This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Northeast Illinois/ Southeast Wisconsin

pnltbox27

pnltbox27 Contributor

hey guys i was wondering if any one had any gluten-free ideas other than outback steakhouse in northern illinois or southern wisconsin.it would be awesome if anyone could suggest a pizza joint

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

somegirl2004 Newbie
hey guys i was wondering if any one had any gluten-free ideas other than outback steakhouse in northern illinois or southern wisconsin.it would be awesome if anyone could suggest a pizza joint

I know it's not Southeast Wisconsin, but I'm from Madison, WI. You should head over this direction and check out the Silly Yak Bakery. Not only do they have wonderful baked goods (breads, muffins, cakes, cookies, etc), they have frozen gluten-free pizza that you can heat up at home. You can also check out Bunky's Cafe here in Madison (www.bunkyscafe.net) - they have pizza and pasta, I think. I haven't eaten there yet (I'm living on a poor college kid's salary!), but I've heard it's pretty tasty.

Hope this kinda helps! :)

grey Explorer

I'm in the same area as you, but very newly dx'd.

I'm not secure enough to do this (it may be a while!), but Annamaria's in Beloit is a very friendly (and family-friendly) neighborhood-Italian place. (They make their own pasta ... maybe they'd make some rice pasta???). Anyway, they've always been open to all kinds of special orders and they have good pizza, so I have wondered if they'd let you bring your own crust if you came when it wasn't busy. One of the books I read suggested this (along with all the cross-contamination requests); I'm not ready for that, but this place seems like at least a possibility. At least they'd be nice if they said no.

The only place I've eaten outside the house is the Willy St Bakery in Madison so far - a decent gluten-free cooky. (kind of an odd sandy aftertaste) But since my gluten-free Whole Foods bread (also Madison) has a touch of that too, I'm guessing it's the rice flour. the Whole Foods bread is great.

I'm going to try eating at JMK Nippon's in Rockford soon, as I love sashimi and there was a long thread here recently on how to make sushi gluten-free and it sounds easier than some. Let you know how that is. I'm also going to lunch soon, which I'm guessing will be mexican in Beloit, and I'll post about that too if it helps.

I used to eat out A LOT. That's the scariest thing about this! How was the Outback?

pnltbox27 Contributor

outback was pretty good, had the prime rib with baked potato and had the brownie desert, i cant remeber what it was called but it was awesome. hey SOMEGIRL2004 thanks for the ideas in madison, my family has a place in the dells we go to at least 5 or 6 times a summer, so i will be in the hood. also GREY let me know how the little italian joint is if you go.hope you get the courage to go, we gotta take chances every once in a while, tonight was my night we toke the kids to red robin in kenosha , the burger with no bun was good as were the fries ,but even before i got the check i felt the cramping in my stomach start, i barely made it home. oh well gotta continue living and cant make my family suffer, as we used to go out every weekend to try new places to eat

mandasmom Rookie
outback was pretty good, had the prime rib with baked potato and had the brownie desert, i cant remeber what it was called but it was awesome. hey SOMEGIRL2004 thanks for the ideas in madison, my family has a place in the dells we go to at least 5 or 6 times a summer, so i will be in the hood. also GREY let me know how the little italian joint is if you go.hope you get the courage to go, we gotta take chances every once in a while, tonight was my night we toke the kids to red robin in kenosha , the burger with no bun was good as were the fries ,but even before i got the check i felt the cramping in my stomach start, i barely made it home. oh well gotta continue living and cant make my family suffer, as we used to go out every weekend to try new places to eat

It does take a while to get the hang of eating out..after a bit you will develop a list of places in your community that work well. Keep being as careful as you can and eventurally you will find places that are willing and able to accomdate you.

• 2 weeks later...
VintageBoxers Newbie

Bunky's Cafe in Madison

Texas Roadhouse (ask for the menu)

Outback

Silly Yak in Madison

There is also an italian place in madison that will make spinach pasta for you!

It is Biaggi's Italian Resteraunt.

Make some dining cards, take them along with you. People are willing to work with you!

Good Luck

Sarah

sixtytwo Apprentice

Go to Imperial Gardens in Middleton on University Ave.------they will make nearly anything on their menu gluten-free and serve you gluten-free soy sauce at the table. Their egg drop soup is gluten-free. I hit that place every time I am in that town and whenever you hit a town with a Noodles and Co. you can always be assured that you can have a gluten-free meal............buttered rice noodles with a variety of toppings, I get chicken, broccoli and fresh tomatoes with parmesan cheese. YUM. I am not shy about eating out, I will not hide in my house------I get right out there. I went to several cities for 11 days recently and did just great, selected the restaurants according to their menu or their friendliness to people with gluten-free.

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pnltbox27 Contributor

thanks for the heads up barbara. i am a lot like you as i still eat out quite often im just selective on where and what i order.i think im on the lucky side as far as symptoms goes.i only get really bad gas and D, not like thats not bad .but some on the forum my heart goes out to them with some of the extreme symptoms...by the way where is middleton is it east or west of madison???im taking the kids to the dells in a few weeks so ill be heading north on our first of many drivesup there this summer..

• 1 year later...
blkgp1 Newbie

Hi, I'm newly diagnosed. I'm from the Kenosha area. I haven't even met with the dietician yet. I feel kinda stupid and I feel a little lost. Does pop have gluten? What about ketchup? I now it is a preservative and made from wheat but thats about it. I usually eat out and i can't cook very well. I work full time and am a full time student so I don't have much time to prepare foods. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi All,

This may be of some help, I found it when I was checking for gluten-free restaurants for a

friend who is travelling around the States early next Summer.

It's the GIG gluten-free Restaurant finder by Zip Code,

I'm assured it works for all Zips.

It will only select Restaurants that are

Compliant with Gluten Intolerance Group Guidlines.

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

• 3 years later...
jeanzdyn Apprentice

I am newly diagnosed (November 2011) in Rockford, Illinois.

For pizza - I know you are looking for a place to order pizza from that has gluten free.

Have you ever tried Kinnikinnick Foods frozen pizza crusts? I had not had pizza in over

a year and then I tried this frozen pizza crust for personal size pizza and it is delicious!

I just add my favorite toppings and enjoy. Not to give free advertising or anything, but

I decided to try this product and was very pleasantly surprised.

Menic Apprentice

This is an old thread, but both Marcello's and JJ Twigs offer good gluten-free pizza and have locations around Chicago.

Archived