This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Noodles

Confused in Iowa

Confused in Iowa Rookie

Was wondering if anyone had a receipe for homemade egg noodles. My family is desperately missing Chicken and Noodles over mashed potatos. Just wondering if you just replace the regular flour with some sort of gluten free flour and if so, what type is the best. I've never been good at making homemade noodles so always used Mrs. Reames boughten noodles before we had to go gluten free. One thing - with this eating in our family - I've sure learned to experiment cooking!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spunky Contributor

I've never had any luck making noodles, but if you go to an Asian store you can find all sorts of noodles...all shapes and sizes, made from rice, cornstarch, or tapioca (read labels...they have some wheat noodles too). This probably wouldn't be exactly what your family is missing, but Asian noodles are cheap enough to experiment with, and maybe you could find a decent alternative.

lonewolf Collaborator

I make pasta once in a while for a ravioli-type dish. I have cut the leftover dough into noodle strips and everyone in my house has liked them. They are a bit thicker than commercial noodles, but I think that all homemade pasta is. I make the following recipe, but I leave out the egg and substitute a little more oil and water, since I can't have eggs.

Gluten Free Pasta

1/2 C Rice flour (I usually use brown, but white might work even better)

1/4 C Tapioca Flour

1/4 C Potato Starch

1-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Egg

1 tsp. oil

1+ Tbs. water

Sift dry ingredients 3 times to make sure that xanthan gum is evenly distributed. Stir in egg, oil and water and mix until dough forms a ball. It should be slightly sticky - not too dry. You may need a bit more water or flour (use rice flour) depending on how big your egg is and how much humidity is in the air. Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes. Roll out pretty thin, cut into desired shapes and boil in water for 4-5 minutes.

cycler Contributor

I mentioned in another post that Manishewitz has Egg Noodles from potato flour (they're Kosher for Passover so you might not see them for a couple of months except if your store still has them from last year).

I cooked a noodle kugel using them and it was just like the real one!

hineini Enthusiast

Glutino (or was it Glutano? I think it's Glutino) makes an egg-noodle-like pasta called Tagliatelle that you can buy online... I just bought some but havne't yet tasted it.

jerseyangel Proficient
I mentioned in another post that Manishewitz has Egg Noodles from potato flour (they're Kosher for Passover so you might not see them for a couple of months except if your store still has them from last year).

I cooked a noodle kugel using them and it was just like the real one!

I'm intolerant to grains and tapioca, so I'm really looking forward to these--thanks :)

Confused in Iowa Rookie
I make pasta once in a while for a ravioli-type dish. I have cut the leftover dough into noodle strips and everyone in my house has liked them. They are a bit thicker than commercial noodles, but I think that all homemade pasta is. I make the following recipe, but I leave out the egg and substitute a little more oil and water, since I can't have eggs.

Gluten Free Pasta

1/2 C Rice flour (I usually use brown, but white might work even better)

1/4 C Tapioca Flour

1/4 C Potato Starch

1-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Egg

1 tsp. oil

1+ Tbs. water

Sift dry ingredients 3 times to make sure that xanthan gum is evenly distributed. Stir in egg, oil and water and mix until dough forms a ball. It should be slightly sticky - not too dry. You may need a bit more water or flour (use rice flour) depending on how big your egg is and how much humidity is in the air. Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes. Roll out pretty thin, cut into desired shapes and boil in water for 4-5 minutes.

Thanks so much for the receipe. I will have to try it! I seem to have more assortments of flour that I ever imagined was out there in my cupboard anymore. Hopefully Tapioca is one that i've boughten and have on hand. The worse thing about living in small town Iowa, is that I have to drive 45 minutes to Des Moines to get items that are gluten free.

I saw on the news the other night a segment on Celiac Disease. I believe they said that 1 out of 100 are diagnosed with the disease. Unless I didn't hear it correctly. But back a few months ago when my son was diagnosed, they told us then and I read in various places that it was 1 in 300.

Which even tho hate to see people have this, that's great news, because then restaurants will have to cater to us.

Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaten Enthusiast

My husband is from the Midwest and grew up on homemade noodles. When I was diagnosed Celiac he was very supportive and eats gluten-free with me...completely gluten-free kitchen. I knew I had to find a noodle recipe that would satisfy his noodle needs in appreciation for his support.

A recipe on this site in the recipe index https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-09106314752.ce

for "Homemade Pasta/Chow Mein Noodles" I use the variation called "Homemade Gluten-Free Pasta." He loves them!!! The dough does feel tough but it cooks & tastes great. Do roll them very very thin. yum!!!

mommida Enthusiast

Confused in Iowa,

You are correct. When I first started looking into Celiac Disease it was 1 in 40,000; then 1 in 300; 1 in 133; and now new reports on celiac disease are 1 in 100. I don't know which study has proven this latest statistic.

L.

Archived