This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab

pnltbox27

pnltbox27 Contributor

dx in feb by blood test and also upper and lower scope all came back positive for celiac, so i have no problem accepting the fact i have celiac and i am lving the gluten-free life, but my question is do i need to also get tested with enterolab??will that give me a better idea how screwed up my inside are??i see in alot of peoples signatures test levels and results and was just curious.. thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Nope. No need for you. You have the gold standard of celiac tests!

Enterolab is best for those of us who are negative for celiac but nontheless think we're sensitive to gluten. It's also good for someone who's already gluten-free and isn't willing to go back on gluten for testing.

Nantzie Collaborator

Nope. Enterolab is generally used when someone has negative or inconclusive tests, but still responds to the gluten-free diet as if he has celiac. A lot of people get enterolab to make sure they're barking up the right tree and it's not "all in their head".

Since you have positive tests, I would skip the Enterolab unless you want to do it out of curiousity. Some people like to know what genes they're dealing with, for example. They do a full genetic panel for all the genes associated with gluten problems (not just the celiac genes) for $150.

Nancy

pnltbox27 Contributor

ok thanks ,but one more question what will the full genetic panel tell me??does that cover allergies to dairy , nuts etc....?

CarlaB Enthusiast

No, it will tell you whether you have celiac genes or gluten intolerant genes. Unless you're Asian, you have either celiac or gluten intolerant genes as there's only one gene not considered to be gluten intolerant.

All it would tell you is whether you had one or two celiac genes. A few people have celiac with gluten intolerant genes, but MOST celiacs have a celiac gene.

The best test for other foods is an elimination diet.

Nantzie Collaborator

The genetic test will tell you if you have one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene, or two celiac genes, or two gluten intolerant genes. Two gluten intolerant genes aren't likely because you tested so strongly positive, but it's still possible. This is done by a cheek swab.

The rest of what Enterolab does is via stool testing - You can actually order individual tests, so if you're concerned that there might be another food intolerance going on, you can do that. They have individual tests for:

Casein (dairy) - $99

Egg - $99

Yeast - $99

Soy - $99

Gluten - $99

Open Original Shared Link

These are all intolerances and not the same as an allergy. If you go to an allergist they can identify any true allergies, such as nuts. I've never been, so maybe someone else can give you more info on how all that works.

Nancy

Nantzie Collaborator

Hi Carla! Sorry 'bout that echo (echo.. echo.. echo...) :ph34r:

;)

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pnltbox27 Contributor

thanks for the info. and the quick response

ENF Enthusiast

I had all of the Enterolab tests (I think), even though I was previously diagnosed with Celiac by endoscope and blood tests. Enterolab found two Celiac genes.

According to the results I have soy and casein antibodies, also. I do not know if they mean anything, but I avoid dairy completely, and soy as much as possible.

There is a lab run by a diffrent company, which Dr. Peter Green recommends in some circumstances, that does DNA testing. I cannot remember the name, but it's been mentioned on this forum.

Archived