This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Glucose Syrup In Mentos

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This is a first for me. I suppose I should have known that it was possible but I have never heard of this. Who knew you could derive glucose from wheat, just another ingredient we have to watch out for.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I "think" glucose (sugar) is corn durived generally, but apparently in this case wheat.

Nantzie Collaborator

Oh for pete's sake... Them doing this is so stupid it makes me crazy. I mean why on earth???

Gah!!!!!

:angry:

Nancy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It also makes me wonder if they can make it from wheat do they also make it from barley, they wouldn't even have to disclose that on the label.

Lisa Mentor
Oh for pete's sake... Them doing this is so stupid it makes me crazy. I mean why on earth???

Gah!!!!!

:angry:

Nancy

Guess we better stick to the altoids. ;)

jerseyangel Proficient
It also makes me wonder if they can make it from wheat do they also make it from barley, they wouldn't even have to disclose that on the label.

OMG, I never thought of that <_<

Juliebove Rising Star

And it has been in there for a while now! I knew of wheat glucose syrup because I saw some sorbet at Trader Joe's and wanted to buy it for my daughter. But when I saw that the glucose syrup was derived from wheat, I put it back.

As for the Mentos, we thought they were one of the few candies she could safely eat. She has food allergies in addition to wheat/gluten. She had been eating them and I didn't notice that she was getting sick from them. Now it's possible that she had been getting sick and I didn't relate it to the Mentos. I can't say for sure if they always contained wheat or if this is a fairly new thing. I just know that one day (I think it was last summer) she asked for some and I bought them for her. She ate one in the car and had a bad nosebleed then began complaining of her stomach hurting.

A few days went by and we went somewhere with my parents. My mom found the package in the car and told me to read the ingredients. She said they were going to buy some for her but for some reason she decided to check the ingredients and saw the wheat on there. Grrr...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator
Guess we better stick to the altoids. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

:D

Nancy

Kaycee Collaborator

It is quite commonplace to have wheat glucose syrup in confectionary here in NZ, so everytime an item just states glucose syrup, it makes me wonder, and I avoid, unless I know the source.

Cathy

Altoids, we don't get them here, we miss out on so much.

• 1 year later...
UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

is there a definitive answer yet, got some lollies here and I want go eat :huh:

pascal sorta caramal chews

ravenwoodglass Mentor
is there a definitive answer yet, got some lollies here and I want go eat :huh:

pascal sorta caramal chews

If the glucose says it is derived from wheat leave it alone. If you have doubts about any product the best way to find out is to call the company and ask if there are any wheat, rye, barley or oat derived ingredients in the products. I have found it is best not to just ask if it is gluten free as in some areas the level of gluten allowed varies and some items are allowed to be labeled gluten-free even if gluten ingredients are included if they are under a certain level or if the 'powers that be' have deemed that the form of gluten is not an issue, ie. vinegar or distilled alcohols.

elonwy Enthusiast

Mentos originate in the netherlands. It is much more likely to find wheat based glucose syrup in candies made in Europe and the UK than in the US. Mentos have never been gluten free, and the company does state that. I would not worry about random sources of glucose syrup with US based companies, but anything outside of the US I have suspicions of.

Krystens mummy Enthusiast
This is a first for me. I suppose I should have known that it was possible but I have never heard of this. Who knew you could derive glucose from wheat, just another ingredient we have to watch out for.

Hi all I live in Australia. My child has gluten intolerance/celiac we don't know which and so do I. Over in this country we have great food labelling laws which mean companies have to state where their glucose syrup originates.

Sadly I have to say that 95 percent of candy in this country has glucose syrup in it that is derived from wheat and I am assuming that this would be pretty common in your country too??

It is a lot cheaper to process than corn. I would check with all your manufacturers if I were you

Juliebove Rising Star
Hi all I live in Australia. My child has gluten intolerance/celiac we don't know which and so do I. Over in this country we have great food labelling laws which mean companies have to state where their glucose syrup originates.

Sadly I have to say that 95 percent of candy in this country has glucose syrup in it that is derived from wheat and I am assuming that this would be pretty common in your country too??

It is a lot cheaper to process than corn. I would check with all your manufacturers if I were you

High fructose corn syrup is the cheap and common thing to use here as a sweetener.

