This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Pie Crust

gointribal

gointribal Enthusiast

So, my husband loves spinach quiche and cheese cake, I however can't eat these foods because of the crusts. I have recipes for these foods but no gluten-free pie crusts recipes. I have thought of using the pizza crust recipe (rice, cheese and egg) and changing it by using rice, sugar and eggs (use that in the cheese cake). However for the quiche I don't know, use swiss cheese instead of chedder? Does anyone know if this will work? Any ideas out there? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pilgrim South Rookie
So, my husband loves spinach quiche and cheese cake, I however can't eat these foods because of the crusts. I have recipes for these foods but no gluten-free pie crusts recipes. I have thought of using the pizza crust recipe (rice, cheese and egg) and changing it by using rice, sugar and eggs (use that in the cheese cake). However for the quiche I don't know, use swiss cheese instead of chedder? Does anyone know if this will work? Any ideas out there? Thanks

There are wonderful pie crust recipes out there. Carol Fenster and Betty Hagman (sp?) have great cookbooks with just what you are looking for. I especially like Carol's Special Occasions (I think it is) one. Pie crust is easy to make gluten-free, I have done it from both of their cookbooks. They each have published several. I also just googled gluten-free pie crust and found this Open Original Shared Link ....happy pie making!

debmidge Rising Star

I like to use the Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust mix...it's simple enough and tastes good

lpellegr Collaborator

Bette Hagmans' Vinegar crust is good - let me know if you want the recipe. Comes out just like regular pie crust, and no one can tell. I also like the shredded potato crust from the Moosewood cookbook for cauliflower-cheese pie - you can use this as a good base for any kind of quiche-like pie. It is a little time-consuming, but really good.

2 cups packed, grated raw potato (next time I'm going to try this with thawed hash brown potatoes)

1/2t salt

1 egg, beaten

1/4c grated onion (or use onion powder, less messy)

Set the freshly-grated potato in a colander over a bowl. Salt it and leave it for 10 minutes to drain. Squeeze out the excess water and add potato to remaining ingredients. Pat it into an oiled pie pan - you can use a fork or lightly rice-flour your fingers. Bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes until browned. After 30 minutes you could brush it with oil to crisp it, but this isn't really necessary.

Make up your quiche ingredients like you usually would in this crust and bake. Lots of work, but yummy.

As for quiche, I find you can use almost any combination of cheese and vegetables you like as long as you include the eggs and onions - I've used cooked kale or spinach with feta or swiss or cheddar, and sauteed cauliflower with cheddar is great. I put the sauteed veggies in the crust, top with shredded cheese, and pour the egg mix over the top and bake. You can also eliminate the crust entirely - I sometimes put all this in a greased 8 x 8 pan and bake it, then cut it into squares to reheat for breakfast. I don't miss the crust and it's less work.

kathy1 Contributor

I tried making gluten-free Quiche crust for my celiac husband,but it was awful! Now I make my quiche crustless. It comes out exactly the same, but with no crust. I just spray the pan with oil and toss in my ingrediants. Very simple!

gointribal Enthusiast

thanks for all the tips you guys! :) I hadn't heard about the potato crust, I can't wait to use it.

BFreeman Explorer

I made a cheesecake last night and made up my crust as I went; it worked out well but I would probably use less butter next time:

I melted 1/2 stick butter and stirred in about 1 1/2 cups (before crushing) of crushed gluten-free rice krispie type cereal, a little package of finely chopped walnuts (the size that has less than a cup in it), and about 1/3 cup sugar; pressed it onto a springform pan and baked it ten minutes before I poured the cheesecake over it. It was crispy and tasted good. (The cheesecake was that one that has four packages of full-fat cream cheese and 3/4 cup heavy cream in it; no telling how many calories!)

BF

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived