This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Birthday Cake...recipes Please?

kbabe1968

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

My baby is turning 2 in March and we're having a big birthday party. I want to bake a cake that I can eat too...frosting and all. I like vanilla or marble cake best with a good butter cream frosting?

Can someone, or everyone, share their favorites.

(I'd like to make my own, I know I can buy Cherrybrook Kitchen and do that, but it costs so danged gum much...)...

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star
My baby is turning 2 in March and we're having a big birthday party. I want to bake a cake that I can eat too...frosting and all. I like vanilla or marble cake best with a good butter cream frosting?

Can someone, or everyone, share their favorites.

(I'd like to make my own, I know I can buy Cherrybrook Kitchen and do that, but it costs so danged gum much...)...

THANKS!

This is the recipe I use. Don't let the mayo throw you off. It's quite good, very moist and not crumbly at all like traditional gluten free products. Do NOT use low fat or fat free mayo, only full flavor/fat will work. I usually make this as cupcakes, haven't tried it as a cake yet, but the picture on allrecipes.com looks amazing!!! Open Original Shared Link

Gluten Free Yellow Cake by Amy (allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups white rice flour

* 3/4 cup tapioca flour

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 3 teaspoons baking powder

* 1 teaspoon xanthan gum

* 4 eggs

* 1 1/4 cups white sugar

* 2/3 cup mayonnaise

* 1 cup milk

* 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.

2. Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.

3. Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Mayo doesn't throw me....my former life I was an avid gluten baker (hobby not paid). I just don't have a good cake recipe that would adapt well to gluten free ings....this sounds good though. I may bake a half batch and test it out! :D

wacky~jackie Rookie

Hi Kbabe1968,

I have finally been mastering baking some gluten free recipes. The best ones I have found are on www.eatingglutenfree.com . I highly recommend the carrot cake, chocolate cake, and the pumpkin roll. People will never know that it's any different than any other homemade cake. Good luck :P

• 3 weeks later...
kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Okay. Had my folks over for dinner last night and we had the cake.

I baked it in a bundt pan, and I mixed the flours a little more (based on one of the ratings). I'm going to retry, following true to recipe.

Everyone else loved it (hubby, parents, even the 2 year old! Older kids were not as thrilled). I didn't care for it much, the smell was not so good! LOL :D It was denser than I think of when I think birthday cake.

Except for the mixture of flours, I followed to the letter (I did have to bake longer b/c of the pan I used).

suggestions? THANKS!

Guhlia Rising Star

Were you using the mayo cake recipe? What flour blend did you use?

Anonymousgurl Contributor

My 18th birthday is in 5 days and I want to have a cake too :(

But I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a gluten AND dairy free cake?

Happy birthday to your 2 year old :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Gulia - yeah, I did.

Like I said, everyone else liked it....so that's good.

I think because it was in the bundt pan it cooked a lot longer than it should have. I'm DEFINITELY going to try it again...but bake it in a 9" pan instead and see what happens. It was very dense and dry on the outside.

I also used on eof the blend substitutions from online rating - I think it was sorghum, white rice, brown rice for the flour blend, then all the rest of the starches. I think I'll try the straight recipe the next time and just use the white rice flour like she said - I'm sure that the sorghum effected the flavor.

:)

Guhlia Rising Star
Gulia - yeah, I did.

Like I said, everyone else liked it....so that's good.

I think because it was in the bundt pan it cooked a lot longer than it should have. I'm DEFINITELY going to try it again...but bake it in a 9" pan instead and see what happens. It was very dense and dry on the outside.

I also used on eof the blend substitutions from online rating - I think it was sorghum, white rice, brown rice for the flour blend, then all the rest of the starches. I think I'll try the straight recipe the next time and just use the white rice flour like she said - I'm sure that the sorghum effected the flavor.

:)

Yeah, sorghum definitely has a funky flavor. I'd sooner think though that it was more because of the bundt pan... I'm glad everyone else enjoyed it. I've also found that I have to add more sugar than the recipe calls for to make it to my liking. It really is a great base recipe though. I think next time I'm going to try adding cocoa powder and extra sugar to see how that goes. My daughter would love to have chocolate cupcakes, I'm sure. I've only ever made the recipe as cupcakes, so I don't know how it will turn out as an actual cake. This is definitely our favorite recipe so far though. It's so moist and it keeps relatively well too compared to most other gluten free goodies. Let us know how it turns out next time.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast
Yeah, sorghum definitely has a funky flavor. I'd sooner think though that it was more because of the bundt pan... I'm glad everyone else enjoyed it. I've also found that I have to add more sugar than the recipe calls for to make it to my liking. It really is a great base recipe though. I think next time I'm going to try adding cocoa powder and extra sugar to see how that goes. My daughter would love to have chocolate cupcakes, I'm sure. I've only ever made the recipe as cupcakes, so I don't know how it will turn out as an actual cake. This is definitely our favorite recipe so far though. It's so moist and it keeps relatively well too compared to most other gluten free goodies. Let us know how it turns out next time.

