This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lemon Poppyseed Cake?

hineini

hineini Enthusiast

Anyone have a recipe for lemon poppyseed cake, or one that could be easily adapted to become lemon poppyseed cake?

I found only one recipe by searching on google and it required tofu (I don't eat soy)

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My mother makes a fantastic lemon sponge cake that's gluten-free, the recipie is on the back of the potato starch box i think. If you can't find it, or don't find a recipie that works, let me know and I'll get it from her.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't have a recipe but this is a really good (gluten, dairy and soy-free) mix:

Open Original Shared Link

It's muffins, but I'm wondering if it could somehow be made into a cake :unsure:. The same company also makes a plain lemon cake mix.

hineini Enthusiast

Mango - Thanks for the tip. I want to make it from scratch, though.

Stronger - Which brand of potato starch? The kind I have at home is Japanese, though I usually use Manischewitz. I bet I could add poppy seeds to a sponge cake.

I'm starting to think I'd probably be best off just finding a gluten-free pound cake recipe and adding lemon juice, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i would suggest searching recipe sites like epicurious.com and allrecipes.com

maybe even taking a regular gluten-free cake recipe and adding the stuff like you suggested

i know i made a really good lemon poppyseed bread awhile back, but i can't find the recipe :(

good luck and let us know how it turns out!

lpellegr Collaborator

Here's the recipe from Rebecca Reilly's Gluten Free Baking cookbook:

Lemon Poppy seed bread (makes 2 (9x5) loaves

1c milk

3/4c poppy seeds

2-3/4c basic gluten-free mix (it looks like you can use any gluten-free flour substitute here, without xanthan gum already in it)

1/2c almond flour

1T baking powder

3/4t xanthan gum

1/8t salt

2 sticks unsalted butter

1-1/3c packed brown sugar

3 eggs

1/2t vanilla extract

grated zest of 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 2 9x5 loaf pans and line with parchment paper (you could also make muffins in paper cups instead).

Heat the milk and add the poppy seeds. Let cool until just warm.

Mix together the gluten-free mix, almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.

Cream the butter until white. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the dry ingredients in 2 parts, alternating with the poppy seed and milk mixture. Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest.

Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans. Bake for 40 minutes or until done; the top should spring back when pressed gently. The muffins will take 15 to 18 minutes to bake.

Mmmm. E-mail me a slice when it's done. :P

GFBetsy Rookie

My sister just made a gluten free almond poppy seed cake (with a lemon glaze). It was really good .. . would you like that recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star
My sister just made a gluten free almond poppy seed cake (with a lemon glaze). It was really good .. . would you like that recipe?

I would! Could you post it?

Guest melannen

me too me too me too!! I want that recipe!

GFBetsy Rookie

Okay . .. here it is:

Almond Poppyseed Cake with Lemon Glaze

2 1/2 c. featherlight mix

1/2 c. gluten-free mix (recipes for these flour mixes are at the bottom)

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

3 eggs

1 1 /2 c. milk

1/2 c. oil

2 1/4 c. sugar

1 1/2 Tbs. poppy seeds

1 1/2 tsp almond extract

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients. Beat well for 2 minutes. Pour into 2 large greased loaf pans or 1 greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees. Loaf pans need to bake for about 1 hour, a cake pan needs to bake for 30 - 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Mix glaze and spoon on top of bread. (If you don't want to take the cake out of the pan, poke lots of small holes in the top of the cake, then sppon the glaze on top. The holes allow the glaze to penetrate the cake.)

Glaze

1/2 tsp. almond extract

1/2 tsp vanilla

3/4 c. powdered sugar

2 Tbs. lemon juice

up to 2 Tbs. water

Combine extract, vanilla, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Add water until the glaze reaches the consistency you want. (If you want, you can use 4 Tbs of lemon juice, but I find that a little strong. You could also use 4 Tbs. of orange juice in place of the lemon juice.)

Featherlight mix (Bette Hagman's recipe)

1 c. rice flour

1 c. cornstarch

1 c. tapioca starch

1 TBS. potato flour (NOT potato starch)

gluten-free mix (Bette Hagman's recipe)

6 c. rice flour

2 c. potato starch (NOT potato flour)

1 c. tapioca starch

hineini Enthusiast

Ooh, yay! Thanks for all the recipes. They look great... NOw, how to choose just ONE?!? ;-P

HawkFire Explorer

We like the kinnkinnik cake mixes. I would add the lemon and poppy seed to that. I have used the white cake mix to make an orange flavored cake with chocolate frosting. it was very good.

I used their pancake mix recently and added baked pumpkin to it for pumpkin pancakes. They were so good.

Jestgar Rising Star
Ooh, yay! Thanks for all the recipes. They look great... NOw, how to choose just ONE?!? ;-P

One?!?!? Sweetie, every week has a weekend.....

hineini Enthusiast

Heh heh - It's true! I can make them all. Especially now that I bought a big old bottle of poppyseeds. Sweet! (Literally)

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep--I say--go for it! :D

Archived