This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help With A Diet

chatycady

chatycady Explorer

Hello; I have not been diagnoised as having celiac, but have started a gluten free diet. My blood tests were negative, but will the "endo" done in a week or two.

My problem is:

Pernicious anemia (B-12)

Hypoglycemia

low blood pressure - blood sugar dives, my blood pressure dives.

Lactose intolerant

and gluten intolerant. (possible celiac patient)

I could use some "new" ideas on what I can eat. I'm tired of bacon and eggs, almonds, and hamburgers and salads. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chaty :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello; I have not been diagnoised as having celiac, but have started a gluten free diet. My blood tests were negative, but will the "endo" done in a week or two.

My problem is:

Pernicious anemia (B-12)

Hypoglycemia

Lactose intolerant

I could use some "new" ideas on what I can eat. I'm tired of bacon and eggs, almonds, and hamburgers and salads. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome. One thing you may want to add is buckwheat, it is gluten free despite the name. You can get it in a cream of wheat type cereal consistency (add some cinnamon and it will do the blood sugar a lot of good), and also in a more whole grain form that is a good sub for bulgar or couscous.

I like to do what I call fast food also, I take some heavy foil and put a number of different veggies in fresh or frozen a few spices and some whole shrimp or cooked leftover meat. Seal it tight and stick in the oven at around 350 and go watch TV for a half hour or so.

I make a trail mix out of gluten-free fruits and nuts that I also keep on hand to help keep the sugar stablized.

Pizza made with the gluten-free Pantries French Bread mix is also a favorite of mine.

I know others will be on with some other good ideas.

It gets easier with time, welcome to the board.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Enchiladas made with ground beef or chicken and refried beans. Fill them, pour enchilada sauce over them (be sure it's gluten-free), sprinkle on some cheese (you can use soy, rice or just leave it off), then bake till warm. Use corn tortillas.

Tinkyada pasta, any way you like. I like the penne with sauteed veggies and italian sausage. Just olive oil and garlic for the sauce.

How about stir-fry over rice?

You shouldn't go gluten-free until after the endoscopy. Your intestine heals on the gluten-free diet, so they won't be able to find damage.

JodiC Apprentice

My problem is:

Pernicious anemia (B-12)

Hypoglycemia

Lactose intolerant

Thanks!

You're not supposed to eliminate gluten until after the biopsy. I suggest doing your own research as these sites can get pretty confusing. Too many different opinions. Good Luck. (you will need it)

bluejeangirl Contributor

Have you've been gluten free yet? Your hypogycemia will probably improve once your off gluten. Helps to eat 6 meals aday. Try to include a protein in that meal and complex carb. Watch out with pototoes, and white rice and eating high sugar fruits. Do you do ok with soymilk? Oatmeal with soymilk and steavia to sweeten is a good first meal. I also add alittle cinnamon because it doesn't raise your blood sugar. It'll keep it even. You'll have to decide if you include oatmeal if your celiac. Some eat it others don't. You can google why using the past board disscussions instructed on the top of the page.

A good second meal..maybe a hard boiled egg or peanutbutter with a gluten free cracker or a slice of millet bread. (if you go gluten free) I also watch what the gluten free bread is made of and stay away from potato starch.

Lunch can be leftover from the night before. Or Salad with turkey breast or chicken breast. Tuna sandwich. Soup made with fiber rich beans or brown rice.

Snacks fruit like apples are good, pears, berries. Nut butters or nuts. Smoked salmon on crackers. Soy yogurt.

Supper try and make more then usual and you have leftovers. I mostly just keep my carbs low.

Before bed. I'll usually have yogurt or a small bowl of cereal and soymilk.

Gail

chatycady Explorer

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas! I appreciate them. Sometimes it's hard to come up with ideas. You all have given me lots of new avenues.

As for the test and gluten free diet, it was my understanding that a couple of weeks wouldn't make that much of a difference. It can take up to 3 years to heal. And now that I'm gluten free (1 week) I CAN'T go back cause I get too sick and I can't work. (Terrible cramps, back ache, heart races, blood sugar dives, blood pressure dives,,, etc. etc.) No matter what I'm not touching gluten ever again!

