This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss And Calories

guitarplayer4God

guitarplayer4God Explorer

I'm 15 yrs old and I have lost a lot of weight! I can't seem to gain it back, I am trying to eat a lot of high calorie foods, I ate a lot today and don't feel so good. Does anyone know of any high calorie foods?

Thank you!

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samking72 Rookie

Try having a meal replacement drink with your meals. They have alot of calories in them. I think Nestle has gluten-free ones. It will say gluten-free right on the can, I think.

Try having a meal replacement drink with your meals. They have alot of calories in them. I think Nestle has gluten-free ones. It will say gluten-free right on the can, I think.

Thanks! I'm not sure if I can have nestle though. I have a lot of other food allgeries as well,I am allgeric to dairy, soy and peanuts. It is hard to find high calorie foods that don't have any of that in it.

Guest schmenge

I don't think simply consuming high calorie foods is the way to go. Many times those are empty calories. If you can, you should try and seek out a nutritionist. If you want more calories, get them from eat a good diet, just a lot of that diet. At your age your body is growing and can take in one heck of a lot of calories. But that changes one day. :)

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

avocados

nut butters (walnut, almond)

meat/fish

potatoes (though not particularly nutritious)

good luck!

Nancym Enthusiast

I second avocados. There are seeds and nuts (if you're not allergic) and they make "butter" out of some nuts, like almond butter or macadamia nut butter. Also you might try dates (the fruit). There are some fatty meats that might be a good choice for you, pork ribs, pork shoulder. You might try using coconut oil or coconut milk. You could make shakes out of full-fat coconut milk and add some frozen fruit.

If you know how to bake you could use almond meal and/or flax meal to bake with. Both very caloric.

Good luck! I'd send you some of my extra fat reserves but they don't want to come off.

gfp Enthusiast

I will 3rd avocado's :D

Often more regualr sized meals is better than increasing portion size or just adding calories.

Take small meals and a rest afterwards, Sumo eat mainly vegetable soup ... just lots and sleep after.

Doing exersize will stimulate appetite.

I don't think simply consuming high calorie foods is the way to go. Many times those are empty calories. If you can, you should try and seek out a nutritionist. If you want more calories, get them from eat a good diet, just a lot of that diet. At your age your body is growing and can take in one heck of a lot of calories. But that changes one day. smile.gif
Doesn't it just!

But its true, you are what you eat.

Also, chew your food, eat slowly. Make it easy for your body to extract nutrients from what you eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

How do you eat an avocado? Like what do you eat and how do you cut it up? I've never had one before and I was just wondering how to eat the thing ha ha.

key Contributor

Make sure you get the avocadoes when they are turning a browner color and they slightly give when pushed on. I like the Haas avocadoes the best. Sam's Club sells them in a pack of 5 alot of the time and they are much cheaper.

I just cut them in half and take the seed out, salt and eat with a spoon. Also they are great if you remove the contents, put on a plate, smash with a fork and salt. Dip corn chips or tortilla's in them. Guacamole is good too, but I don't know the recipe right off hand. YOU could Google a recipe for it. I also slice them and put on sandwiches. Very good. I love them! We also eat them on taco salads, salads and with enchilada's.

Almonds are good nut to eat. You can grind them and put them on hot cereal. That way you get more of them.

Also smoothies made with yogurt are good and you can add Flaxseed oil for fat. I am not sure what kind of yogurt you would add, since you can't have dairy or soy. Maybe Goat yogurt. Do they make that?? Not sure.

I use Frozen Banana's, Frozen strawberries, blueberries, Orange juice, yogurt and flaxseed oil. My kids love these.

HOpe you figure out what works for you. How long have you been gluten free? It takes awhile to heal and sometimes even when you are gluten free you have alot of stomach aches for awhile. Be sure you are being very careful and not getting any cross contamination from gluten ( you may already be doing this).

Monica

eleep Enthusiast

Avocados are great in scrambled eggs or omelets (I don't recall seeing eggs on your allergy list). I've also been eating a lot of avocados with a little olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and cashews or other nuts as a salad.

I also make chili and heap chunks of avocado on top (instead of cheese or sour cream). Actually, leftover bean chili and avocados make a great omelet stuffing, come to think of it -- and there's lots of weight-gain potential there.

Having written this, I think I might need to go have a second breakfast.

eleep

Make sure you get the avocadoes when they are turning a browner color and they slightly give when pushed on. I like the Haas avocadoes the best. Sam's Club sells them in a pack of 5 alot of the time and they are much cheaper.

I just cut them in half and take the seed out, salt and eat with a spoon. Also they are great if you remove the contents, put on a plate, smash with a fork and salt. Dip corn chips or tortilla's in them. Guacamole is good too, but I don't know the recipe right off hand. YOU could Google a recipe for it. I also slice them and put on sandwiches. Very good. I love them! We also eat them on taco salads, salads and with enchilada's.

Almonds are good nut to eat. You can grind them and put them on hot cereal. That way you get more of them.

Also smoothies made with yogurt are good and you can add Flaxseed oil for fat. I am not sure what kind of yogurt you would add, since you can't have dairy or soy. Maybe Goat yogurt. Do they make that?? Not sure.

I use Frozen Banana's, Frozen strawberries, blueberries, Orange juice, yogurt and flaxseed oil. My kids love these.

HOpe you figure out what works for you. How long have you been gluten free? It takes awhile to heal and sometimes even when you are gluten free you have alot of stomach aches for awhile. Be sure you are being very careful and not getting any cross contamination from gluten ( you may already be doing this).

Monica

I'm not really sure how long I have been gluten free I think about a month or so...Yesterday I accidentally had soy though so I don't feel the greatest now. Soy is in everything its hard to watch out for it.

Thank you for all the replys. I bought an avocado today so I will have to try it!

Archived