This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hp Sauce-gluten Free?

dally099

dally099 Contributor

hi just wondering if anyone knows if HP sauce is gluten free. looked on the web and the heinz site says nothing, phone the company and got an answering machine, thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Sorry to be the one to break this to ya, but no, regular HP Sauce is not gluten free. I believe their steak sauce is ok, but the regular brown sauce is a no no. My hubbys favorite.. used to be mine too! lol

dally099 Contributor
Sorry to be the one to break this to ya, but no, regular HP Sauce is not gluten free. I believe their steak sauce is ok, but the regular brown sauce is a no no. My hubbys favorite.. used to be mine too! lol

oh see now im confused cause i finally got a call back from lea perkins and she said its gluten free, this is just the normal sauce, dosent say steak sauce on the bottle, crap its great in meat loaf. but my joints and being tired tell me otherwise, oh well what do you do? guess my hubby is eating leftover meat loaf tonight.

• 2 years later...
netjunky Newbie

Does anybody really know what is gluten free. I just made my girlfriend a steak(with original hp "steak" sauce) and she has stomach pains now. She had a mars bar earlier and found out that its not gluten free either.

she looked over the ingredients in the sauce and found nothing that was supposedly harmful. I feel so bad like I poisoned her or something. We will have to look up everything we eat on the internet from now on, no matter the ingredients

here is the list of ingredients, maybe someone can please tell me what was the harmful one

white vinegar

water

glucose-fructose

blackstrap molasses

tomato pure

dates

modified corn

starch

salt

concentrated orange juice

spices(would be nice if they said what ones)

onions

tamarind extract

concentrated apple juice

garlic

chili peppers

caramel

mustard flour

corn syrup

Wolicki Enthusiast

Does anybody really know what is gluten free. I just made my girlfriend a steak(with original hp "steak" sauce) and she has stomach pains now. She had a mars bar earlier and found out that its not gluten free either.

she looked over the ingredients in the sauce and found nothing that was supposedly harmful. I feel so bad like I poisoned her or something. We will have to look up everything we eat on the internet from now on, no matter the ingredients

here is the list of ingredients, maybe someone can please tell me what was the harmful one

white vinegar

water

glucose-fructose

blackstrap molasses

tomato pure

dates

modified corn

starch

salt

concentrated orange juice

spices(would be nice if they said what ones)

onions

tamarind extract

concentrated apple juice

garlic

chili peppers

caramel

mustard flour

corn syrup

I googled it, and it said the vinegar is MALT vinegar. That is probably the issue. The Heinz gluten-free list does NOT include HP.

J-Bo Newbie

I googled it, and it said the vinegar is MALT vinegar. That is probably the issue. The Heinz gluten-free list does NOT include HP.

Maybe someone with more info can verify this but as far as I was told that modified corn starch or any other modified starch of anykind is a no no for celiacs. I myself cannot have modified corn starch at all as I react horribly to it.

psawyer Proficient

Corn starch is gluten-free, even if modified. Modified starch has been partially broken down. Nothing has been added. It is true that some people with celiac disease have other food intolerances, and corn can be one of them. But the majority of us tolerate corn, and can safely eat corn starch and modified corn starch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

J-Bo Newbie

Corn starch is gluten-free, even if modified. Modified starch has been partially broken down. Nothing has been added. It is true that some people with celiac disease have other food intolerances, and corn can be one of them. But the majority of us tolerate corn, and can safely eat corn starch and modified corn starch.

Thanks Peter. I knew cornstarch itself was okay but had always been told to stay away from the modified. Like you said though, some people have different tolerences then others.

• 1 month later...
Redbirdgirl88 Newbie

hi just wondering if anyone knows if HP sauce is gluten free. looked on the web and the heinz site says nothing, phone the company and got an answering machine, thanks

i wondered the same thing..i thought there was malt vinegar in it but it said white so i went ahead and had it, but ive been feeling a bit irritated and tired all day...i think i read some hwere you have to watch for dates ( maybe the coating on them?) i also read some caramel coloring may not be gluten free.im going to try calling the company too!!

psawyer Proficient

i also read some caramel coloring may not be gluten free.

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
[Emphasis in original]
CHARBEEGOOD Newbie

Well this is a depressing day for me. Ah the search for a steak sauce, ketchup replacement, and is back on...

:(

Redbirdgirl88 Newbie

On my bottle it says white vinegar...

Redbirdgirl88 Newbie

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

[Emphasis in original]

thank you! i've been meaning to look up Shelly Case's site..

foodiegurl Collaborator

I would love if it was gluten-free. My husband is from England so this was a staple in our house, especially the Fruity one, that was my favorite. I must have read somewhere that it was not gluten-free, because I banished it from the house, but I really wish it was safe!

• 6 months later...
Janet H. Newbie

The Heinz website now has an extensive list of their products that are gluten free. It can be found at Open Original Shared Link For those of us who live in Canada - the HP Sauce Original, HP Sauce Bold and HP Sauce Chicken and Rib are gluten free.

Archived