I want to know however for my family. I have a daughter with unexplained infertility and she has digestive problems and headaches. Doctors don't listen unless a person has a "medical documented condition".

Thank you THank you Thank you.

I've never heard of soy yogurt.... I'll check that out.

chocolatelover Contributor

Why soy yogurt? Is there something about regular yogurt that I don't know about?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

As long as you make them with gluten-free ingredients, you can eat a lot of the same things you did before like pasta, french toast, brownies, and cake. Asianand Mexican recipes offer a lot of gluten-freeness, too. I recently tried my first risotto and it said gluen-free on the box.

dionnek Enthusiast

I like to eat Bob's Red Mill mighty hot tasty cereal (or something like that - it is gluten-free and is made with brown rice and buckwheat I think) and I cook it with craisins or dried appricots and then add cinnamon and applesauce (applesauce instead of milk). It is very good.

Chocolatelover - I think people recommend soy yogurt if yoiu can't tolerate dairy or casein - I eat Yoplait and blue cow (or blue bunny?) yogurt and it is gluten-free.

Mysuicide turtle - if you like chicken sausages (or keilbasa, etc.), I love to cut them up and mix them in the Lundberg's risotto while it cooks to make a complete meal. It is very good with the mushroom risotto!

chatycady Explorer
As long as you make them with gluten-free ingredients, you can eat a lot of the same things you did before like pasta, french toast, brownies, and cake. Asianand Mexican recipes offer a lot of gluten-freeness, too. I recently tried my first risotto and it said gluen-free on the box.

I cut out all the simple carbs because it caused hypoglycemia, but do you think if they are gluten free I could eat them again?

Tritty Rookie

I know how you feel about never touching gluten again. I was gluten free almost 4 whole weeks before my endo (I was losing too much weight too quickly and really dehydrated) - and there was still plenty of damage to be seen...My Dr told me not to bother going back on gluten - she didn't believe in making yourself sick over it - positive dietary response is good enough for her to confirm what the bloodtests already said...

As for food :)

I really like the Thai Kitchen meals for something quick. Also like pork tenderloin with white rice and some sweet and sour sauce and veggies. Or just a good old fashioned steak. YUM!

Tritty Rookie

OHHH

And what about pot roast and beef stew (minus potatos of course).

And salisbury steak and meatloaf.

OK, now I'm officially hungry again...

CarlaB Enthusiast
OHHH

And what about pot roast and beef stew (minus potatos of course).

And salisbury steak and meatloaf.

OK, now I'm officially hungry again...

Potatoes are gluten-free, but some people still can't have them because they're a nightshade.

Be careful that the meatloaf is made with gluten-free bread crumbs!! ;)

chatycady Explorer
Potatoes are gluten-free, but some people still can't have them because they're a nightshade.

Be careful that the meatloaf is made with gluten-free bread crumbs!! ;)

I love meatloaf,, do you have a good recipe with gluten free crackers? Are there such crackers?

Tritty Rookie

I said potatos b/c I thought she was watching out for them b/c of her other issues....

My husband is loving me having celiac - I've been making homemade mashed potatos and meatloaf at least once a week :rolleyes:

I've been doing my trick I learned from Rachel Ray - just toasting a piece of bread (gluten-free of course) until it's REALLY toasted and cutting it into small pieces and just throwing that in.

I'm thinking about emailing her and putting out the suggestion that she pick a day a week to be gluten-free day. On that day she always cooks a new gluten-free 30 min meal....

Tritty Rookie

OOPs - didn't see your post.

I use 1 lb of ground beef

1/2cup milk (you would have to replace)

1 egg

some onion (depends on how much you like)

and one piece of very toasted gluten-free bread chopped up into pieces.

mix it all up - put in the oven at 350 for 1/2 hour. After 1/2 hour add a can of tomato sauce on top (I use Hunt's). Then cook another 1/2 hour. It's just easy and tasty!

Archived