This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yeast Infections?

Marlene

Marlene Contributor

Hello there,

Well, I have been gluten free for just over 3 months now. For the last couple of weeks I have been noticing a feeling like I am on the verge of a yeast infection but it never gets beyond that. Things feel a little irritated and I am noticing more discharge. I have only ever had about 3 yeast infections in my entire life. Is this common when someone goes gluten free? Any advise would be appreciated.

thank you,

Marlene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JenKuz Explorer
Hello there,

Well, I have been gluten free for just over 3 months now. For the last couple of weeks I have been noticing a feeling like I am on the verge of a yeast infection but it never gets beyond that. Things feel a little irritated and I am noticing more discharge. I have only ever had about 3 yeast infections in my entire life. Is this common when someone goes gluten free? Any advise would be appreciated.

thank you,

Marlene

I don't know why it would be more common with a gluten free diet (not that it might not be, I just don't know anything about that). What I do know is that the same beneficial bacteria populate the vagina as the gut. So a good way to keep yeast at bay is to sprinkle a little probiotic powder from a capsule onto a tampon and wear it for a while. Or you can dissolve it into a d%$#@#$. But the tampon method works wonders for a healthy "environment" ;)

Yenni Enthusiast

Can you eat Naturel Yoghurt? It has those bacterias in them and helpes with candida infections.

There are pills to eat too.

I actually have gotten much less of this problem since I stopped with gluten. I have had problems all my adult life.

Also not using soap down there helpes, not taking baths, sleeping without under wear, avoiding sweets, not spray water down there a lot.

BostonCeliac Apprentice

I would definitey NOT recommend a d%$#@#$ -- this can lead to a yeast infection!!

I have been having similar issues -- and I think it has to do with all of the changes going on with the new diet. My doctor recommended I take a Probiotic Acidophilous (sp?) pill daily. Or you could eat yogurt daily as the previous poster recommended. This should help to keep things in check "down there".

Also - other suggestions: cotton underwear (or no underwear none at night maybe), keeping area very dry (cool hairdryer after shower), and maybe a little vitamin C to keep the acidity up...

just realized how similar this was to akJenny's post....

chrissy Collaborator

more discharge than normal can cause the irritation you are describing-----you may have an infection of another sort, rather than a yeast infection.

tiffjake Enthusiast
more discharge than normal can cause the irritation you are describing-----you may have an infection of another sort, rather than a yeast infection.

Yes, there is Bacterial Vaginosis, a bacterial infection. It is actually "common"-meaning not something doctors don't see every day. Sensitive people can delevope them from changing their fabric softener, underwear (cotton to lycra blend), or swimming. Anything that can effect the pH balance "down there" can cause one bacteria (that is ok to have) to overgrow. You might need antibiotics for a week. There in one, Tyndamycin (I think) that you take 4 times in ONE DAY and you are done!

But you willl need to go to the doc if you think that is what it is. There isn't any OTC stuff for it.

And I ditto above, I have fewer Y.I.'s since going gluten-free.

Marlene Contributor

Thanks to all for your practical suggestions. I can't eat yogurt, unfortunately, but I will try some of your other ideas. I am so thankful for this board, it's great to get feedback and know that we are not trying to make sense of everything on this diet etc by ourselves.

Marlene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

A tidbit of info re:yeast

Men can harbour yeast and re-infect their partner. It is more common in uncircumcised males - simply because the foreskin provides a place for bacteria and yeast to live. Yeast and bacteria are part of the "normal flora" that live along the outer reproductive tract. When the balance is disrupted by illness, hormones out of whack, too frequent washing with soap - as opposed to plain ol water - then overgrowth occurs. The overgrowth is what we experience when we have those horrible itchy red yucky infections.

Men need to "wash" after confining "things" in a warm moist enviroment before they snuggle up for nookie if their partner is susceptible to yeast infections. If he were to clean vigorously with soap and water every day - he sets himself up for yeast infection in the foreskin - just as uncomfortable as it is for us girls.

Plain ol water - keeps it clean. If a man gets yeast in the foreskin, canesten cream is used to treat the area - same as the ladies. I would imagine the guys would steal some from their significant other rather than stroll into the drugstore and buy their own :rolleyes::D

*In the vet world, when we clean an animal in preparation for artificial insemination, or prior to an assisted birth, or cultures of the vagina....... we use only water. If a well meaning person uses soap/water and scrubs - you pretty much guarantee a skin infection/swelling/discharge. The animals have yeast too too!

**Add on - avoid bubblebaths too if you are prone to yeast - they can cause chemical irritation which precipitates a yeast overgrowth.

Epsom salts in a warm bath can help control the symptoms and feels good.

Mamato2boys Contributor

Yes, definitely skip the douching. If you have a bacterial infection, you're only going to wash the bacteria further up into the vagina. Also, I heard quite some time ago that douching is connected to cervical cancer (due to flushing of bacteria up near the cervix). OB/GYNs now tell you never to use a d%$#@#$ AT ALL unless you've been prescribed a medical d%$#@#$ by your doctor.

Michi8 Contributor
If a man gets yeast in the foreskin, canesten cream is used to treat the area - same as the ladies. I would imagine the guys would steal some from their significant other rather than stroll into the drugstore and buy their own :rolleyes::D

A tip about yeast infection meds: the Canesten cream is exactly the same stuff as many other antifungals on the shelf...it's also sold as a jock itch med, or for treating athlete's foot. Clotrimazole is the active med in those creams...and the "men's" version is actually much cheaper than the stuff marketed to women. Look for a generic brand for the best price. :)

Michelle

Terch Apprentice

Apparently you can get yeast infections from stress too. I have only been gluten free for 4 weeks but so far so good. My gyno actually said to put yogurt on a tampon so the information on here is very good.

Archived