This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overwhelmed With Gluten Free Food & Prices

Disney323

Disney323 Apprentice

DS was diagnosed the other day w/Celiac and I went to my local store and was so overwhelmed with the expensive prices for gluen free foods and the different brands. Is there a website that would be cheaper than Whole Foods? What are your favorite brands? TIA!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You know, a lot of those officially gluten-free foods are not very good for you, they are way too high in carbohydrates and sugar. I'd suggest to use those for occasional treats only.

It is much healthier, and cheaper, to stick mostly with naturally gluten-free foods, like meat, vegetables, nuts and fruit.

Also, if you buy gluten-free flour (or mix your own out of things like buckwheat flour, ground hazelnuts and almonds, tapioca starch, bean flour etc.) and bake your own cookies and cake, you'll save money, and know what is in those.

Baking your own bread is a good idea, too, because it will be cheaper, healthier and tastier.

Others that aren't intolerant to all of those things (like I am) will be able to give you better advice on where to buy things to save money, I'm sure.

Juliet Newbie

It is more expensive to be gluten free, but part of the reason why is because at first you want to find lots of gluten free (gluten-free) replacements for the gluten filled diet rather than going for naturally gluten free items. Once you start to adjust, the costs will start to go down because you'll find that balance of gluten-free replacements versus naturally gluten-free items that works best for you.

For example, instead of using bread nearly everyday for sandwiches, maybe try wraps with corn tortillas. You can get a bag of 30 or more for less than $2 at the grocery store. We also make sandwiches from Real Foods Corn Thins - they taste like popcorn, are about 4" in diameter, and for a bag of 26 it's normally less than $2 at Whole Foods. Save the bread then for those days when you're just craving a regular sandwich. You can make your own bread (for a mix, we like Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread) and freeze it so that it lasts longer.

Use rice more instead of gluten-free pasta. You can even use a fancier rice like Arborio and make risotto. Or stir fry some vegetables & chicken, add a little pesto, and mix it with some cooked starchy rice like Arborio. We do something akin to this as a replacement for pasta. When we cook the rice, too, we add a little gluten free vegetable or chicken base (like "Better Than Bouillion") and it's really tasty - we honestly don't miss the pasta. And a large box of Arborio rice is around $2.50 at Trader Joe's, and you can order it from amazon .com I believe, too. And that box lasts longer than a bag of dried pasta.

I'll also make larger dinners and have the leftovers for lunch the next day.

You can also make a quick, relatively inexpensive meal by microwaving a russet potato and a little broccoli, add a little cheese and maybe a little gluten-free margarine and you're done. We also make quesadillas with corn tortillas and eat it with some fresh salsa (or sometimes Pace Picante Sauce :) ) and Rosarita refried beans. We don't normally bother with the gluten-free flour tortillas - expensive and it's not the best replacement for regular flour tortillas. Although one person recommended them for making quick pizzas - take two of them and place a little cheese to hold them together, add sauce & toppings on the top one, then bake at around 350

Guest cassidy

The only gluten-free thing I really eat is Tinkyada pasta. It is the best pasta by far. For bread I really only like whole food's brand Gluten free Bakehouse but I buy a loaf and it lasts me for months. Bell & Evans chicken tenders are good - they have a gluten-free and a gluten version so please check the label. They are expensive but they are a treat every once in a while.

I agree with what everyone else said about it being healthier and cheaper to eat naturally gluten-free. If you want kid food like corn tortilla chips and fruit roll-ups, my grocery store has those thing gluten-free in their store brand. Many things like condiments are have a brand (possibly a store brand) that is gluten-free, it just takes some digging to figure it all out.

Especially in the beginning, his body needs to heal and he may do better on a diet that is back to basics - meat, veggies, fruits, rice.

It is overwhelming in the beginning but there is plenty for us to eat and you can find most of it at the grocery store.

ptkds Community Regular

I feel the same way as you, especially at first. It is very overwhelming. Especially if your entire family is going gluten-free at home (like mine did). Here are some tips I learned:

Make your own bread. I invested in a good Kitchen aid mixer for bread and pizza dough.

