This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mylanta?

confusedks

confusedks Enthusiast

Hello everybody.its a long story but I have been in the hospital since Wednesday night. I am here because of my back but I reacted to a pain med and have had a terrible stomach ache since last nite. They have given me pepcid thru my IV and I was given colace for constipation cuz vicodin and morphine have been blocking me up. They just have me mylanta and I'm worried I'm getting glutened. Any help would be appreciated.

Kassandra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

You have every right to see the bottle they are getting it from....even if you need to call the manufactorer!!! As well as any IV drugs you are getting!!! Be polite but pushy! THe patient always comes first and if the nurse won't let you...talk to the charge nurse and then the Dept. Head!

confusedks Enthusiast
You have every right to see the bottle they are getting it from....even if you need to call the manufactorer!!! As well as any IV drugs you are getting!!! Be polite but pushy! THe patient always comes first and if the nurse won't let you...talk to the charge nurse and then the Dept. Head!

Thanks! I'm really annoyed because the dinner they served me I can't have ANY of the food! Ugh!! They also don't have a fridge we can store food in. This is so ridiculous!!

Kassandra

Worriedwife Apprentice

Ask to have a dietary consultation. The head of Food Services should be a least a little informed about gluten issues. You need to let them know what you can and cannot eat.

I have heard that Mylanta has gluten in it, but I'm not sure. The only one I'm sure about is Pepto chewable tablets. I think even the liquid may have gluten.

Just be vocal about your condition to everyone who treats you, and insist (politely) that you be treated based on your condition.

Guest j_mommy

You are in their care...so even if they need to run to the super market and get you food...they need to do something. as far as the fridge goes....baloney....the staff has to have a place where they can put their lunch!!!! Fight for it!

Sometimes it's hard to believe how ignorant hospitals can be!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You need to get ahold of nutritional services and also I would make a call to the person who runs the hospital. If you have a lawyer I would have him do it. Hospitals and doctors need to wake up to the fact that if they pay no attention to our needs we will fight back, we have the right not to have them poison us and we have the right to eat safely. I would do this as soon as I could. My biggest fear is having to be hospitalized, I know they would poison me, and have a big smile on their face when they do it.

Meanwhile have someone bring you some name brand pepto bismal liquid, it is for sure gluten-free I use it when needed and it works fast and well for gluten related tummy pain.

I hope you get out of the 'snake pit' soon. Good luck and get on their backs immediately, also record all your symptoms from glutening and keep records of all the meals they serve that are not gluten-free. Make sure they see you do this, keep the notebood labeled clearly and obvious. Sometimes the only way these idiots will take things seriously is if they think you will sue. Record your symptoms and the causes. Then if they don't listen contact your lawyer before you even get out of the hospital.

confusedks Enthusiast
You need to get ahold of nutritional services and also I would make a call to the person who runs the hospital. If you have a lawyer I would have him do it. Hospitals and doctors need to wake up to the fact that if they pay no attention to our needs we will fight back, we have the right not to have them poison us and we have the right to eat safely. I would do this as soon as I could. My biggest fear is having to be hospitalized, I know they would poison me, and have a big smile on their face when they do it.

Meanwhile have someone bring you some name brand pepto bismal liquid, it is for sure gluten-free I use it when needed and it works fast and well for gluten related tummy pain.

I hope you get out of the 'snake pit' soon. Good luck and get on their backs immediately, also record all your symptoms from glutening and keep records of all the meals they serve that are not gluten-free. Make sure they see you do this, keep the notebood labeled clearly and obvious. Sometimes the only way these idiots will take things seriously is if they think you will sue. Record your symptoms and the causes. Then if they don't listen contact your lawyer before you even get out of the hospital.

Thanks for the advice. I have been given so many pain killers that I'm so constipated and they have me meds but I think I'm getting glutened! I talked to the dietician and she was helpful but then she gave me a paper about being gluten-free and when she gave it to me she said to becareful of barley...DUH!! I could have told her about being gluten-free! Then the nurses get mad at me because I'm not eating! Lol. Every time I eat I feel deathly ill! Ugh!

Kassandra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

grey Explorer

Kassandra

I hope it is getting better. I think you are so much braver and smarter than I am for remembering to ask the right questions and being firm. I'm in the hospital now for celiac and they're doing IV therapy of vitamns and other testing. I know those are ok and they checked; but I don't trust the food but my doctor and the staff say it's gluten-free/DF but I don't know if they thought about checking pills, soy sauce and broth for me! And I was so confused and sick that I didn't even think to ask about the anti-D meds or the calcium med or the stomach acid med they gve me yesterdyy or todya.

The dieticisn mt me on adtmittance becaues i'm here for cliac stuff-but is not here on snday to help. one stratgy the nurse suggestd was asking for the recipes for food I was worried about/products-she sugsted I might get a good repsonse if I said I was having trouble finding gluten-free/DF food, what were they using?

goodluck. I hope your back gets better soon! (at least they're lettig you have pain killers :) my blood pressure's too low)

grey

debmidge Rising Star

Please consider calling the Social Worker or Patient Advocate who works at the hospital. This won't get the staff in trouble, but you might have a great ally in achieving what you need.

Archived