This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Got Sick From Canola Oil?

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

My husband fried some fish yesterday for me in A LOT of Canola Oil. I am not doing well on a lot of oil in general, but MAN did I get sick today. I ate the fish last night (fresh halibut) and I felt right away that it wasn't to my stomach's liking. My stomach ached during the evening and I have been very close to vomitting today several times. My stomach hurts too.

I don't think I got glutened by accident, but who knows..

He put Bob's Red Mill potato flour and sourghum on the fish. I had some Raspberries in the evening and probably too many. They can be a bit too sour for my stomach.

Maybe it was a mix of everything... I am very misserable today. :blink:

I have been doing so well lately in general. Feel I have my energy back, feel a little like my old self. I have figured out I am very sensitive and don't do very well on any grains. Can have a tad of boiled egg sometimes and a tad of popcorn, but my stomach never seem really happy on much but veggies, fruits, pork, chicken and fish...So I am mostly eating that, which is okay.

So was I just dreaming when I thought I read on here that some Celaics have a problem with Canola oil?? Or maybe it was just the large amount that messed me up so bad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Some do have a problem with Canola, but did you use a cast-iron pan to cook the fish in. Many can be porus and a absorb pre-gluten oils.

Yenni Enthusiast
Some do have a problem with Canola, but did you use a cast-iron pan to cook the fish in. Many can be porus and a absorb pre-gluten oils.

No he used my own Teflon pan. Never used any stuff that I am intolerant to in it.

I do bad on a lot of gluten free stuff like rice, avocado, Quinoa...if I have more than just a little. Avocado isn't working at all and I assume that is the oil in it. I am guessing I just got too much oil in me and my stomach is hating me for it. I dunno.. I am very sensitive. I should have known better and not eaten it. He didn't plan on using as much oil as he did. :P I feel as sick as when I get glutened today though. More than just a little bad like I can get if I eat too much rice for example.

Headach, diarrea.. It is almost harder to deal with when you have started to feel better over all.

Anonymousgurl Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction! But at the same time, it's kind of comforting to me to hear that someone else has trouble with oil. I've been really worried lately because I can't tolerate ANYTHING with oil in it, so I'm not getting any fatty acids or omega 3s at all. My diet it completely oil free because when anything just has a touch of oil, I get intestinal spasms. Is that what happens with you? I hope that things get better for you soon...

Yenni Enthusiast
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction! But at the same time, it's kind of comforting to me to hear that someone else has trouble with oil. I've been really worried lately because I can't tolerate ANYTHING with oil in it, so I'm not getting any fatty acids or omega 3s at all. My diet it completely oil free because when anything just has a touch of oil, I get intestinal spasms. Is that what happens with you? I hope that things get better for you soon...

My stomach hurt bad last night and I get really, really nauseous. Diarrhea sometimes.

I think Flax Seed has Omega 3 in it; maybe you can put that on something you eat to get some of that in you?

Yeah, I have to watch out with oily stuff. Can't handle it well at all. So you are not alone.

This is the worst reaction so far, but also the most amount of oil.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jenny,

Honestly, it sounds like what you suspected--the mix of everything :(

It was probably just too much for your stomach--especially after eating so simply and feeling better.

I am a bit sensitive to canola--it dosen't give me a huge reaction, but I feel a little "off" after eating it. I use mostly olive oil--when I need something light I use Safflower oil.

lovegrov Collaborator

Somebody once upon a time alleged that canola was a problem for people with celiac but there's never been any proof whatsoever. I'm sure there are people who have problems with canola, just like there are people who have problems with almost anything, but it's not celiac related.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
Hi Jenny,

Honestly, it sounds like what you suspected--the mix of everything :(

It was probably just too much for your stomach--especially after eating so simply and feeling better.

I am a bit sensitive to canola--it dosen't give me a huge reaction, but I feel a little "off" after eating it. I use mostly olive oil--when I need something light I use Safflower oil.

hello Jerseyangel! Nice to "see" you again. I haven't been on here much this spring. I finally started working again a bit. I haven't worked since I got really sick and now I feel much better in general...well so I haven't had time to be online here much.

