This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baby Endoscopy Results

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Hi,

The baby had her endoscopy and she is now on the gluten-free diet. How soon did you see a noticeable change in your child

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I can't help you much since my (little) kiddos are not yet in school. But, I do know that playdough is NOT gluten free. My baby (17 months) would SO put playdough in his mouth if given the opportunity. So, that's something I would be concerned about.

My daughter will start kindergarten next year... and I'll be providing her lunches *always* - I don't trust the school at all.

I hope you have others answer your additional questions, so I can get some pointers too!

Oh... and there is a LOT of information, as well as lists to print out, at Open Original Shared Link !! =)

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I have another child who is already in kindergarten with a different food allergy. Here's what I did, maybe you could modify it to fit your child. I am hoping to modify my copy to make it fit celiacs, I just don't know what items to include with celiacs yet. If you'd like I can send you a copy when mine is complete?

First, as always, introduce yourself to the teacher and plan to visit the teacher several times during the first month. It helps make sure there are no questions or problems that you don't know about. Talk to the cafeteria, even if your child will not eat school lunch.

Make stickers to label any food in the class "gluten-free". Provide a bag/box of safe snacks for your child and replenish often.

Make several laminated sheets about what foods, snacks, craft items etc that your child can eat and use. One side should have a small headshot of your child, the health concerns, and symptoms, your contact numbers, emergency steps, etc. My concern is how does a substitute know which child is which and who has an allergy, etc. I know the nurse tells them, but the laminated sheet seems to work well. One sheet stays in the classroom, one in the cafeteria, one in the nurses office (if they want it they have different forms). I was present the first day my child ate school lunch and a cafeteria worker came out to check the teachers sheet because "she remembered seeing her picture and something about an allergy". That comment alone tells me the laminated sheet worked great!

We needed an epi-pen, so the nurse really wanted a small picture she could attach to the epi-pen instead of the big laminated sheet.

I always call the teacher before a party season and talk about the party, what they might eat, what I can bring, etc. I bring the baked goods.

If possible, store safe cup cakes in the school freezer. or get a monthly update about birthday parties.

Hope some of this helps.

janelyb Enthusiast

I have a food list I found online.....

Open Original Shared Link

oh and playdough can be home made out of riceflour....I think some of the crayola products are gluten-free

Open Original Shared Link

go there and scroll down to school supplies

Juliet Newbie

A lot of Crayola products are gluten free and also free of allergens. Here's a quote from the website:

" Question

Due to allergies and allergy concerns, can you tell me the ingredients in your products?

Answer

The exact ingredients of our products are proprietary, however, we are happy to provide you with the 7 most common ingredient requests NOT FOUND in products currently manufactured by Crayola--This does not include products manufactured under license. Please check packaging carefully to determine manufacturing company.

Peanuts

Shellfish

Fish

Tree Nuts

Eggs

Milk

Latex

(Latex gloves are one of the personal protection options requested by and available to our employees for the occasional handling of raw materials and finished goods during the product manufacturing process.)

We are often asked if any of our products contain gluten (wheat flour). Gluten is contained only in Crayola Dough. Other Crayola modeling materials, including Model Magic modeling compound, Modeling Clay, and Air-Dry Clay are gluten free."

I just got the finger paints from them and my 3 year old had a blast painting yesterday. They also have washable sidewalk paint which we'll be trying soon. I'm thinking of checking out the model magic and see if it's close enough in consistency to Play Dough that it can maybe used with the Play Dough toy sets.

Archived