This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Struggling

ElizabethN

ElizabethN Apprentice

I just went for my 13 week appointment and I have lost another 5 pounds. I am really having trouble finding things to eat- I am the primary cook in the family and when I am too tired/sick to cook there seem to be very few options. I feel hungry, I just can't find things that are appealing. And what sounds appealing in the morning sounds disgusting once lunchtime rolls around. Once I start feeling nauseated I stick to popsicles and applesauce and just keep getting skinnier. I thought it would be better by now, but the past few days have been especially terrible. My doctor refered me to a nutritionist so I will try and make an appointment monday but I just can't help but think they won't be very helpful. I am just exhausted from not getting good nutrition and being sick all the time.

And it makes me feel worse when I read other pregnancy boards and the women are whining about how rough it is that all they can eat is crackers and chicken noodle soup, pasta, etc. I would kill for some club crackers right now.

If anyone can share what they ate to help them gain weight I would really appreciate it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I had the same problem in the beginning of my pregnancy. It went away around 14 weeks I think. I didn't lose as much weight as you did though I don't think.

I ate applesauce mostly. That was one of the few things that wouldn't make me gag. For dinner I was able to choke down baked chicken and green vegetables. Try eating very small portions every hour or so. Good things to try snacking on are carrot sticks, cold cooked chicken, fruits (apples made it down okay for me as did canteloupe), celery with peanut butter, plain pasta or with a little olive oil, Schar crackers, etc... I had a really hard time eating the first trimester. Side salad from McDonalds also tasted really good to me with ranch dressing. I know eating out is risky, but their salads are sooooo good.

I hope you figure things out soon. It's rough when you're losing weight and can't eat. I feel for ya.

AndreaB Contributor

Elizabeth,

I wasn't on a gluten free diet during my pregnancies so I can't be of much help.

Have you tried Tinkyada pasta?

I found myself craving more protein my last pregnancy.

Some people have morning sickness for longer in their pregnancy. Can you stomach peanut butter or other nut butters? What about gluten-free bread? Perky o's have added vitamins if you can handle snacking on them.

I do know of someone who used some kind of thing on her wrists that had a pressure point on them. They helped her with her nausea so she could eat. Maybe someone else knows what they are called. I think they may be used for motion sickness or something like that (not sure though).

Guest cassidy

I could drink better than I could eat in the beginning. I drank kefir which has tons of protein and carbs so it is a pretty balanced thing to eat. I also drink Boost, I still have both of those everyday even though I can now tolerate normal food. Maybe milk shakes or smoothies with some protein powder would work.

The only other thing I can suggest is trying your best to force yourself to eat for the sake of your baby. I know it is tough and I had morning sickness until 18 weeks and I still can't smell vinegar and some other things now at 32 weeks, but the baby needs food. Whenever I am sick of eating I try to choke something down for him.

Good luck & I hope it gets easier.

PS - I also cried a few times because I wanted Papa John's pizza. I can't have tomatoes either so I really can't make any type of food that resembles pizza and sometimes I wanted it so bad that I had a big feel sorry for myself cry. Just wanted to let you know that I'm human as well and I realize how challenging being gluten-free and pregnant can be!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I don't have anything to recommend, really, but wanted to tell you that with one of my pregnancies I didn't gain one pound by the time I was six months along! I looked so funny ... my arms and legs were very skinny and then I had this huge midsection! Eventually I gained 25 pounds with that one ... she weighed 8 pounds 11 oz. so obviously it didn't hurt her any!!

I ate whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like eating. If I would eat ice cream, then hubby would go buy me ice cream no matter what time of day or night.

Don't get too worried, the nausea should clear up in a few weeks. Be sure you're hydrated. One time I was pregnant I was really sick for months and realized I was dehydrated. I started drinking a lot of water and didn't feel like any of it was being absorbed. I got on the internet and studied dehydration -- then I started putting 1 tsp. salt and 7 tsp. sugar in a quart of water. It really helped me absorb it better and I felt better from that point on.

ElizabethN Apprentice

Thank you for your suggestions- I went out and bought some Boost and a ton of Gatorade. I think I may have been dehydrated but I am finding Gatorade a lot easier to drink than water and it seems to be helping. I am getting to the point where the nausea is better, but I am still not putting on any weight- even though I am hungry I have to force myself to eat. I am craving things I can't have!!! I have an appointment with a dietician next week so hopefully she will be able to help get me on track and eating right for the rest of the pregnancy.

Carla- it is comforting to hear that you had a healthy pregnancy without gaining much weight at first!!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla- it is comforting to hear that you had a healthy pregnancy without gaining much weight at first!!

This should make you feel even more comfortable. The reason I was not gaining weight, and at times even lost, was that I had a bad case of bronchitis. Once that was over and I started gaining, I got a really bad flu (not the stomach one) and lost it all again. It definately wasn't a healthy pregnancy, but the baby was!!

You'll get feeling better soon. It's tough feeling nauseous all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Those bands with the pressure points are called Sea Bands, and are the only thing that works for me for motion sickness. I have heard that they do work for severe morning sickness as well. They cost anywhere from $15.00 to $20.00 (a ripoff, but still worth it because they work), and you get them in the pharmacy. Just ask the pharmacist, he/she will know exactly what you are talking about.

marlykarly Rookie

sorry to hear about the difficult trimester..

With my #3.. I was so sick I had to take meds..BUT.. I found eating protien helped..

I ate lots of meat..eggs and cheese

any time of the day or night.. It was one of the few things that woudl stay down.. and I noticed that when i was hungry.. I was also more nauseated.

sometimes.. salty potato chips and lemonade were a perfect fix for the morning sickness too. I think for me it was the salt and sour combo.

Try to eat small amounts all day.. it might be better than waiting for that one meal..

Hope you are feeling better soon..

Annaem Enthusiast

I found that apples, bananas and strangely enough potato chips took care of my nausea. The longer my stomach was empty more nauseated i felt so i nibbled throughout the day. This seemed to help. Eggs and french fries were a comfort food for me when i felt yucky. Maybe potato and rice products would help your stomach.

Archived