This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened At The Dentist?

oceangirl

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi All.

I think I may have been glutened while having my teeth cleaned. I had a reaction afterwards for a few days and wonder if it was the tooth polishing paste. (I haven't yet called to ask for ingredients.) But I'm thinking I'll bring my own toothpaste next time I have my teeth cleaned. Any insight, anyone? Thanks.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Plain pumice should always be all right but you always need to check flavored stuff ahead.

richard

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi All.

I think I may have been glutened while having my teeth cleaned. I had a reaction afterwards for a few days and wonder if it was the tooth polishing paste. (I haven't yet called to ask for ingredients.) But I'm thinking I'll bring my own toothpaste next time I have my teeth cleaned. Any insight, anyone? Thanks.

lisa

You need to let the dentist know about the celiac so they can check everything they use on you. Risks lurk in more than just the cleaning process and if you get a good dose of it when your gums are irritated it can have real bad effects. Let them know and make sure they check what they use.

oceangirl Collaborator
You need to let the dentist know about the celiac so they can check everything they use on you. Risks lurk in more than just the cleaning process and if you get a good dose of it when your gums are irritated it can have real bad effects. Let them know and make sure they check what they use.

Thank you both very much! I did let the hygienist (yikes, spelling?) know but she was new and young. I guess I'll need to speak with my dentist. I didn't think about it all until I was there in the chair!

lisa

Guest nini

I'm taking my daughter to the dentist today and while I don't know specifically what brands they use, I know they can use baking soda and water if it's not gluten-free. I called a little while ago to remind them to verify ingredients (I had asked them to do so when I made the appointment)... I'll be going in armed with the info that

Sultan brand Dental products may contain gluten but their prophy polish and prep & polish is supposed to be gluten-free

Nupro brand polishes are all gluten-free

Denticare products are all gluten-free

PCXX flavored flourides are all gluten-free

Perfect Choice flavored flourides are all gluten-free EXCEPT Marshamallow and Peppermint

Perfect Solutions flavored flouride flavors that are gluten-free are Mint, Bubble Yum, and Blast O Berry

so far that's all I know... I don't know which brands this new dentist uses

hez Enthusiast

I spoke with my dentist and then called the company because they were unsure. Turns out the company is nupro. They were very nice and are gluten-free! This is a common polish so I would call the dentist to see which one they use.

Hez

oceangirl Collaborator
I spoke with my dentist and then called the company because they were unsure. Turns out the company is nupro. They were very nice and are gluten-free! This is a common polish so I would call the dentist to see which one they use.

Hez

Thank you all! I will call and check on these brands. Nini- thank you for extensive list!

Smile on-

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gamecreature Rookie

After letting the dentist know, he got out the pumice, which is what they use prior to sealants, because it's free of flavor and fragrance, etc. He apologized for the taste, but it really didn't bother me at all. I think I prefer it to the overly flavored stuff they've been using on me up til now.

elye Community Regular

Ask about their gloves--often these are packed with flour sprinkled between them to keep them from sticking (this from my good friend, who is a long-time hygienist).

oceangirl Collaborator
Ask about their gloves--often these are packed with flour sprinkled between them to keep them from sticking (this from my good friend, who is a long-time hygienist).

Thanks, Emily! I didn't even think of the gloves.

lisa

Guest nini

ok, my daughter's dentist appt. went great. They used Nupro paste (gluten-free) and Pascal Flouride (also gluten-free) the gloves were powder free and they also had laytex free/powder free gloves for the really allergic

interestingly enough on my daughter's x-rays she has two spots on her two back molars that look like a "defect" but there is no sign of decay or cavities... the Dentist suggested maybe since she's Celiac, that before going gluten-free when her teeth were forming, (especially since this is on both sides) that it caused a defect in her teeth. They are going to keep an eye on it...

MistressIsis Apprentice

I never even thought about this! I have a cleaning in Dec. Definitely going to call ahead. My guy didn't believe me about the enamal part until I brought him a published paper...apparently going from a mouthful of cavaties each visit down to none didn't convince him.

Nooner Newbie
I never even thought about this!

Ditto! Thanks for bringing all this up!

As for the gloves, anybody have any idea what brand? Does it say on the box they are dusted with flour?

~Li

elye Community Regular

Dunno about this. I'll ask my hygienist friend, but I have my doubts that it is listed anywhere on the packaging. Just shows you how little informed the medical world still is on this sensitivity! Sure, they've made non-latex gloves for the latex-sensitive, yet they throw wheat flour overtop of them...yeesh...

• 2 weeks later...
maria battista Newbie
Dunno about this. I'll ask my hygienist friend, but I have my doubts that it is listed anywhere on the packaging. Just shows you how little informed the medical world still is on this sensitivity! Sure, they've made non-latex gloves for the latex-sensitive, yet they throw wheat flour overtop of them...yeesh...

I've been very sick for 3 days (cramps/diarreah) after painting (gluten-free sherwin williams paint) using latex gloves- the top of the box (Liberty mechanic's latex gloves) says 'talc-free' but when you flip the box at the VERY bottom it reads 'powdered with absorbable dusting powder' <_<:angry::blink: I couldn't get a phone number for the company but called my pharmacist and she said that it is probably made with some lactose & starch containing powder...I currently follow a gluten-free lactose-free diet- the reaction was so severe I stayed in bed for the whole day on Monday- feeling better today! Now i'm looking for NO-POWDER GLOVES :rolleyes:

Archived