This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Liver Dysfunction

Marlene

Marlene Contributor

Hey,

Does anyone know about liver dysfunction and how it can cause intolerances, sensitivies etc? Or does gluten intolerance cause liver dysfunction? Anyone have any experience or done any research in this area?

Thanks,

Marlene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The autoimmune processes that celiac can produce can attack any organ in the body. Many of us are found prediagnosis to have elevated liver enzymes but this often will resolve after a period gluten free.

My twin, who seemed to be just as celiac as I was had an 'autoimmune destruction of his liver due to idiopathic (means they don't know why) origins'. I contacted his doctor about it when my DS was born because I wanted to know if it could be genetic. He was also severely depressed and drank at a young age. This of course excaberated the damage. He had a liver biopsy done a few days before an auto accident that ruptured the unhealed liver. 35 years ago, at 2 am tonight.

loraleena Contributor

I think gluten intolerance can cause liver disfunction. I know that I am chemically sensitive and assume it is because my liver does not detoxify the toxins quickly out of my body.

Marlene Contributor

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any experience with this, I would love to hear about it. I am starting to think that a dysfunctional liver might be why I have not healed as much as I'd like to on the Gluten-free Casein-free diet and why I continue to react to so many different things -- including smells.

Ravenwoodglass, I am very sorry to hear about your twin brother.

Take care,

Marlene

Betty in Texas Newbie

I hope your brother get's better, I was dignosed 4 years ago and I don't think I have healed all the way I had elvated liver enzines they done a liver profile one me because Dr thought I had hepatis but it was celiac. My stomach still rumbles really loud every time I eat and swells like I am pregnant . I just don't have engery I used to have It just seems like I am always having a issue. I would like to have the liver profile done again to compare but don't have the insurance. .

cyberprof Enthusiast
He had a liver biopsy done a few days before an auto accident that ruptured the unhealed liver. 35 years ago, at 2 am tonight.

Raven, my sympathies. It is good to never forget, but painful too. I wish you peace.

~Laura

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Raven, my sympathies. It is good to never forget, but painful too. I wish you peace.

~Laura

He passed so long ago that noone I know now ever had the joy of even meeting him. It is like losing a piece of yourself. Only someone who lost a twin could ever understand. I think what hurts the most is that it is so obvious in retrospect that both my Mom and him were celiac. It is hard not to think about what life would have been like if they had both been diagnosed. They were both in so much pain. Heck we all were. The powers were very kind to him, he only had a most 2 very painful years left, the accident was a blessing. But only for him. I try to think about the night of the funeral, we had the Northern Lights appear at a little after sunset, the only time I have ever seen them here. We had a party for him that night and all action stopped for quite awhile while we watched God light his way. I know he is at peace, or that he is back here in another shell, (my religous beliefs include reincarnation). Most days although I think of him constantly are not hard, the anniversaries are always tough though. It is hard to share memories with other family members who have no idea who he even was.

I guess I am a bit of a 'downer' and way off topic but thank you for your thoughts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SpikeMoore Apprentice

Ravenwoodglass

Sorry for what you have gone through. I know what you mean about most people that you know did not have the honour to know your brother. It is very comforting to talk to someone that knew your loved one, and as time goes by, there seem to be fewer and fewer people. My mother died of an unknown liver disease 25 yers ago when I was 11 years old, she had been sick since I was 3 or 4. She was a nurse and it was thought that she contracted a type of hepatitis at work, eg needlestick injury, but no one knows for sure because it happened so long ago in the mid 60's. The more I read about gluten, I wonder if it may have been an autoimmune triggered condition, (with a similar mechanism to type I diabetes) with underlying celiac. There are just a lot of unknowns.

nowheatnomilk Rookie

repeating sorry for what you had gone through,

I did fine this on the web.. just another thing:Open Original Shared Link

also read.

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-48107425404.b8

there are many people who cured Celiac disease by cleansing liver & gallbladder.

That is understandable, when we know that the liver gets "first pickings" of everything absorbed in the small intestine, which is where virtually all nutrients are absorbed, including glutens.

If you've got celiac disease, you have liver and gall bladder malfunction due to numerous intrahepatic stones and/or gallstones.

Celiac disease is caused by primary liver stones (intrahepatic stones).

In most people with gallstones problem, intrahepatic stones were first.

If you have gallstones, you have liver stones. Always. Proved by cleansing.

I have never heard of a person who only have gallstones, and no liver stones.

Every single person who did liver cleanse (after gallbladder removal) have got liver stones out (after liver was decongested).

Usually thousands of stones.

So, there is direct link between intrahepatic stones, celiac disease and gallstones, not necessarily casual link.

Intrahepatic stones are usually the first to start forming, or in the same time as gallstones are forming.

Intrahepatic stones block liver function and intestinal function.

Intrahepatic stones cause allergies and celiac disease.

Intrahepatic stones may be sucked into gallbladder, while naturally passing by, through main bile duct (after a fatty meal), and may be joining stones that are already there - genuine gallstones, or may be the first stones to be inside gallbladder.

As most scientist are not aware of how common are liver stones, but they are aware of the statistical link between incidence of gallstones and incidence celiac disease, they may be attempting to make an explanation of a casual relationship between those two diseases, while missing a very important part of a whole equation. Almost 50% of a whole equation is missing! Poor science!

Liver Anatomy: The Hepatic Vascular System

The circulatory system of the liver is unlike that seen in any other organ. Of great importance is the fact that a majority of the liver's blood supply is venous blood! The pattern of blood flow in the liver can be summarized as follows:

Roughly 75% of the blood entering the liver is venous blood from the portal vein.

Importantly, all of the venous blood returning from the small intestine, stomach, pancreas and spleen converges into the portal vein.

One consequence of this is that the liver gets "first pickings" of everything absorbed in the small intestine, which, as we will see, is where virtually all nutrients are absorbed.

The remaining 25% of the blood supply to the liver is arterial blood from the hepatic artery.

The Lovebug Rookie

Dear nowheatnomilk,

1. I've long suspected that I had some liver malfunction -- for one thing, I have a lot of bloating and swelling in my midriff area and for another, I have occasionally had a red, itchy rash which appears only in the area where my liver would be (upper right quadrant of my trunk).

2. How do you do a liver cleanse?

Sue

Archived