Buy some of Bette Hagman's cookbooks. They are wonderful and I haven't had a recipe fail yet!

Remember that there are alot of gluten-free cereals out there that you don't have to buy special, such as: Cocoa pebbles, Fruity pebbles, Trix, GM's little einsteins, Kaboom, and Dora cereal. There are others, too but I can't think of them right now. I have bought the special cereals, but they are still sitting on top of my fridge. I am scared to use them cuz they cost so much! And my kids like the others that are cheaper!

When I go shopping, this is an example of what I get:

Eggs

MIlk

Cheese

butter

cereal

Yogo's ( my toddler LOVES these!)

peanut buttter

rice

fresh, canned and frozen fruits and veggies

meat (ground beef, chicken, sausage, etc)

OreIda country style hashbrowns

and a few more things.

When my dd's are craving cookies, I use the easiest recipe that I have ever found that uses no special ingredients: 2 c Peanut butter, 2 c sugar, 4 eggs, and a handful of mini chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for around 10 minutes. These taste wonderful and require no special ingredients.

Go to http://www.barryfarms.com. They sell some great gluten-free items that are hard to find, and they are at a great price. I get xanthan gum for REALLY cheap. I found them on Ebay, not by some internet search for gluten-free foods. They aren't marketed like that.

One of our favorite (and fast) meals is scrambled eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns. Tastes great, no special ingredients, and fast!

Remember that all walmart brands label (food items only) things as being gluten free if they are. This has been very helpful for me.

If you need any more suggestions, just let me know. You can send me a private message through the profile page.

ptkds

Nikki2003 Contributor

My girls love the tinyaka (sorry about the butchered spelling) also known as pasta joy and they are not pasta eaters. But they love it especially the spirals.

Celina

Tritty Rookie

Eating Gluten Free is also tax deductible! YOu can either claim it through your cafeteria plan or you can deduct the cost of gluten-free products that are in excess of the cost of what you are replacing. Or anything you wouldn't usually need (like Xanthan Gum) can be deducted in full. You can also chart mileage to the health food store - or delivery expenses in full. Wild Oats gave me a little print out on it....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

janelyb Enthusiast

Whole foods is whole paycheck...LOL...it's is so easy to spend way too much there. Some of the regular grocery chains are also starting to carry some labeled gluten free stuff. Here is a site which I have found very helpful when making meals and I didn't feel like I had to break the bank

www.gfcfrecipes.com

I tried several times to make bread and each time it tastes terrible so bread and pasta are two things I buy gluten free pre packaged. Do you have any other natural food stores, sometimes the smaller stores carry gluten-free items at a little cheaper than Whole Foods.

abigail Apprentice

you always can use Walmart, their Great value Brand its almost always well labeled as GLUTEN FREE, when its gluten free, Also send a email to your regular supermarkets asking them a list of their own gluten free product. (I asked one from publix, and albertsons) I you find out that there is lot of REGULAR things that you can buy at REGULAR prices!!

good luck!

Abi

galaxygal Newbie
DS was diagnosed the other day w/Celiac and I went to my local store and was so overwhelmed with the expensive prices for gluen free foods and the different brands. Is there a website that would be cheaper than Whole Foods? What are your favorite brands? TIA!!

Hi Tia, I know what you mean-the prices are outrageous. My husband went gluten free about 6 months ago and we have had out boys tested and are waiting on the results. I have spent countless hours online researching products, etc. After looking at the prices of specialty products I decided to look for regular recipes that happen to be gluten free. I am new to this website so I am not sure how to email you directly so if you can email me with your email address I will send you my recipes that use regular shelf products. Also, I found some gluten free cereals on the regular cereal isle that is much cheaper than the ones in the specialty section. I will also share this info with you. We are pretty sure that our youngest son has celiac disease but are waiting for test results.

Janet

powderprincess Rookie

Good advice has already been delivered. I will just chime in and say everyone is right. I enjoy the Tinkyada pasta; it's awesome & I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

With just beans and rice, one can make a lot of cheap good eats. You've got Mexican, southwestern, Indian, and who knows what else depending on the spices you add.