Yeah, I should just stick with simple. It just gets so boring sometimes. I have been having some popcorn lately and my stomach isn't really happy about it, but not real bad. I probably shouldn't have it often. I have been using the Canola oil making the popcorn..maybe I should try another oil. Maybe the Safflower oil would work? I can't do any legumes so soybean oil is out.

Still funny to me that I seem to react similar to you with a lot of stuff. Maybe those genes that we "share" is the reason...

Yenni Enthusiast
Somebody once upon a time alleged that canola was a problem for people with celiac but there's never been any proof whatsoever. I'm sure there are people who have problems with canola, just like there are people who have problems with almost anything, but it's not celiac related.

richard

Probably true. I have truobles with a lot of gluten free stuff if I eat a lot of it, like I mentioned, and this is probably that kind of thing.

I seem to just have a really sensitive system since I got sick with Celiac. It has always been a little sensitive but not like it got 2003 when I got really bad.

I seem to not do good on gluten free processed stuff. I have only found one brand that is okay: Enjoy Life. I made some Kinnickiniks pizza on Monday and I had to live next to the bath room the next day. So I do mostly unprocessed stuff, which is fine I guess.

Thanks for everyones replies!

jerseyangel Proficient
hello Jerseyangel! Nice to "see" you again. I haven't been on here much this spring. I finally started working again a bit. I haven't worked since I got really sick and now I feel much better in general...well so I haven't had time to be online here much.

Yeah, I should just stick with simple. It just gets so boring sometimes. I have been having some popcorn lately and my stomach isn't really happy about it, but not real bad. I probably shouldn't have it often. I have been using the Canola oil making the popcorn..maybe I should try another oil. Maybe the Safflower oil would work? I can't do any legumes so soybean oil is out.

Still funny to me that I seem to react similar to you with a lot of stuff. Maybe those genes that we "share" is the reason...

It's nice to see you again, too :) I'm really glad to hear that you're doing better and even working again--that's great!

I'm right there with ya on keeping things simple. I do much better that way, too--but it does get boring. I did try some popcorn the other day--I popped organic corn in the safflower oil--and didn't react! I avoided corn for months, and thought I'd try it. I don't plan to eat it often, but maybe once in a while.

I can't do legumes, either....yea, our reactions are so similar. It's got to be the genes! :lol:

Hope you feel better soon--keep in touch :)

Yenni Enthusiast
It's nice to see you again, too :) I'm really glad to hear that you're doing better and even working again--that's great!

I'm right there with ya on keeping things simple. I do much better that way, too--but it does get boring. I did try some popcorn the other day--I popped organic corn in the safflower oil--and didn't react! I avoided corn for months, and thought I'd try it. I don't plan to eat it often, but maybe once in a while.

I can't do legumes, either....yea, our reactions are so similar. It's got to be the genes! :lol:

Hope you feel better soon--keep in touch :)

I am gonna try "your" popcorn the next time. What brand of Safflower oil and organic popcorn do you use? I have been using regular popcorn, maybe I should do organic ones instead.

I can't do without this place so I am not going anywhere. ;)

jerseyangel Proficient
I am gonna try "your" popcorn the next time. What brand of Safflower oil and organic popcorn do you use? I have been using regular popcorn, maybe I should do organic ones instead.

I can't do without this place so I am not going anywhere. ;)

Glad you're sticking around ;)

I used Hain Safflower Oil and Arrowhead Mills Organic Popcorn--I bought both at Whole Foods.

If you try it, let me know how it went.

Yenni Enthusiast
Glad you're sticking around ;)

I used Hain Safflower Oil and Arrowhead Mills Organic Popcorn--I bought both at Whole Foods.

If you try it, let me know how it went.

Okay, thanks! I am gonna try those and I'll report back.

