This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need More Of Yall's Wonderful Advice!

ptkds

ptkds Community Regular

My dd may have celiac disease. We are going to the GI dr on Monday. Anyway, she doesnt' seem to be eating much. I am not sure if it is from celiac disease or something else. She is 16 months old, and here is what she ate today: 1.5 bananas (she threw half of the 2nd one on the floor), a little bit of milk, 1 pb&j sandwich and a whole cup of milk. That is it. No snacks in between or anything. She never acted like she wanted food. She NEVER needs a snack between meals. She usually eats 3-4 times a day, but recently it has only been 2-3 times. Toddlers just need more food than that!

So, what do you guys think?? Could it be from celiac, or something else?

Thanks,

ptkds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Maybe she won't eat because eating gives her a tummy ache?

She needs meat to get iron. If she doesn't get enough protein and iron, her brain can't develop properly.

Do you think she might eat if you set out some food on a small kid's table with chairs? I know my grandchildren love sitting at their own little table. Then, instead of you trying to get her to eat, you just let her know the food is there when she wants it. Hopefully, she'll go and help herself now and then (maybe small amounts at a time, but sort of snacking throughout the day). There is no guarantee it will work, but worth a try.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

She may just not want to eat because she may associate food with feeling sick. When I was really sick with celiac disease all food seemed to make me sick. I would get explosive gas, bloating, and major D from almost anything I ate. I used to have major D almost every morning and I would usually feel ok stomach wise until I started eating again.

I suggest getting her tested for celiac disease. Just make sure there is gluten in her diet if you decide to gets tests done. If she is gluten-free, then she may get false negative results.

I also suggest getting food allergy testing done.

Daxin Explorer

It possible that she could have an upset stomach. Either from Celiac or some other source.

My DD is a little over 2, and she goes through a few days here and there where she does not eat.

Other possible reasons could be -- teething, ear ache etc. Does she have a fever? How long has this been going on? I would suggest that if she is not eating "normally" in a couple of days, then you may need to take her to see a doctor.

I hope that helps.

TCA Contributor

My son was like this until going gluten-free. He's still not a huge eater, but more normal. He hasn't been eating the past couple weeks b/c of a nasty cold and he's losing weight, but hopefully he'll feel better soon. After about a month on the diet he said out of the blue ,"Mommy, my tummy doesn't hurt anymore." I think that's why he wouldn't eat.

eKatherine Rookie

It's also true that toddlers, being really small, have fairly low caloric requirements between growth spurts. It is normal for it to appear that they are eating almost nothing.

shayesmom Rookie
My dd may have celiac disease. We are going to the GI dr on Monday. Anyway, she doesnt' seem to be eating much. I am not sure if it is from celiac disease or something else. She is 16 months old, and here is what she ate today: 1.5 bananas (she threw half of the 2nd one on the floor), a little bit of milk, 1 pb&j sandwich and a whole cup of milk. That is it. No snacks in between or anything. She never acted like she wanted food. She NEVER needs a snack between meals. She usually eats 3-4 times a day, but recently it has only been 2-3 times. Toddlers just need more food than that!

So, what do you guys think?? Could it be from celiac, or something else?

Thanks,

ptkds

Personally, I agree with a pp that she is probably associating feeling ill with eating due to Celiac. My dd was the same way up until we took gluten out of her diet. I swear she ate just enough not to starve! When we went gluten-free, her appetite seemed to triple and now she eats very healthily. We do have days where her appetite is less than others, but it's for a day here or there....or a meal here or there. It usually depends on the atmosphere (if we're at a party or other social venue she barely eats as she's too "busy"). In any case, the difference was quite profound.

I really hope that the biopsy is scheduled for soon. I hate the fact that this takes so incredibly long. Especially when you have a potential answer in sight and you can't even try it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

azmom3 Contributor

My little guy doesn't each much either. I always carry something in my purse for him so I can sneak in any small amount of calories any where I can....a snack while he's in the stroller, at the park, wherever. I also share a bite of anything I'm eating as sometimes he's more interested in mine, (probably just because it's not his.) Maybe these aren't the best eating habits to establish, but until he is able to put on a little weight, I will try anything and this does seem to help for us. Sometimes, he'll eat 6-8 times a day, but maybe only have 1-2 bites of something each time. We just keep trying. I agree though that a toddler this age doesn't need a whole lot so sometimes it appears they're not eating much when they're really getting enough. Good luck!

Guest Jordan

When I read your posting I couldn't believe how similar it sounded to one I posted on a different site a few months ago. At the time my 15 month old was barely eating and I could not figure out why. Finally the doctors found out she had celiac (I had never even heard of it or gluten until then). Even when the doctor told me about it I was very skeptical b/c I figured it wasn't anything serious - just a extremely picky eater with a small appetitie. I would never believed how big of a difference a change in diet has made. She does eat more (without any fighting) although still quite picky about what, but more importantly she is completely changed in behavior. Not whiny or clingy anymore. She wants to run around and play. She is no longer what I used to think was "shy" (she really was feeling lousy" but is now as people often remark a "social butterfly." Anyways I just wanted to let you know that your posting really struck a cord with me and I hope the best for you and your daughter.

Archived