This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Advantages & Disadvantages Of A 504 Plan?

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I think I need to set up a 504 for my child for the fall. This really upsets me and I don't know why? I have been very reluctant to have to label her a 504. What exactly does a 504 do? I know it provides legal rights which can be used for food allergic children, but what does it cover? How will it affect her daily life at school?

Who has used this in their public school system? What are the advantages and disadvantages of establishing a 504? Does it affect her ability to get health or life insurance when she is older?

My fear is that labeling her a 504 will cause resistance and resentment from teachers and staff at the school system. She just finished Kindergarten with an awsome teacher! But the nurse and the after care people really scare me when it comes to food allergies.

Any advice would really be appreciated!

-gypsy mom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Teacher1958 Apprentice

A 504 Plan is set up for students who require some type of modification(s) to function better in the school setting. The ones with which I am most familiar have dealt with kids who have had ADHD, bipolar disorder, and behavior problems. The specific areas of concern are identified in writing, and there are goals for the teachers, student, and parents. For example, one of the goals for a parent might be to provide information about Celiac Disease so that staff members will be informed. A teacher goal might be to monitor your daughter on a field trip to ensure that she doesn't ingest gluten. A goal for your daughter might be to wash her hands immediately if she comes in contact with a specific type of food item.

If I had a child with Celiac Disease, I would definitely want a 504 Plan, because staff members need specific instructions on how to deal with your daughter in regard to food, field trips, etc. This year there was a second grader with diabetes. All six second grade teachers, including myself, had to attend a training session in regard to diabetes and this girl in particular, even though she was in the homeroom of only one of the teachers. I was fine with this, because we really needed to know this information in case we found her unconscious or whatever. I have the little girl for science, and if she has any unusual symptoms at all, I immediately tell her teacher. I once had a boy with leukemia in my class, and I wish I had had some instruction on his condition, because I didn't know enough about it. (He's fine now and living a normal life after more than 5 years cancer free.)

I would not resent having a student with Celiac Disease at all, nor any other medical condition, and I know that my fellow teachers would not mind either. I think the reason teachers sometimes resent 504 Plans is not for situations like yours. It's in cases when we have to deal with obsessive parents who want their child to be treated with kid gloves and never have to deal with any stress. My pet peeve is when I'm told to reward a child for something that he/she is perfectly capable of doing, but due to being coddled by his/her parents, refuses to do. For example, this year I was supposed to provide a reward for a kid if she brought in her homework folder and assignment book every day. All of my students get a sticker for bringing in their assignment books each day with a parent signature, and I am not going to give this girl extra goodies because she did what she was supposed to do in the first place. Your case is totally different than this, and I know that the teachers with whom I work would be glad to do whatever they could to assist your daughter.

By the way, I have no idea whether this will affect your daughter's ability to get health insurance. Someone else will have to figure that out.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I would think the teacher would really appreciate the up-front information about your daughter and what she can do to keep her safe. I don't exactly know how 504s work, but you may be able to discuss it with her teacher for next year now and get a feel for how well the teacher will handle it. Most teachers will probably be fine, but there are some who won't deal as well as others and if you sense your daughter has one of those teachers, you can probably still switch now.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

My Brother had one for different reasons and my Mother said that while he really did not use it that it helped because it already established any issues that might have come up and had a plan for how they would be handled.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

My son has aspergers (a form of autism) and has 504 plan. The plan allows me, as a parent, to have input on how to handle my sons special needs. To me, this is important because as child changes teachers and schools there is written documentation to support my sons special needs.

Teacher1958 has provide a good description of how a 504 plan works. I will add in addtion that the accomadations and goals are reviewed each year. A parent has the right to request (do this in writing) a review, aka an IEP meeting, and the school needs to hold one within a certain time period.

Teacher1958,

As the obsessive parent of a child who in elementary school had serious behavioral issues I disagree with your approch to simply not to give the reward requested by the parents. I also don't think that it was reasonable to for the parents to request you to give the extra goodies. For my son a sticker would not have been the correct incentive to get him to care enough bring in his assignment and homework book. As a parent I made arrangements with the teacher(s) over the years to communicate with me as to whether or not my child completed expected tasks. I provided the reward at home. In my son's case it was TV, Computer, and Video Game access.

wowzer Community Regular

I would think the 504 plan could be a good way to handle celiac disease. You always meet with the teachers and principal. This gives you a chance to explain what can cause your child problems. My children had milk allergies, which I clearly stated on their cards. I don't know how many times they came home from school and had eaten ice cream, pudding, cheese. Those all clearly have milk in them. Many people don't know what the word gluten means. Usually they don't get to deal with the side effects. I would make it clear in your meeting that if they have any doubt that they should feel free to contact you and ask. I grew up with a little sister that is celiac and still when I went gluten free I found a lot to learn. The more that you can help them understand, the better it will be for all involved. I wish you luck. Wendy

janelyb Enthusiast

My child has an IEP due to his disability but here is some online info from a friend of mine who is an advocate in my area

Open Original Shared Link

and some recent discussion on another message board about 504 and IEP:

Difference between a 504 & IEP

An IEP is for special ed and related services and is governed by the Dept of Ed

and IDEA - a 504 plan is based on the rehab act and the ADA ad requires

districts, companies, etc. to make accommodations so that a disabled child or

adult can access a typical environment with needed adaptations, modifications.

Following are the eligibility criteria for an IEP.

the difference between 504 and IEP. Section 504 of the

Rehabilitation Act of 1973 "is" different than an IEP allowed by the IDEA

(Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). The source of funding is

different. And a child's rights within each system are different, namely, that

there are no due process rights to parents whose children are under a 504 (e.g.,

if you are unhappy with the results of the service within the 504 plan, you have

no recourse).

A 504 is to allow "children with disabilities who are not eligible for special

education and who would, thus, attend regular education classes, to be entitled

to receive supportive services (for example, school health services) necessary

to enable them to benefit from their school programs under other state and

federal laws that ensure access of persons with disabilities to state and

federally funded programs."

Section 504 eligibility is not based on a categorical analysis of disabilities.

Rather, Section 504 protections are available to students who can be regarded in

a functional sense as

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

I thought about a 504 plan for my dd when she entered school, but figured I would try it without unless it seemed that they were not accomodating my dd to my satisfaction. The K teacher was not very good, but Carleigh was smart enough not to take food from her. The school nurse, cafeteria lady and principal are all excellent. The first and second grade teacher have been great about letting me know about food events so that *I* can provide the substitute. Maybe at some point down the line, we will need to do something else. But this has worked ok for us for 3 years now.

Kibbie Contributor

I can tell you as a teacher that the moment I found out my daughter had celiac disease I was putting her on a 504 plan! I never found them confrontational at all... in fact one that is well written in helpful because I never had to do research about what was going on with the student, it was all there for me :)

As far as being "labeled" kids with diabetes, food allergies, sensitivities and stuff like that fall under the "other health impairment" So really all it means ius "In order to keep this kid healthy.... _________ and __________ and ___________ need to be done!"

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Thanks! That really makes me feel a lot better about it. I am trying to set up a suport group in our area (Fort Myers Florida) and gatehr all my info to have a 504 set up for the fall. Hopefully that will make next year run better :)

Archived