:)

Yenni Enthusiast

I tried the Safflower oil with my popcorn and my stomach did seem to approve of it better than the Canola. Probably needs more tests to really know for sure.

• 10 years later...
katedevi Newbie

I self dx in 2011 and have tested genetically pos for celiac. After many years of being gluten-free and still struggling there is NO doubt in my mind that Canola oil is an issue~it is simply a bad oil; highly processed, GMO (in everything) and most restaurants will never bother to use organic so that is what you are getting when you eat out. Any TIME I have something that contains it I end up w a migraine and feeling like I have been glutened for the next 24 hours. It's horrible stuff and  I also avoid Safflower for the same reasons. Sunflower and high qual Olive Oil keep me feeling good. Same deal with Xanthum Gum and many of the other subs used for gluten that you find in baked goods. Another thing to be mindful of is that many Celiacs don't realize they also have issues with histamine which can echo the symptoms of begin glutened and  is naturally found in many foods such as canned tuna, leftovers, spinach, probiotics and anything pickled.  It has taken a ton of research on my part as a patient and scientist to help figure this out and sadly my docs were zero help! The fish was most likely a factor. The only fish i don't have a histamine reaction to is the stuff that I catch, eat or freeze in the same day. I also freeze leftovers as the bacteria present in the food is what creates the histamine spike......

Victoria1234 Experienced

How do you genetically test positive for Celiac? I thought certain genes only made you a certain percentage - like 35%- likely you Might develop it? 

https://www.verywell.com/celiac-disease-genetic-testing-562695

katedevi Newbie
58 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Yes, the genomics can be viewed as one component , my  tTG-IgA test  was high positive initially and I was not surprised.  My 23andMe showed me pos for HLA DQ2, but there are other proven epigenetic factors : doing chemo, the increased gluten bred into the wheat supply and glycophosphate which leads us back to canola farming practices.   BTW full disclosure, I have worked in genomics for about 15 years....;)

• 1 year later...
Ed C Newbie

I do not have Celiac but my body does not tolerate Canola oil at all.  I am fortunate that I can eat just about anything else, but Canola Oil makes me sick (food poisoning type symptoms) within 20 to 60 minutes after eating.  I found out by complete accident a few years ago that it was canola oil when I simply fixed some scrambled eggs at a friends house and put a small amount of their oil in the pan before cooking the eggs. It was canola oil and I was sick within 20 minutes!  The good news is that after a few urgent runs to the bathroom I always seem okay again after eating it.  

It is becoming much harder now to find restaurants that don’t use it because it is cheap and being heavily, heavily marketed and sold by the Canadians (that is why it is called Canola Oil) so I eat at home a lot more now. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Started having vomiting within the hour of consuming anything with Canola oil last year. Just another food intolerance I added to the list.

• 1 year later...
Hoody123 Newbie

Hi Yenny, I realize this was years ago, but I wanted to post to make myself feel better and also because I wasn’t satisfied with any other answers! I was previously severely gluten intolerant but not quite celiac. With a change in lifestyle, lower stress, healthier exercise program (less exercise) and a thyroidectemy, I have a smaller reaction to gluten than I used to. At the most stressful time in my life- emotional as well- I would want to cut out my stomach if I ate almost anything, now I can tolerate a beer or even bread with some bloating but almost no aches. It’s taken 5-8 years for the change to occur. I associate my personal indigestion and reactions to stress. My body was not able to cope. That being said, I just learned to fry chicken yesterday and was really proud with how it came out. I used almost 1.5 quarts of vegetable oil (canola oil) to do it and then poured most of the oil out and made gravy with the drippings. Eating the gravy got me really sick. I know for me this has nothing to do with gluten even though I used glutinous self rising flour to fry the chicken and thicken the gravy. I feel exactly like I drank two heaping tablespoons of canola oil and it’s just sitting in my stomach threatening to come up. It’s been 10 hours. I was able to sleep and I don’t think I’ll throw up (I almost wish I would), but I also don’t want my body processing this oil. I guess it will have to. Sounds so gross. This stuff must be so bad for you. It will be a while before I fry chicken again, or I will try another oil that doesn’t smoke. 