Disney323 Apprentice

Thank you all so much for this great information! I haven't purchased anyhing yet because we want to wait until the consult w/his pediatric GI on 3/5.

Thanks!

singingserena Newbie

ok...its so not fair....prices for gluten free stuff are waaaaaaay overpriced. In Canada, I have read about a tax return but it is so confusing that even an expert accountant couldnt deal with all the paper work..and who has time for that. Like why make crappy tasting frozen bread filled with cheap methylcellulse and sell it for 5 times the price of reg bread thats sold FRESH in the bakery....i demand justice! :angry:

happygirl Collaborator

We eat pretty normal.....let me give you an example of meals from the past few days:

(Today---all naturally gluten free)

Dinner:

Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster with seasonings, brocoli

Using the broth and extra chicken, with a bag of frozen veggies, to make easy easy homemade soup :).

Lunch:

Lunchmeat with cheese and mayo, rolled up. Soda. Chips. Piece of fruit.

Tomorrow's dinner:

Giant Tinkyada shells with ricotta cheese, mozzeralla cheese, sauce (essentially lasagna but using shells). Only thing that was a specialty product is the Tinkyada.

Sunday dinner:

Tacos....corn tortillas, ground beef, onions, McCormick's taco seasoning, sour cream, salsa, lettuce/tomatoes/cheese/olives.

Lunch: baked potato with sour cream, cheese, butter.... and a salad with Ken's salad dressing.

Occasionally I will make some gluten free breads (banana bread is my favorite) and make a big batch, and freeze them.

Luckily, there are lots of ways to eat more "normally" on this diet. It is possible---I promise! We are living proof!

PLUS (and this is the biggest one for us)---think of all the money that is not spent on eating out, picking up a bite to eat, grabbing a bite on the run, getting a donut, etc. I don't buy chips ahoy by the truckload anymore....and my Oreo bill was immediately cut to 0. :)

NoGluGirl Contributor
Eating Gluten Free is also tax deductible! YOu can either claim it through your cafeteria plan or you can deduct the cost of gluten-free products that are in excess of the cost of what you are replacing. Or anything you wouldn't usually need (like Xanthan Gum) can be deducted in full. You can also chart mileage to the health food store - or delivery expenses in full. Wild Oats gave me a little print out on it....

Dear Tritty,

Really, it is tax deductible? How do you do this? My parents are having a hard time financially with this. Due to my other health issues that still need worked out, it would be good to know.

I have not been able to work a regular job. I have been trying to start a company, but was recently defrauded. Digiworld Technologies has cost me everything I had. I would really appreciate it if you got back to me.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Cheri A Contributor

((HUGS)) I will echo what the others have said. When dd first went gluten-free, I spent about $100/mo just on things for her at the local health food store. She has a lot of other food allergies, so out of necessity I had to find recipes to make things from scratch. Now, I make a ton of things and stock my freezer with chicken nuggets, pizza crust and chicken stock. I now spend about $50/mo on her special things and everything else comes from the regular grocery store.

These are the splurges that I buy now: sorghum flour, potato starch, Vance's Dari-Free, Glutino pretzels, Kinnicknick K-Too cookies, Spectrum shortening, Tinkyada pasta.

I buy the tapioca starch from the grocery store at .59/bag and she eats lots of fruits, veggies and meats.

Let us know if you want some recipes!

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Disney323,

I know exactly how you feel. My parents have a lot of expenses, and when I went gluten free about six months ago, it was scary. We barely had money for food as it is. Really, it is not just gluten free food, but food in general that is expensive. To help you out, since I cannot afford to buy Glutino bars or Gluten free bread more than once in a very great while, here are some money saving tips for you:

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

I hope this helps a bit!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

confused Community Regular
Dear Disney323,

I know exactly how you feel. My parents have a lot of expenses, and when I went gluten free about six months ago, it was scary. We barely had money for food as it is. Really, it is not just gluten free food, but food in general that is expensive. To help you out, since I cannot afford to buy Glutino bars or Gluten free bread more than once in a very great while, here are some money saving tips for you:

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

I hope this helps a bit!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

thank you for listing all that stuff, im going to print it off and put it on my fridge, i need to see things in front of me to remember, and its easy to have such an big list. It seems everytime my hubby ask do i want this or that i have to run here and look it up, and the good thing most of the stuff u listed i love and we use a lot of

paula

Tritty Rookie
Dear Tritty,

Really, it is tax deductible? How do you do this? My parents are having a hard time financially with this. Due to my other health issues that still need worked out, it would be good to know.