I would tend to agree with what you said. I had wanted to make it as cupcakes, but I was trying out one of those new silicone flexible pans. I also think the funky smell from the cake is from the pan. Also on the sugar, I'm going to increase the sugar AND the vanilla next time too...I happen to like the oversweet, overflavored box cakes! LOL :D

I am going to half it and try it later in the week as a 9" cake....just to see how it turns out.

If you read all the ratings there are a bunch of adjustments folks made. Adding cocoa, adding jello powder to flavor the cake, etc. I wonder how it would be if you added french vanilla pudding mix? Not sure what you'd cut out to make it work. But I remember the Amish Friendhip Bread always used the "starter" and then mixed in pudding and eggs to it an it was always soooooo yummmy....

Hmmmmm....

Guhlia Rising Star

Ooohhh... Perhaps you could use the pudding instead of the mayo??? Or maybe do half pudding half mayo??? That would cut down on the fat content I imagine and it would probably be really good if it turned out. You could also try subbing the instant pudding powder for some of the sugar. Let me know if you try it! If I weren't stuck making 3 dozen cupcakes today for my daughter's birthday party this afternoon, I'd try it myself. Sounds really yummy!

I've cut the recipe down to make only 6 cupcakes... Here are the measurements if you want to experiment.

1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white rice flour

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xantham gum

1 egg

1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon white sugar

2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons mayo

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

DebbieInCanada Rookie
...But I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a gluten AND dairy free cake? ...

Sponge cake

6 egg whites (room temperature)

1/8 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

6 egg yolks

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp lemon rind

1 c gluten-free flour blend

Beat eggs whites and salt until stiff peaks form.

Beat egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon rind. gradually add sugar, and beat for 4 minutes, until light colored and thick.

Gently stir in flour. Fold in beaten whites.

Pour into ungreased tube pan, bake in 325 preheated oven for 55-60 minutes. test with wooden pick.

This recipe always works very well for me, and is a standard family birthday cake. I use 1/3 c. soy flour, 1/3 c rice flour, and 1/3 c tapioca starch for my flour blend. I notice the soy taste/smell in the raw batter, but never in the baked product.

Hope you enjoy. :)

Debbie

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Are eggs not considered dairy?

Guhlia Rising Star
Are eggs not considered dairy?

I don't think so... Eggs come from a chicken...

EG+FC Apprentice

tomorrow is my birthday and i made myself a cake. This was my first time making a cake and OMG!!!! It is sooooo good, It's unbelievable. I got the recipe for Pamela's website. It's the Banana cake but instead of using the lemon butter cream I used a mascapone cheese frosting that is soooo good. i can't wait to have a BIG piece of cake tomorrow. I recommend this recipe to anybody who wants to make a cake. It is so moist and delicious. :D

I have trouble with eggs too :( Ugh. It looks like im not going to have a cake for my 18th birthday :( Oh well, I suppose there are worse things in life. LoL!!

But if anyone knows of any gluten free, dairy free cakes that I could use egg replacer in...I'd love you forever. LoL.

EG+FC Apprentice
I have trouble with eggs too :( Ugh. It looks like im not going to have a cake for my 18th birthday :( Oh well, I suppose there are worse things in life. LoL!!

But if anyone knows of any gluten free, dairy free cakes that I could use egg replacer in...I'd love you forever. LoL.

Check out www.gluten free.com, it's the website for gluten-free pantry. You can definitely find a gluten, diary , and egg free cake. Good luck

DebbieInCanada Rookie
I have trouble with eggs too :( Ugh. ...

Sorry - didn't realize you needed egg-free also. The recipe I posted certainly won't do! :o

Unfortunately, I'm sure the only recipe I have that is dairy and egg free is for pie crust :blink: . I hope the gluten-free pantry has something for you.

Debbie

AmyTopolski Apprentice

This is a dairy, gluten and egg free cake recipe I just made last week. Everyone likes it! It's very moist and did not dry out the next day. If you don't want to use the coffee water will work as well.

I did this as cup cakes and not in the bundt pan. I think cup cakes cook better.

Amy

Eggless Chocolate Cake

1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup baking cocoa, divided

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cups cold brewed coffee

1/3 cup canola oil

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 teaspoon shortening

1. Coat a 10-inch fluted tube pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with 1 tablespoon cocoa; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and remaining cocoa.

2. In another bowl, combine the coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake at 350

Amy and Debbie...both of you, thank you so much for taking the time out to try and help me :)

Debbie...that is AMAZING! I should do a trial run and test it out before my birthday party! Do you happen to know if it would work if I substituted the oil for applesauce? I do this often, but i know that some recipes reccomend that you don't...

you guys are great :)

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

DUH! Good job Kbabe! LOL :D Laughing at myself. I guess those I know who have a dairy allergy cannot eat eggs also and that was how I was connecting it! HOW FUNNY!!!

LOL :D

Archived