This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quick Bread Question

kbabe1968

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I have several quick bread recipes....would I just be able to substitute the flours? I mean, quick breads don't really rely on gluten do they?

1 is a banana bread

1 is a cinnamon quick bread

I know they'll be denser, and probably drier...but would I be able just to use, say a mixture of white rice & brown rice flour (I want to stay away from beany type flours).

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momandgirls Enthusiast

I use the all the same recipes I used before my daughter was gluten free. I just substitute Gluten Free Pantry flour mix (I'm sure any brand is ok) cup for cup for the wheat flour. I've never had any problems with doing that. I have a fabulous recipe for banana bread that we make all the time and I actually find that, yes, it's a bit denser than before but much more moist.

larry mac Enthusiast

KB,

I'm certainly no expert on gluten-free baking, but I've made two kinds of muffins in the last week, and both came out good. I just go to Allrecipes.com ( the thing I like about them, is the recipe allows you to change the number of muffins, or whatever your making, and it automatically adjusts all the ingredient volumes for you). For instance, if a recipe says it makes 24 muffins, I change it to 12. If it says 6, change to 12, and so on. That way, they're all equal.

I look at about a dozen of the most popular recipes for say Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins (which I made last night), and also read a lot of the comments. Then I compile a list of ingredients and an "average" of each one. I figure that by examining "trends" in recipes, I've got the best chance of getting a good recipe, and the least chance of getting a bad recipe.

For instance, some people complained about the use of oil in the O-B muffins, saying they were too oily. Some complained about the use of butter, saying they were too cakey. So I used half oil & half butter!

Then I just substituted our flour and 1 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum. I'm very happy so far, as far as muffins go.

best regards, lm

I have several quick bread recipes....would I just be able to substitute the flours? I mean, quick breads don't really rely on gluten do they?

1 is a banana bread

I know they'll be denser, and probably drier...but would I be able just to use, say a mixture of white rice & brown rice flour (I want to stay away from beany type flours).

THANKS!

mamatide Enthusiast

1 is a banana bread

THANKS!

I use a banana bread recipe I found on this site back in May. It's delicious and even better toasted (but you have to be really careful putting it in and taking it out of the toaster so as not to break it). I keep meaning to try it as a muffin. Anyway, here is the link:

Open Original Shared Link

Felidae Enthusiast

I have made banana bread simply by replacing the wheat flour with rice flour and it has turned out great. Now I sometimes add some corn starch to the rice flour, but you don't need to.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I have this GREAT recipe for a cinnamon swirl breakfast bread and it's so good! I'd love to make it, I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and make a loaf - maybe I'll half it and make muffins instead and if THEY work, try the bread. I just don't want to waste the flours b/c they cost so darned much!

:)

ptkds Community Regular

khabe1968~ Could you share your cinnamon swirl bread recipe w/ us?? It sounds really yummy! I LOVE cinnamon rolls, but I haven't been brave enough to make them from scratch yet!

ptkds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

YES! I'll share it! BUT let me try it this week (probably tomrrow or tues) and make sure I can make it yummy for you, okay??? i don't like giving out recipes unless I know for sure they are terrific! (I love to cook and pride myself on it.).

I'll let you know as soon as its on my blog, okay???

Felidae Enthusiast
I just don't want to waste the flours b/c they cost so darned much!

You can buy really inexpensive rice flours and tapioca starches at asian markets or in the asian section of your grocery store.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Cinnamon quick bread turned out AWESOME. My husband (who does not have Celiac at all) said "The h-e-double hockey sticks with wheat!". He loved it. High praise. So yummy half the loaf is gone already!

Okay, going to put the recipe on my blog....click thru my signature! :D

ptkds Community Regular

Thanks for posting!! I can't wait to try it! I may just have to make it today!

ptkds

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

It's almost gone! I'm saving the last piece for hubby when he gets home from work! My kids chowed thru it this morning at snack time. HECK when even KIDS don't notice it's gluten free, it HAS to be good! LOL :D

Archived