This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Celiacs In Greece?

marlykarly

marlykarly Rookie

My son is living there until the end of June and having a very hard time getting gluten-free food. I have sent him several care packages..but bread molds before it arrives to him..

If you know of any place in or around ATHENS that he could get some gluten-free foods ..that would be Greatly Appreciated!!!

MTIA!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi MarlyKarly,

Baked goods sent by post or Courier will go off.

Why not send Bread mixes or cookies mixes, then he would just have to add

the bare amount of ingredients, and just bake.

Sorry i can't help re: availability of gluten-free goods in Greece, maybe someone who

had a long visit or lived there for a while can help ?

The following may be helpful.

Greece

Athens

Hellenic Coeliac Society

Mr. P. Plessas

125 Ippokratous Street

GR-Athens 114 72, Greece

Tel: 30/136/14/366 or 30/1/46/18/081

David

marlykarly Rookie
Hi MarlyKarly,

Baked goods sent by post or Courier will go off.

Why not send Bread mixes or cookies mixes, then he would just have to add

the bare amount of ingredients, and just bake.

Sorry i can't help re: availability of gluten-free goods in Greece, maybe someone who

had a long visit or lived there for a while can help ?

The following may be helpful.

Greece

Athens

Hellenic Coeliac Society

Mr. P. Plessas

125 Ippokratous Street

GR-Athens 114 72, Greece

Tel: 30/136/14/366 or 30/1/46/18/081

Many thanks..I am sending it off to him today!

He has limited kitchen usage, and even less cooking utensils.. Thanks ;-)

David

Marty13 Newbie

send rice uncooked

Annaem Enthusiast
send rice uncooked

Try to stick to some simple foods ie. Greek Salad which is just oil and lemon/vinegar + tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese. Fresh yogurt, cheeses like feta or kesari. Shiskabobs should be fine as long as they don't put a piece of bread on the stick or on the grill where they cook it. Marinade is usually oil, lemon, oregano, salt and pepper.

Annaem Enthusiast

Maybe you need to research where he can go and pick up some items.... I did a quick google search and came up with this...

Open Original Shared Link

Maybe you can email restaurants directly to see if they can cater to you. Once you narrow down which restaurants are in your area.

Maybe check out chain restaurants?: Open Original Shared Link

Perhaps carrying around a greek celiac card would also help

These are all suggestions of course. Im sorry i couldn't be of any more help. I haven't been to Greece since i was diagnosed so i wouldn't know what its like.

• 4 months later...
A Greek Celiak Newbie

Hi dear!

I hope it is not too late to let you know about your question...

Your son can find many gluten free products in greece through our parmacies (=drugstores). He can order through a catalog what he likes and he will have them in 1-2 days. The most well known brand here is Schar and Nutricia. You can get in their websites and check.

But whil ethis is not a very common desease in Greece, there are not many differenr brands and shops as in US.

My warmest regards!!!

A Greek Celiak.

My son is living there until the end of June and having a very hard time getting gluten-free food. I have sent him several care packages..but bread molds before it arrives to him..

If you know of any place in or around ATHENS that he could get some gluten-free foods ..that would be Greatly Appreciated!!!

MTIA!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Annaem Enthusiast

Hi dear!

I hope it is not too late to let you know about your question...

Your son can find many gluten free products in greece through our parmacies (=drugstores). He can order through a catalog what he likes and he will have them in 1-2 days. The most well known brand here is Schar and Nutricia. You can get in their websites and check.

But whil ethis is not a very common desease in Greece, there are not many differenr brands and shops as in US.

My warmest regards!!!

A Greek Celiak.

Are there any restaurants you can recommend in greece?

• 1 year later...
Rohan Newbie

To the Greek Celiak!

I'm in Athens currently, heading over to Ios, mykonos and Santorini in 2 days.

I've decided i'm pretty safe with greek salads, what about the meat? the gyros or souvlaki meat - should i eat it?

today at lunch - i ahd chicken from skewers and felt sick

today at dinner - fish oven baked with tomato ad basil on top (oil also i think) but felt sick. THey served it with rice.

Both times i've shownt he Celiac card, they ahve been polite and recommended a dish, no bread has come my way and no fries... but i've still felt sick.

Quite deflating, but do you have any guidance? especially re: meat?

cheers

rohan

Archived