I have not been able to work a regular job. I have been trying to start a company, but was recently defrauded. Digiworld Technologies has cost me everything I had. I would really appreciate it if you got back to me.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I'm sorry to hear about your job. Hopefully this will help :)

This is exactly what the paper says that I got from Wild Oats. I haven't tried it yet - since I just found out in January...

Tax Deduction for Gluten-Free Foods as Medical Expense\

1. You may deduct the cost of Gluten-Free (gluten-free) products that are in EXCESS of the cost of the gluten-containing product that you are replacing.

2. The full cost of special items needed for gluten-free diet may be deducted. An example is the cost of Xanthan Gum (methyl cellulose) used in gluten-free homebaked items, which is completely different than any ingredient used in an oridinary recipe.

3. If you make a special trip to a specialty store to purchase gluten-free foods, the actual cost of your transportation to and from the store is deductible. If you are using your vehicle for the trip, you may deduct $.10 per mile each way.

4. The full cost of postage and/or other delivery expenses on gluten-free purcheases made by mail order are deductible.

If you are audited, you will need a letter from your doctor indicating that you have celiac disease and must adhere to a gluten-free diet for life. You will also need substantiation in the form of receipts, cash register tapes, or canceled checks for your gluten-free purchases. And a schedule showing how you computed your deductions for the gluten-free foods. Keep a worksheet to track your gluten-free purchases. The amount of medical expense you my deduct is the sum of items 1-4 above.

The total amount of your deduction for gluten-free foods should be added to your other medical expenses, reported on line 1 of Schedule A of your form 1040. Do not include your doctor's letter, your receipts, or your schedule showing how you computed your deduction for gluten-free foods. Save these documents, which should only be submitted if you are audited by the IRS or your state's taxing authority.

If you are audited and the auditor tell syou that these items are not deductible, refer the auditor to:

*Revenue Ruling 55-261

*Cohen 38 TC 387

*Revenue Ruling 76-80

*67TC 481

*Fleming TC MEMO 1980 583

*Van Kaib TC MEMO 1978 366

When talking to my local support group here, I also found out that you can submit it like you would a prescription to your cafeteria plan and they'll reimburse you. That's a lot easier - so I think I'm going to go that way...

Good luck!

Tash-n-tail Rookie

Oh I wish we could do this in Britain!

Was told last year by the NHS Consultant I spoke to, that her Aunt used to get a prescription for her bread once a month, only to be told several weeks later that the system had been discontinued. :huh:

Currently I eliminate an enormous amount of things and consume only the trusted and reliable items. Can't wait to start experimenting with Bette Hagman's recipes (A friend bought me the series for 'Xmas!) but I make buckwheat pancakes or flapjacks as a substitute for breads and cookies on a regular basis. Can be a bit tricky since buckwheat absorbs a fair bit of oils/butter/flavourings and likes to burn if too much sugar is added. But it's a blessing -- I cannot tolerate any other grain besides Thai rice.

Because of this I shall be investing in two serious purchases -- a bread maker and a flour mill. Hopefully I can lighten the mix with grinding my own rice flour and control WHAT sort of rice it is going into the flour mix.

I have found that the food bill is only slightly more expensive now and I don't really get the volume but I've cut back on the red meats for fish, bumped up the fruits and veggies such as I can eat, include the nuts that I tolerate and eliminated everything else.

Oh quit smoking too which saved vast sums of money and cut down on the severity of my sensitivities.

Good luck!

