This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Do More Whole Grains

taweavmo3

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

We've been doing gluten free for two years...so now I'm taking it a step further and trying to eliminate all processed food, and add more whole grains into our diet. White rice is a big part of our diet...both in the meals I make, and alot of the gluten free mixes that I use. I know it doesn't have any nutritional value, so I'm trying to change that. I've switched to brown rice, but the kids and dh aren't crazy about the texture and taste. I'm sure they'll get used to it like everything else.

SO, I have bags of Millett and Quinoa in the pantry. I have no clue how to exactly cook these. I mean, I can read the package....but are there any recipes ideas?? What do you all do to get whole grains into your daily diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

Experiment with different kinds of rice...plain brown isn't the only choice. You could try rice mixes with brown, white and wild too.

Try buckwheat as well. It makes a nice side dish or cereal. I posted a recipe for buckwheat here:

Open Original Shared Link

And here is a recipe for Baked Millet Kasha from my Ukrainian cookbook:

1 cup millet

3 cups cream or rich milk

1/2 butter

1 tbsp onion, chopped, fried

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar

Wash millet until the water is clear, drain well.

Boil cream, add millet and cook until thickened. Remove from heat, add butter, onion, salt and sugar. Mix. Pour into a casserole dish and bake at 325F for 50-60 minutes.

Michelle

marciab Enthusiast

I followed the directions on the pkg and the grains were always mushy until I started cooking them this way ....

How to cook millet, quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice - BE sure to rinse quinoa

Place 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water in a medium pot, add salt, cover and bring to a boil.

Add 1 cup grain, stir, cover and turn heat down to medium.

Stir every 1 - 2 minutes at this heat. It will stick and burn quickly. Cook for 5 minutes.

Next turn heat down very low and crack the lid open. Stir again. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes stirring once or twice.

Next turn the heat off. Stir thoroughly. Cover. At this point it will look soupy.

Let it stand for until you have time to get back to it. The moisture will be absorbed and it will be perfect ...

I always cook extra grains and freeze them. Glad makes small containers that are the perfect size for this.

For breakfast if you are wanting something sweet, try quinoa or millet with pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds or hemp seeds on it. Add cinamon and honey and chunks of raw apple and flax oil.

I like to add some EVOO to them for flavor.... Enjoy ... Marcia

brendygirl Community Regular

Polenta and lentils are also gluten free.

Lentil soup is really good and polenta can be served with spaghetti sauce.

However, since celiacs don't absorb all the nutrients from our foods, I've read that it's GOOD for us to eat processed gluten-free breads and things because they are fortified with iron and other stuff we're always low on. I make myself eat gluten-free products now, since I got 5 cavities six months after going on the gluten free diet.

hathor Contributor

Check out vegetarian or vegan recipe sites. You will find recipes for more uncommon grains.

I haven't done anything with millet yet. I do like quinoa, though (be sure to rinse -- I've heard there is a coating on it to deter insects, you want to get rid of that). I cook it normally, then add some cooked corn and ground cumin. From that base recipe, I've also thrown in black beans and a little salsa and it's pretty good.

I've seen recipes for cold veggie salads with quinoa too. (Cook it and cool it first). Chop up veggies and add a vinagrette.

I've also heard you can use quinoa or millet as a substitute for bulgur or couscous in recipes.

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Here is a recipe for quinoa cereal. My daughters both love this.

Hot Breakfast Cereal

Bring 2 cups water to a boil, add 1 cup quinoa, reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup thinly sliced apples, 1/3 cup raisins, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and simmer until water is absorbed. Serve with milk or cream and sweeten to taste with honey or brown sugar

Here are some more recipes for quinoa.

QUINOA PILAF

1/2 cup carrot, diced 6 cups quinoa, cooked (basic recipe)

1/2 cup green onion, diced 1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup celery, diced 2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/4 cup green pepper, diced 1 cup almonds, sliced

1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced 1/4 tsp oregano

salt to taste

Saute chopped vegetables in olive oil until clear, yet crisp: stir in oregano. Add sauteed vegetables to cooked, hot quinoa, mixing well. Add salt to taste. Dry-roast almonds in heavy sillet until lightly golden. Add almonds and mix. Serves 6-8.

Quinoa pilaf served as a side dish with fish or chicken is delicious. Vary the pilaf using your favorite vegetables, or by cooking the quinoa in chicken, fish or vegetable stock instead of water.

Quinoa Stir Fry

2 cups quinoa cooked in 4 cups water

2-3 stalks brocolli, chopped

1 cup snow peas

3 spring onions, chopped

3 garlic cloves, chopped

1 Tablespoon grated ginger

2-3 Tablespoons sesame oil

20-24 steamed shrimp

Stir fry veggies in 2-3 Tablespoons sesame oil til tender. Add 1 Tablespoon maple syrup after veggies are done. Add 20-24 steamed shrimp and stir in, if desired. Add soy sauce to taste.

Hope you enjoy!

Amy

Felidae Enthusiast

I know someone already stated this, but make sure you rinse the quinoa well. I've been taking out books from the library, so that I can try them out for free. As was already said, many vegetarian cookbooks have alternative grains recipes, such as quinoa. The Moosewood restaurant has quite a few cookbooks and I just made a quinoa casserole from their Suppers cookbook. It was delicious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived