This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegetarian Celiac...craving Meat!

Ksmith

Ksmith Contributor

Hello all...Happy New Year! So here's the thing...I'm a vegetarian...have been for about 10 years. Lately I've been seriously craving meat...has this happened to any other vegetarians? I don't really want to start eating meat but my body seems to want it. Anyone know what's up?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hello all...Happy New Year! So here's the thing...I'm a vegetarian...have been for about 10 years. Lately I've been seriously craving meat...has this happened to any other vegetarians? I don't really want to start eating meat but my body seems to want it. Anyone know what's up?

It sounds like your body is trying to tell you something. ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

The only time I've craved meat was when I was anemic. But after going gluten-free it did seem less nasty. I doubt I'll ever like red meat, but I do eat it occasionally.

I would agree with Momma Goose. If you aren't willing to start eating meat, get all your vitamin levels checked along with your hematocrit. Maybe you're missing something.

Guest cassidy

I was a vegetarian off and on for 17 years. I would eat seafood, chicken and turkey sometimes, but never pork or red meat during that time. One night at dinner I asked someone for a bite of their steak and I loved it. I ate steak for about 2 years, but now it grosses me out again.

I too agree that your body is trying to tell you something. I hate milk and now that I'm pregnant I have the strongest cravings for milk. I'm drinking the stuff and I still don't like the idea of it, but I'm assuming my body wants it.

Ksmith Contributor

Yeah...I'm going to get my iron checked tomorrow. Thanks guys!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You can still get what your body needs with avoiding eating animals. Good luck!

Felidae Enthusiast

I only eat chicken and fish, but soon after going gluten-free I craved beef. I had my husband bbq a steak for me and I ate one bite. I couldn't stomach it, which was odd because I used to eat beef years ago and thankfully it doesn't appeal to me anymore. I haven't craved it since.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SillyBoo Newbie

I was a vegetarian off and on for many years. During the "off" years, I still avoided pork & beef. However, shortly after going gluten-free, I started having huge protein cravings. So, I eat LOTS of chicken, and occasionally have buffalo. The only other time I had a craving for red meat was when I was pregnant and very anemic. I'm not currently anemic - I think I just really need easily available protein while my guts are healing. I assume that as soon as I get past this phase, I will once again be hugely repulsed by dead mammals.

Ksmith Contributor

Y'all are making me feel a lot better...I have some dead animal and sustainability guilt :-)

spunky Contributor

I was a vegetarian for several years and then have been vegan for the past decade or so. After about 5 or 6 months gluten free, I started having meat cravings for the first time in at least 20 years.

I caved and ate some wild salmon, wild cod, and farmed shrimp. I don't know what is going on, or why, but they taste good suddenly and I feel I'm recovering and somehow these are tasting good, so about twice a week now I allow myself a serving of either wild fish or farmed shrimp. I've been doing that since last summer. I plan to quit again some day, but for now I'm following my craving.

Meat, poultry, eggs, dairy: those are still off my list and I can't see myself ever going back to them.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I don't eat meat, or any animal products for that mater. I don't ever crave it either, so I am going to guess that it's because I eat enough proteins, fats, and whatever else I would be getting from meat. I did used to eat it, but with every occasion found it to taste even worse than the last, and I also noticed it would make me feel a bit less than healthy for a few days. The smell was also getting to me, and I attribute these things to the overall lack of quality in the products. When opening a package of meat purchased on that day, and it already smell several days old, I know it's not as it is supposed to be.

Anyway, one thing I've read about many folks who decide to avoid animal products, is that they often forget to add something in its place. Being vegetarian or vegan is not just about what to exclude from the diet, but also what to include. I have always enjoyed peanut butter, and continue to eat it often. I also eat whole grains, lots of veggies (including dark leafy greens), legumes, and so forth.

So, for anyone who is craving meat but doesn't want to eat it, try legumes (lentils cook fast), nuts/peanuts, high protein grains such as millet, buckwheat, t'eff, quinoa, certain rices, etc. If legumes don't appeal to you, perhaps tofu will, as it makes a very good substitute for poultry. Get the extra-firm tofu, thoroughly drain, then freeze it for a few days before using it. This makes it noticeably more firm - resembling poultry. Add some seasonings and it really tastes good. Also don't overlook fats, as this too can be lacking depending on your food choices. Vitamin B12 supplements are a good idea too.

In short, try to widen your diet to include a broad range of different things. Doing this, I find I don't get cravings for anything in particular, unless I neglect something for too long a period of time.

jaspreet Newbie

I often do crave meat. I almost regretted being vegetarian after I found out I had celiac in the summer.

I should probably get checked for anemia too because I was anemic before I found out I had celiac.

But hopefully the cravings stop for both you and me.

Archived