out dairy for awhile anyway.

I have found I need my own butter stick, I went to use some and there were bread crumbs on it. Oh well, if I go dairy free and get some fake butter stuff no one in the house will touch it anyway!

terri Contributor

Speaking of fake butter stuff, Smartbeat is gluten free. I like their squeeze stuff.It's only 5 calories! Of course as I don't eat bread, I just use it on potatoes and veggies. The only bread I eat is the Buthanese Red Rice and it lasts me months. I'd rather have my sandwich on a Lundberg wild rice cake spead with cream cheese and topped with meat, tomatoes & cheese. Anyhow, they suggest easing up on the dairy when you first go gluten free. I didn't but limited myself to cheese only. Good luck!

flagbabyds Collaborator

I went dairy free for the first year I was on the diet and then they eased it back into my diet and here I am today sitting at the computer eating string cheese and a glass of milk. If you go off it for a while it willl help your intestines heal easier.

Archived