This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Nervous About Eating

Marlene

Marlene Contributor

Hey,

I have always been such a nervous person -- I think it's just another symptom of being gluten intolerant. Anway, after I started having episodes of D at rather "awkward moments" (before going gluten free) I have developed a real fear and nervousness about eating. When I am at home and I know I'll be there for a few hours, I am fine. However, if I have to eat and then go out right after or if I eat at someone else's home (even though it's gluten free food which I brought along myself), I end up with cramps and sitting on the can. Thankfully I don't get D hardly at all anymore but it's still rather urgent. I also have this at work which really sucks. I can eat something for supper at night at home and be fine with it, the next day I'll take the leftovers to work. When lunch time rolls around, I get really nervous about eating and of course, it hits my stomach like a brick. This is so bizarre because I know it's gluten free and I should be fine with it. I really want to get over this nervousness about eating because it makes my life miserable. Does anyone else have this? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm hoping that as time goes on and I get less and less bathroom episodes, I will be able to relax when it comes to eating. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Marlene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I would honestly recommend getting some help to deal with this.

I have had a similar problem where I don't like to eat - I think because it always used to make me sick that I just learned to associate eating with feeling sick and that doesn't appeal to me. I've never actually made myself nervous to the point of making myself sick. It really does make sense and there may be some books out there that can help you re-train your mind not to get nervous about eating since you are eating safe foods now.

I also had an issue with anxiety before going gluten-free. I went on xanax because I didn't know about gluten and I was very anxious. The xanax really helped and I only need it now when I'm glutened and get those same anxious feelings. That may be another option to help you calm down so you don't make yourself sick why you are trying to help your mind calm down.

Hope you get it under control soon and things get easier!

Looking for answers Contributor

I know exactly how you feel. I had similar issues that I had to work through after dealing with D for so long. However, my husband was more in line with how you're feeling. He used to have urgent D attacks all the time. It got to be so that he would have anxiety attacks when he felt "trapped" without an escape route to the restroom. This affected us both tremendously. We used to have Disneyland Annual passes but had to give them up because he couldn't STAND the thought of being trapped on a ride or in line.

My husband went gluten and dairy free. We now eat mostly organic and unprocessed foods. Since switching our diets, his D attacks are over. He also religiously take accidolphlus and digestive enzymes and can attest to how beneficial they are for him.

Take one step at a time and learn to talk over your negative mind talk (if that makes sense). My husband used a trick I learned to manage anxiety and that is to continually replace your negative thoughts with rationally thoughts, such as "What's the worse that can happen..." kind of thing. He's been able to overcome it. But if you're not able to, please reach out for help. You don't want this to snowball into something worse.

Also to help control anxiety, we both take a high dose of Omega 3's, calcium, vitamin C and B. See if they help you as well. We noticed the most difference with Omega 3's, so we buy the large quantity from Costco, because they can get expensive otherwise.

Sorry to ramble! Good luck and feel free to PM us if you need anything. We've been there!

key Contributor

I have been having a somewhat similar experience. I am scared to eat, because I feel yucky so much of the time. I am scared to go in the car or to other's homes, because I have the bathroom urgency. I absolutely HATE it. I feel like it is controls my life. I haven't been to church in three weeks, don't want to travel for holidays and don't ever want to eat out.

I would definitely use some of the ideas the person before you suggested. I try and talk myself out of it and that it is irrational. I have three kids with me all the time too and get nervous when driving places. THis is SO not like me either. I have always been very social and confident. I also weaned off Lexapro very abruptly and I think this was causing some panic attack symptoms (racing heart, shakes, etc), because it has been a month now and I am not having the panicky feelings very often or to the degree they were.

If you are worried while eating and worrying your food will make you sick, then it probably will. I would definitely reach out to someone if it doesn't get better. I can relate in some ways. I think you will get better as you heal and don't have D anymore.

Hope you feel better soon,

Monica

Archived