This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trip To Paris

sillyyak

sillyyak Enthusiast

I am heading to Paris for 14 days. Any restuarant suggestions? Tips? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Here is a link to a wonderful site, that will help you immensely. It is by a former member here (well, he is officially still a member), with the user name of gfp. He is British, living in Paris, and has put up this site specifically for English-speaking people with celiac disease who are visiting Paris. Open Original Shared Link

georgie Enthusiast

OMG ! I was cruising past and what girl wouldn't stop when she saw this thread ! Thanks for the link ! I may be going to Paris next year myself and have been ( quietly ) stressing about it. Just going in to check the link now. Does it include regional France ?

• 1 year later...
Lis Newbie

I tried clicking on the link above but it is no longer valid. I will be heading to Paris shortly and speak French fluently, so communication won't be a problem. But if anyone knows of any gluten-free restaurants, bakeries, etc, your input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Another option is to rent a room with a kitchen. I have been thinking about a trip to Paris. The results of my internet searches show that there are apartments and flats available for weekly rental. The price is about the same or only a little be higher than a hotel room. The major difference is most of the time they need to rented for a week and there are severe penalties if cancelled. Be sure to read all the fine print.

Have a super trip.

dh204 Apprentice
I tried clicking on the link above but it is no longer valid. I will be heading to Paris shortly and speak French fluently, so communication won't be a problem. But if anyone knows of any gluten-free restaurants, bakeries, etc, your input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

I lived in Paris for several years until recently...and I can say for sure that there are NO gluten free bakeries.

Though, I have seen at the chain store Naturalia fresh loaves of gluten-free bread, but I am very wary about them because they put them on the same shelves as the regular bread and I'm afraid of cross contamination issues.

I don't really have any leads for restaurants either. The safest would be to stick with a salad or maybe a steak tartare. There is a lunch place called Guenmai (6th arr) that serves organic food and you can ask for your dish to be gluten free, but it's pretty haphazard - sometimes they will put soy sauce on my food. There is also a post somewhere on this forum about a restaurant called Le Reminet in the 5th that people seem to have had great experiences with, but I went there once and the owner was all, "Sorry, I don't do gluten-free, but I can maybe check and see what I have that might be gluten free." (Which btw, was not much, just one main dish).

The safest way would be to cook your own food - you can get the Sch

• 2 months later...
Reeze Newbie
I lived in Paris for several years until recently...and I can say for sure that there are NO gluten free bakeries.

Though, I have seen at the chain store Naturalia fresh loaves of gluten-free bread, but I am very wary about them because they put them on the same shelves as the regular bread and I'm afraid of cross contamination issues.

I don't really have any leads for restaurants either. The safest would be to stick with a salad or maybe a steak tartare. There is a lunch place called Guenmai (6th arr) that serves organic food and you can ask for your dish to be gluten free, but it's pretty haphazard - sometimes they will put soy sauce on my food. There is also a post somewhere on this forum about a restaurant called Le Reminet in the 5th that people seem to have had great experiences with, but I went there once and the owner was all, "Sorry, I don't do gluten-free, but I can maybe check and see what I have that might be gluten free." (Which btw, was not much, just one main dish).

The safest way would be to cook your own food - you can get the Sch

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Hey, PM me and I will remember to look for my gluten-free Paris info when I get home tonight. I found a store that sold tons of gluten-free things, including croissants. Also there are some restaurants. I have it all written down in a little notebook I took with me though. It is hard there at restuarants, but there is so much fresh food everywhere you won't starve. I was there for three weeks and was fine.

babysteps Contributor

not sure if this is the same site, now with valid link, but looks helpful: Open Original Shared Link

have a good trip!

Paris can be a bit more, well, urban/busy/more business-like than the rest of France, but anywhere in the country if you share a love of food it can overcome a lot of language & diet issues.

To illustrate: At a hotel restaurant in Paris known for its cheeses, my husband once asked the cheese waiter/manager (affineur I think) if they had 'my favorite French cheese, Explorateur'. The cheese guy stuck his nose in the air and said/half spit 'that, sir is a factory cheese, we serve only artisanal cheese'. However, my spouse kept chatting with him and by the time our cheese course arrived, spouse ended up with 9 selections and the rest of us had 'only' 5 each.

• 2 months later...
Whocareswins Newbie

Hey Elonwy, what was the name of the place with gluten free croissants and foods? I'm moving to Paris and am desperate for good gluten free food.

Thanks!

gfp Enthusiast
Hey Elonwy, what was the name of the place with gluten free croissants and foods? I'm moving to Paris and am desperate for good gluten free food.

Thanks!

Most healthfood storews have some gluten-free selection however it can be patchy and the same store may not restock some items ... and the same chain might not carry the same items etc.

Naturalia does a whole thing about gluten-free bread but they REALLY DON'T HAVE A CLUE ..As already said the 'fresh gluten-free' bread is kept on the same shelves (unwrapped) as the normal bread.

Le Reminet : The owners got divorced and sold ...

My site no longer exists due to lack of interest... I couldn't get any input from anyone to contribute.

Overall, I'd recommend a appartment hotel where you can cook for yourself.

Paris is FULL of proper markets with fresh produce.

Archived