trents Grand Master
4 hours ago, Hoody123 said:

Hi Yenny, I realize this was years ago, but I wanted to post to make myself feel better and also because I wasn’t satisfied with any other answers! I was previously severely gluten intolerant but not quite celiac. With a change in lifestyle, lower stress, healthier exercise program (less exercise) and a thyroidectemy, I have a smaller reaction to gluten than I used to. At the most stressful time in my life- emotional as well- I would want to cut out my stomach if I ate almost anything, now I can tolerate a beer or even bread with some bloating but almost no aches. It’s taken 5-8 years for the change to occur. I associate my personal indigestion and reactions to stress. My body was not able to cope. That being said, I just learned to fry chicken yesterday and was really proud with how it came out. I used almost 1.5 quarts of vegetable oil (canola oil) to do it and then poured most of the oil out and made gravy with the drippings. Eating the gravy got me really sick. I know for me this has nothing to do with gluten even though I used glutinous self rising flour to fry the chicken and thicken the gravy. I feel exactly like I drank two heaping tablespoons of canola oil and it’s just sitting in my stomach threatening to come up. It’s been 10 hours. I was able to sleep and I don’t think I’ll throw up (I almost wish I would), but I also don’t want my body processing this oil. I guess it will have to. Sounds so gross. This stuff must be so bad for you. It will be a while before I fry chicken again, or I will try another oil that doesn’t smoke. 

I think you are fooling your self when you say, "I was previously gluten intolerant but not quite celiac." Whether it's gluten intolerance or celiac disease you are talking about you don't get over either. They are life-long medical conditions baked into your genes. And gluten intolerance is often a precursor to celiac disease. What kind of testing have you had done anyway in order to arrive at these conclusions about what you have and what you don't have and how long ago was that testing done? Perhaps your "gluten intolerance" has develop into full-blown celiac disease. Furthermore, it is usual for people with celiac disease to not digest fats properly because of damage to the small bowel villi so that could explain your illness after eating fried chicken.

Hoody123 Newbie

Did my post make you angry? 

trents Grand Master
1 hour ago, Hoody123 said:

Did my post make you angry? 

Not at all. Just wanted to get your attention. Sorry if I came across too harshly. 

Edited by trents
raspberryfirecracker Contributor

Yenni,

Goodness I feel like I'm just going around warning people of histamine, but, well, the last time I got sick with fish, it was because I let it thaw much longer than usual and just about poisoned myself with it! Fish has to be frozen at all times from the moment it comes out of the water until minutes before you cook it, or you can get scromboid poisoning. If at any point the fish you ate had a blip in the frozen chain, you can get a food poisoning-like reaction; it's a histamine overdose in the gut, basically. I love seafood but I have to be careful to prepare it correctly because it doesn't take much extra histamine to make me ill. Just went through an attack of that in December, actually, due to fish! 

Completely unrelated but since people are talking about popcorn, I will mention, spent $15 on an air popper (no oil!) and never looked back 😂

Hoody123 Newbie
On 1/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, trents said:

Not at all. Just wanted to get your attention. Sorry if I came across too harshly. 

Cool. I don’t mind the warning. My understanding from pathology courses in massage therapy school is that gluten intolerance, gluten allergy, and many other terms are not yet scientifically defined. People use these words however they want because they are not yet universally defined. I was using gluten intolerance to mean a mild but noticeable and traceable reaction to gluten that included discomfort, pressure, and bloating. I was diagnosed with IBS and leaky gut in college when I first developed these reactions. I was not born with them. Therefor I do not have a genetic disease. I believe celiac to be one of the few properly used and universally defined terms relating to a gluten reaction (one of the strongest on the scale). I do not know if my understanding is correct, but that’s what I have gathered from personal research, talking to people I’ve met, and those courses I took last year. I don’t meant to bother or assume anything for the people who have celiac and/or worse reactions than me. Much respect.