Marcus

I'm sorry to hear about your job. Hopefully this will help :)

This is exactly what the paper says that I got from Wild Oats. I haven't tried it yet - since I just found out in January...

Tax Deduction for Gluten-Free Foods as Medical Expense\

NoGluGirl Contributor
thank you for listing all that stuff, im going to print it off and put it on my fridge, i need to see things in front of me to remember, and its easy to have such an big list. It seems everytime my hubby ask do i want this or that i have to run here and look it up, and the good thing most of the stuff u listed i love and we use a lot of

paula

Dear Disney323 and confused,

You guys are so welcome! To save even more time, make sure you organize your list by department in the store. That way, you do not spend an eternity looking for everything! We have enough to worry about being on this diet with this illness, so we can use all the help we can get in making it easier! Here are some other things I forgot to mention in my last post:

Holland House Cooking Sherry (At Wal-Mart) is labeled gluten-free and is found near the vinegars (My Chinese marinade is equal parts sherry with soy sauce) I was ecstatic about this. I was so worried I could never have it again!

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Arizona Teas

All Folgers Coffees including Instant

Sam's Club Routisserie Chickens (reported recently by a member) (They use Lawry's marinades I believe)

Hormel Vienna Sausages

Hormel regular Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam

Jell-O and Hunt's Pudding Snack Packs (Label will not hide gluten and will always list it if present)

Durkee Ground Cayenne Pepper

Kraft Minute Rice

Thai Kitchen Original Pad Thai (many others as well, will be labeled gluten-free)

V-8 Vegetable Juice

Hormel Beef Au Jus

Hormel Pork Au Jus

Pork Chops

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (patties, rolls, or links)

Plumrose bacon

Hormel Chili

Idahoan Instand Mashed Potatoes

Velveeta Cheese

More money saving tips :

1. Buy cosmetics at the drugstores. My favorite is CVS. They are less expensive, and if it does not suit you, it can be returned for a refund! That way, you do not lose money you could need for food.

2. Get a CVS extra-care card. You get discounts and can use it to build money for college!

3. The oriental markets are a great place to get sweet rice flour (it can be as little as $1 per bag) for making cakes, cookies, pie crusts, and more.

4. Only buy what you absolutely have to at the health food store. Usually, only the things I cannot make myself (like gluten-free, yeast free bread) or rice crackers are what I purchase there. Glutino bars are wonderful when you can afford them, but they are about $7 for a box of 5. They are also very low in fat, which is good. I included low-fat items on the list because I have to stick to a lower fat diet due to having my gallbladder removed back in 2003.

5. Getting some items at odd places. Sometimes certain food items are cheaper at the gas station or the drug store. Wal-Greens and CVS both have some excellent deals on junk food sometimes. Healthier foods can be as well. You can get 2 cans of Geisha brand crabmeat or shrimp for $3, when at the regular grocery store you would pay $3.50 for a single can of crabmeat!

Also, a reminder for Disney323,

As a parent, it is easy to accidentally gluten your child. You must keep in mind all things! This includes your cosmetics, lotions, your child's hair products, cleaners, and anything else that could have gluten. This is overwhelming for anyone, and we all will help you. Many members have lists of toiletries on here and other necessary items that are safe. You have to think about everything from the mouthwash to the toothpaste, to her Play-Doh. Glue is something else to be careful of. Play-Doh is NOT gluten-free by the way. Cookware may need replaced as well as storage containers. Ziploc and Glad make some really inexpensive ones. Plastic baggies are good, too. Here is a basic list of some items you could use:

Cleaners :

Clorox Bleach

Simple Green (all)

Dawn dishwashing liquid

Cascade

Murphy's Oil Soap

Wisk

All

Soaps:

All Colgate toothpastes

Crest Whitening Sensations-all

Soft Soap

Dove Soap

Spray'n Wash Stain Remover

*note: be careful of dryer sheets. They can contain gluten as well. Calling manufacturers is the best bet if you are unsure. We are currently using All. Unilever makes them, and they are good about labeling.

Cosmetics:

CoverGirl is good to label their stuff. If it is not in the label ingredients, then you are safe!