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

Good post I am a new coeliac but have been eating lollies alot without realizing. I always wondered why there were gluten free lollies... because I assumed they were gluteen free anyway I mean gluten come from a grain or something.... and these are manufactured lollies and freaking still have gluten its frustrating and annoying as hell thats for sure. So now no lollies either or flavored milk insert rest of the food Ive ever loved in this world

elonwy Enthusiast

Corn is heavily subsidized by the government here, which is why most of our products in the US are made from corn based syrups and starches.

• 2 years later...
dmunden Newbie

My son bought some Mentos today and noticed that it said wheat glucose syrup on it so he asked me if that meant they weren't gluten-free. I had never heard of that and since we're relatively new to eating gluten free (less than 6 months for both of us), I went searching on the internet. According to their website, Mentos are gluten-free, but according to this website, they aren't. I assume that anything derived from wheat, rye and barley means it's not gluten-free. Is this correct? How can a company say something is gluten-free when their ingredient list says it isn't? Do they just not know what gluten truly is and where it comes from? Please help!!

Lisa Mentor

My son bought some Mentos today and noticed that it said wheat glucose syrup on it so he asked me if that meant they weren't gluten-free. I had never heard of that and since we're relatively new to eating gluten free (less than 6 months for both of us), I went searching on the internet. According to their website, Mentos are gluten-free, but according to this website, they aren't. I assume that anything derived from wheat, rye and barley means it's not gluten-free. Is this correct? How can a company say something is gluten-free when their ingredient list says it isn't? Do they just not know what gluten truly is and where it comes from? Please help!!

Wheat Glucose can be processed to the level of being gluten free (or below the criteria of what is acceptable as being safe for people with Celiac to consume @ 20 part per million). But, law requires it to be listed as one of the top eight allergens.

The legal criteria in the US has yet to be legally determined. Labeling a product "gluten free" is strictly voluntary at this time.

Learning to read labels is the best course to determine what is safe and what is not. But, there is another level of learning beyond that.... B)

Also, please note that the genesis of this thread is over four years old and it may not be accurate, currently.

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php

"Glucose syrup

A gluten-free sweetener made most frequently from corn, but also from tapioca, potato, sorghum or wheat starch. It is such a highly processed and purified ingredient that the source of the starch does not matter. Even if you see glucose syrup derived from wheat on a label, it is still gluten free."

• 2 years later...
runningrose3 Newbie

Definitely a new one. I am uspet that this was not labelled due to the headache/tummy ache I have now.

• 4 years later...
plumbago Experienced

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me acknowledge that the start of this topic chain is a whopping 11 years old.

I found it after getting home from perusing the mentos row in a grocery store about 30 minutes ago and really really wanting some. But, like everyone on this thread, I noticed the words wheat syrup. What the heck? Then I see all of the out of the US commenters here saying that's how many confections are sweetened where they are.

So I went to the source (Mentos) to ask if they are gluten free, and am somewhat but not totally heartened.

"Good news is that all flavours of Mentos Candies and Gum do not contain gluten, excluding Spearmint Gum and Mentos Choco. We always recommend you take a look at the back of your favourite Mentos pack, before purchase, for full ingredients list."

http://www.mentos.com.au/mentos-faq#

So, if a pack of mentos has wheat syrup but is not spearmint gum or chocos, it is gluten-free?

• 1 year later...
DebOz Newbie
On 2/7/2018 at 8:29 AM, plumbago said:

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me acknowledge that the start of this topic chain is a whopping 11 years old.

I found it after getting home from perusing the mentos row in a grocery store about 30 minutes ago and really really wanting some. But, like everyone on this thread, I noticed the words wheat syrup. What the heck? Then I see all of the out of the US commenters here saying that's how many confections are sweetened where they are.

So I went to the source (Mentos) to ask if they are gluten free, and am somewhat but not totally heartened.

"Good news is that all flavours of Mentos Candies and Gum do not contain gluten, excluding Spearmint Gum and Mentos Choco. We always recommend you take a look at the back of your favourite Mentos pack, before purchase, for full ingredients list."

http://www.mentos.com.au/mentos-faq#

So, if a pack of mentos has wheat syrup but is not spearmint gum or chocos, it is gluten-free?

Hi

The crucial thing that noone appears to realise is that glucose syrup from wheat HAS NO GLUTEN. This was something we here in Australia were advised by Coeliac Australia a good 7+ years ago, I'd guess. In addition, dextrose and caramel (both derived from wheat) are also gluten free. So these three things, derived from wheat, don't contain any gluten.

Archived