This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Characteristics Of Flours

catfish

catfish Apprentice

I'm experimenting with mixing my own flour combinations, and I have found that they have very different properties that make one type good for one thing but useless for another. For instance, I find that millet and rice flour are too gritty to use for breading fried foods because the end result feels like it has sand in it. And while I have successfully used millet and potato starch mixture to make a white roux, it works quite poorly for making a brown roux as for gravy. Tapioca bread I tried was dry and spongey, whereas other types of breads have been way too dense.

What would be very helpful would be a good source of information on various flour types and what their properties are, what they are useful for and what they are not good for. Does anyone know where I can find information like this? Thanks. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim Explorer

One of Bette Hagman's books has a chart in the beginng about the flours, particulary protein content, etc. for them.

As you experiment, you'll pick up more and be able to tell what will work and won't. I recommend buying some of the flours and "playing" with them -- literally, put a little in your hand and feel it -- see how gritty it is, how heavy it is, etc. You'll learn a lot from this.

As you know, potato starch, corn starch and tapioca flour are all lighter flours. If you're making a bread product, you'll probably need to add at least one heavier flour (i.e., rice flour).

For thickening, instead of making a roux, have you tried making a slurry (cornstarch dissolved in a little water to make a runny paste). This is an excellent thickener for sauces and desserts.

Good luck.

Kim, Atlanta, GA

Archived