Wet'n Wild- All except for one of the mascaras is safe!

Revlon LipGlides are safe. In my pic, I am wearing Sparkling Sangria!

Johnson & Johnson baby oil

Olay Quench Lotion

Products to Avoid:

Jergens lotions

Hair Sprays until you know they are safe. Call the manufacturer if you are unsure of the ingredients.

Perfumes

Anything with alcohol-it can be derived from a source of gluten

Shampoos and Conditioners (A number of these items have wheat protein in them because it thickens the hair shaft.)

I hope this list helps.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. Some terrific gluten free cake mix that is reasonably priced is from The Chocolate Emporium. Go to their Web site at www.choclat.com and check them out! They do have a minimum of $15 per order, but the cake mix is only about $3.29 a box. It also would be a good place in case your child ends up with multiple intolerances because they also have soy, casein, egg, and nut free chocolate and candies for reasonable prices.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Tritty,

Thank you so much for the info! I will save it for my Dad. He could save some money on his taxes next year! He will be thrilled! I copied and pasted it into Word so I could send the info to him.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Disney323 Apprentice

THANK YOU so much Noglugirl for the lists! I am definitley going to print those out.....

and to everyone else who responded......you are all making me feel like I can handle this! My little boy is only 16 months so I have hope that he'll be used to these foods and not realize what he's missing.

Thank You again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Andrea

cybermommy Newbie
THANK YOU so much Noglugirl for the lists! I am definitley going to print those out.....

and to everyone else who responded......you are all making me feel like I can handle this! My little boy is only 16 months so I have hope that he'll be used to these foods and not realize what he's missing.

Thank You again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Andrea

I second the thanks on the list.

I take care of a 22 month old, who was diagnosed about a year ago. I have recently discovered that I also have celiac disease.

Here are a few of the items we use:

Gerber Graduate Wagon Wheels

Gerber Graduate & Parent's Choice dryed fruits & veggies

I also buy products made by "Just Tomatoes"-these are mostly single ingredient freeze dried fruits & veggies (much more variety) they also have soynuts. I buy them at Central Market but here is company info so you can find how to get them in your area. (209) 894-5371, Box 807, Westley, CA 95387 Our favorites are the Just Peas & Just Blackberries. They are good to snack on like popcorn or to add to salads (Crunchies) They are great for toddlers & easy to carry w/ you. We always have in diaper bag(Church nursery knows not to give her anything that doesn't come from her bag & they clean up immediately after snacks to be sure no stray gluten containing crumbs for her to get)

Mission corn tortillas

Great Value Spaghetti Sause (have not checked all but clearly labeled)

Great Value Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)

Great Value Honey Ham Lunch meat

(I use the above 4 ingredients in a brand new, never used on gluten products, sandwich press)

(You can do the same thing substituting pace picante sauce for spaghetti sauce & add avacado & a touch of salt)

(try penut butter & banana)

Making sandwiches in the press also helps some of those cardboard like gluten-free breads with texture & taste.

Jet Puff & Great Value Marshmallows

Fritos (all flavors)

Lay's Li'mon potato chips

Welch's fruit snack & dehydrated fruits

I use Tinkinyada pasta & or spaghetti squash (the pasta taste better to me but spagetti squash is good stretcher & I can grow in garden.

Most toddlers, kids & yes us adults like to dip. ;) Try celery, carrot & zucchini or yellow squash sticks for dippers & peanut butter or cheese dip to dip in. If your child is to young to actually eat the veggie sticks it is a great teether & they still get some vitamins from it as well as aquiring a taste for it. Remember that your kids want to eat what you eat. You are more likely to succeed in this if you model the eating habits. It took Lyndsee about 2 days after I went gluten-free to realize she can eat anything I can. Now every time I get something to eat she is like baby bird w/ mouth open :lol: . She is eating a lot better.

Good Luck,

Deb

cybermommy Newbie

Oh yeah btw we also use Bar-S Franks made with chicken, pork & beef.

They are dirt cheap :) & toddler friendly.

:D ,

Deb

Archived